We will be back

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by The Wee Man, Dec 16, 2005.

1. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    ???? :mad:

2. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worked with at-risk youth (the fact that I spoke spanish and was a guy meant I worked strictly with young latino men) in San Jose for two years. I'm aware of the gang affiliation of red and blue in ESJ. However, I worked with numerous young men who were not involved in gangs, but who wore red as a sign of pride for the neighborhood. (Surenos (red) are kids raised in SJ, while Nortenos (blue) are kids who moved up from Mexico or So.Cal..atleast that's what the kids I worked with told me)

3. Olson50

Olson50 New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Durham, England
    Another reason why both red and blue need to be part of the colour scheme for Quakes Mk. IV. Not only would it provide much-needed recognition of the entire Quakes history and tradition, but having both red and blue as official colours could be a symbolic effort to unite the entire community.

4. QuakesPaPa

QuakesPaPa Member

Feb 10, 2004
    California - Central Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    How about something like this:

[​IMG]

5. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    First, let me say that I'm totally on board with bringing back the tradional red but I would be just as happy with blue again. A combo of the two?....OK, but it is true that half the league already sports those colors.

If Wolff buys a new team, there is the possibility that we could see the Quakes in green/gold like the A's. (Tampa Bay Rowdies, anyone?)

The thought also crossed my mind when SVSE was in the hunt that the Quakes, in an effort to stand out from the other teams, might switch to black and teal like the Sharks. Teal home kits?!?.....I could see it! I can't think of any club anywhere on the planet that wears teal kits (though I'm sure someone will correct me.)

6. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Sweeeeeeeeeet! I would totally LOVE to pull on a Quakes' jersey that looked like that! (of course, I'll settle for our team just to have a look right now.)

7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...for obvious reasons. I'm happy with either red or blue or some combination. If if has to be a different color, how about orange? I don't think any other MLS team so far wears orange. I'm thinking of something like the Warriors golden gate bridge kind of color. That plus the Giants orange, and it seems to be sort of a Bay Area color, though more associated with SF.

8. bluenblack

bluenblack New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    San Leandro, CA
    Holy smokes, that's hideous. Anyone remember at the City Hall meeting a couple of weeks ago, the woman who had white pants that looked as if theye were made of the traditional white/black hexagon soccer balls. Now those pants are much better than that item on eBay!

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    If you knew the relationship (I think) between the person wearing those pants and the person you just quoted, I think you should be thankful that you said something nice about those pants. :)

10. bluenblack

bluenblack New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    San Leandro, CA
    IMHO, this is the best suggestion so far for a kit if the team returns, (despite my posts elsewhere!). Let's defer to the NASL veterans and go from there.

11. bluenblack

bluenblack New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    San Leandro, CA
    Ok, I feel like a runaway ten ton truck narrowly missed me! Seriously, I those pants are cool. If I thought otherwise, I would not have said a word! :D

12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ah yes, I think I saw that woman--dark-haired, stunning, exuding charm, wit, and style. I love those pants, and I agree, the jacket is hideous, even if it did retail for $500 at Neiman Marcus.

13. bluenblack

bluenblack New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    San Leandro, CA
    Yes, that was the young lady who I saw that night. I reserved my praise for her fashion sense out of fear my girlfriend would be reading my posts! :D

14. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So much for Houston's (or is it Dallas's?) finest department store.;)

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I disagree. I love the NASL vets -- bless 'em -- but they aren't they entire Quakes fan base. And, we're trying to get our MLS team back (you remember, the blue and black one). just because some guys liked those jersies three decades ago .... i mean, what if they want to wear short shorts again! :eek:

I'm all for honoring our history, but it's gotta be said that for a large percentage of the fan base (note that I said fan base, not people posting in this thread) the Quakes have always been blue and black and always should be.

but that's just me. I mean, I wouldn't lose sleep over them being Red, but I still prefer blue and black.

:)

16. bluenblack

bluenblack New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    San Leandro, CA
    I see your point but without the older fans support of the first incarnations of the team, perhaps we would not have gotten to experience our own blue and black Quakes...

17. Olson50

Olson50 New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Durham, England
    I may live overseas nowadays, but I'm just as much a part of the Quakes fan base as anyone here. I've attended Quakes games and bought and proudly worn Quakes merchandise in ALL eras of the club's existence. I have fond memories of the NASL, WSL and MLS days and can't see any reason why the club's entire history and tradition shouldn't be recognized in the colour scheme when Quakes Mk. IV is born (sooner rather than later, fingers crossed).

I would also bet that there's a large percentage of the Quakes fan base whose memories of the club go back further than 2000 and who, like me, associate red and black with the club just as much as blue and black.

We have the chance to do things right this time, so let's make sure that the WHOLE legacy of the San Jose Earthquakes is recognized and represented in the team's look on the field and in the stands. :)

18. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

I would agree that the new Quakes be recognized as a team with a tradition. I always had the feeling that MLS, Kraft, and AEG never had any idea of that history. Without some outside influence, would we have had any of the recognition events? There are many adults who remember going to Spartan Stadium as kids, and the red, white, and black is a fond memory. I doubt there is really much trouble incorporating all of the history into the logos and kits. Someone is going to be very creative, without a doubt.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense to the oldtimers here (which would actually include me, since I'm old :( and I've been around since the NASL days), but while the NASL Quakes uniforms were nice, the best uniforms (in both colors and design) in San Jose pro soccer history were the 2000-2002 home uniforms.

If those were brought back, it would be even more distinctive now that the EPL's Arsenal hasn't used that exact uniform design in a while.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

20. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I for one like the blue kits,is not repetitive like the red specially in the MLS
    Fire,Revolition?,Dallas...they already use red.

I think our color is no other than the BLUE!
    (do not accept imitations :p )

GO QUAKES!!

LA LUCHA CONTINUA! :cool:

21. Olson50

Olson50 New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Durham, England
    Well, in the immortal words of the great Bob Marley:

"If you know your history,
    Then you would know where you coming from,
    Then you wouldn’t have to ask me,
    Who the ’eck do I think I am."

:p

31 years of tradition, my friend. Not just the last 5. ;)

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
  23. Olson50

Olson50 New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Durham, England
    :eek:

I can just imagine the scenes at the new 22,000 seat Epicenter as the teams come out of the tunnel to the sound of Prince's "Purple Rain". ;)

24. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    No thanks, I like being able to wear my team's jersey outside the stadium.

25. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    But there is no continuity or real connection besides the name and the type of game they play. From my point of view, the traditional color of the club is cloudy jade.

The color should be blue for the exact same reason the team name should be "Earthquakes" - they polled most popular on a survey conducted by the head office in 1999.