We tapped up Duff

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Matt Clark, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Makes me really fucking annoyed when we start acting like the Scum.

I know a mate of Chris Bascombe, the football writer for the Echo who wrote a less than flattering article about Graeme Souness in the run up to the Blackburn game. In it, he accused him of being bitter toward Liverpool because of his dismissal as our manager. After the post-match press conference, Souness asked to see him privately and complained to him that this was an unfair representation of him and that he has no problem whatsoever with Liverpool, a club he still "loves greatly", in his own words. He went on to reveal that his angry disposition toward Liverpool was down to the fact that representatives of the club had been ringing Damien Duff "every day", telling him not to sign his new contract.

Harumph ... we used to be above this stuff.

2. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    I wouldn't doubt it at all.... football is a buisness and sometimes it's those who go for the throat that are the ones who are standing last.

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, but we're LFC. We're supposed to be better than that.

4. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    So he loves the club greatly but will complain to a columnist that they made an illegal approach?

Grahame Souness: Misunderstood Man of Contradictions

Dave

5. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    If he's correct, then he has every right to be upset, whether he loves the club or not. I'm with Matt on this one.

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Me too, unfortunately. If Utd. had been doing that to Duff, we would be howling.

7. scouseratheart

scouseratheart New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    USA
    ditto

8. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to be upset, and that LFC shouldn't have done it. I just meant that it seemed a bit weird for him to speak of his love for the club and then give a columnist something juicy like that.

Dave

9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, bear in mind that I only know this because of my mate. This will not appear in any newspaper article Chris Bascombe ever writes. Souness was having an "off the record" with him, because he wanted to set him straight on allegations that he had a problem with the club.

10. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    That's cool, then.

Dave

11. robbief

robbief Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Boca Raton, FL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a real nice 'mate' you are, bringing out what your friend and souness said in confidence to a web site. good little tidbit though.

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    oh come on ... it's all over the LFC sites too by now. My mate was obviously not vastly bothered about what went where - or he'd have known not to tell me! :D

I do have you lot to think about you know. I dunno, you toil all day and what thanks do you get? Nuffink! Ungrateful little oiks, the lorrayers.