We still need a CM addition, time is running out, who are the realistic last min opt?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Bounty Hunta, Aug 25, 2006.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Re: We still need a CM addition, time is running out, who are the realistic last min

Thanks mom! You know me so well. :rolleyes:

The fact is, he doesnt have to say that. Anyone with any sense already knows that is the reality. Everyone already knows.

2. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: We still need a CM addition, time is running out, who are the realistic last min

Am I the only one who is having trouble understanding bennis's position(s) in this thread?

3. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

My position:- Fergie doesnt have to say what we already know. If he does say anything, I expect it to be "We are a world class side with what we have now" or something to that effect. That is not the reality. Im not saying he should come out and say the truth. But there is no point in him saying we are fine the way we are. People know we are desperate. Why try and cover it up now, when he and Gill have said how they are looking for a midfielder time and time again?

Now, Im not sure what you and the other cheerleaders are expecting, but you need to chill.

4. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary

Bayern are being real bitches about this, but oh well, maybe we can get him in January. The way we are, I think we can wing it until January. It's not the last time that Chelsea will mess up, their air of 'invinciblity' is gone now, and I think that has a lot to do with Gallas. I dont think Mourinho really knows how much Gallas not being their affects the team, the defense doesn't look stable at all. If Citeh werent such utter shit, they could've scored 2 against Chelsea at the Bridge. You really couldn't say that last season about ANY team that came to stamford bridge.

We're better off in midfield than last season, and while we dont have a true ball winning defensive midfielder, we proved that that doesn't stop us from banging in the goals in style. January, go for a A-Class midfielder.

5. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005

No problem. Now go clean your room.

6. Ronaldo07

Ronaldo07 New Member

Mar 2, 2005

i'm not sure if we will get Senna now but if theres a chance we can revive this deal then we should do it, but if i was in Senna's position i would tell them where to go and rightly so.

Maniche is avaliable, i think we should be looking at him and enquiring to see if hes avaliable and how much he would cost.

also we have been linked with Petit and Duscher in the past, so i'm not sure if we will revive any of them deals in the next week..

7. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

.....:( .........:( .....

*runs away from home*

8. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary

No, Hell no, and no.

:)

9. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry that I tried to get you to clarify your point, if you had one.

Also, I think your choice of "cheerleaders" is a bit silly. I don't see how not needing Fergie to give an honest assessment of the squad makes me a cheerleader. I would ask what you meant by the term but I'm afraid that your explanations would take another two pages and I still wouldn't understand.

Please post your last word on whatever this is all about and let's be done with it. Thanks.

10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

;)

Takes hook back.

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica

Petit committed to Benfica
    Duscher = Dusche Bag
    Maniche yes

12. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005

Why has MU never seriously considered Moutinho?

13. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Because we already have Carrick.

14. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005

I know its hard to compare the two because of the different leagues, but I have always thought Carrick was mediocre...kind of a last minute signing to fill the void.

It worked out well, but I still feel there were better options. I personally feel Moutinho was one of them.

15. Bounty Hunta

Bounty Hunta New Member

May 28, 2004
    London, UK
    No, I disagree. Spending a little over the odds for an additional top class player that can perform at the top level when you have limited options, limited time etc that will give the team that extra edge, that one extra option and increase the size of quality squad players. Things like this are the difference between finishing 1st or 2nd in the EPL or edging through each round of the CL.

Senna is the perfect example because if we could revive the deal to bring him to OT by offering 4.5mil a couple of days b4 the transfer window ending then the extra competitive edge it would give us could get us through to the next round in the CL e.g another 2mil to the club and further progress in the CL. It could aslo give us that extra quality in CM when we have players like Carrick or Scholes out, Fletcher scored a good goal the other day yes but him and O'Shea do still not have that extra quality in those tough matches won in the CM. We were trying to get Senna for what 3mil... what is the prob with an extra 1-2.5mil to aquire a player of his class, it would make our team so much better.

Spending 17mil on Hargreaves is well over the odds, he is good but not that good.... but to be honest if most of us would like him here and would be willing for our club to spend that much to get him then what is the prob with an extra 2-3 mil on Senna to get him as a second choice or perhaps coming in for the exceptional talent of Muntari for about 10mil. Sometimes you have to go that little bit further to be in a position to win things now especially with Chelski spending their millions in the EPL and opposition like Barcelona in the CL.

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I don't see how that is the case. They're trying their best to hold onto him as we are trying our best to persuade Hargreaves to come here. Neither clubs are doing anything wrong really. Owen happened to shoot himself in the foot by signing that four year contract not too long ago and all of a sudden he wants to go back on that. Bayern has every reason to be upset.

17. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

For the type of player Carrick is, there really were no better options. Ferguson has been interested in him since he was at West Ham (allegedly). The only reason it seems like a bum deal was simply because of the price we were willing to spend, quite desperately.

18. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004

Tbh, I think it has more to do with Makelele being injured than Gallas not playing, although ideally he stays.

19. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary

I admit, it is a messy situation, especially seeing as he recently signed a new contract. But he doesn't want to play for Bayern anymore, he's a grown man, and he wants to move. We are willing to pay top dollar, yet they still want to keep him against his will. He doesn't want to play for them anymore! Take the money, cut your losses and move on. But oh no, Bayern are too much of an illustrious club to sell to puny little Manchester United.

Fine, keep your unhappy player, we keep our money and get someone else.

20. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love to see Hargreaves at Utd., but in all fairness, Bayern still have games to play and with the time left before the window closes, they couldn't get in a quality replacement.

21. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey bennis, you used to champion Maduro. Have you given up or do you still think he would be a good fit? I ask because Ajax cannot offer him Champions League football this season.

22. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    There is no 'a little over the edge' for us. A little over the edge is the actual maximum real value of the player plus Man Utd tax and possible PL experience tax. We're not getting quoted fair prices, at all.

If reports are to be believed, Villareal wanted £8m for Senna. That is just not on.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying with Hargeaves. Are you suggesting that he is worth 17mil minus 2-3m thus being in the £14m-£15m bracket? He is nowhere near that, if you are suggesting he is.

Senna should be purchased for no more than £4.5m perhaps up to £5m. If we get quoted £10m for Muntari, I can agree with you, but if we don't (which is much more likely) then I can't.
    Yes, on A-Class players, of which, there are none on the market sans Mascherano.

23. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

First of all, Hargreaves is reluctant to put in a transfer request for whatever reason (he's loyal to the club and unless they approve of the movie he probably won't do it). Bayern have just lost their best player, they haven't been able to replace him, and Hargreaves is absolutely vital to their success this season. It's not only United, if it was any other club in the world, Bayern would treat them the same.

24. Bounty Hunta

Bounty Hunta New Member

May 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Since when was anything fair in football? The point is to bring success to this club by using all reasonable methods and it is a simple equation not just for Man Utd but for other top clubs that to gain that little edge on your competition you have to spend that little bit more.

Ok, I agree that is just not on but I would go to 6mil on the last day for someone like Senna as he has experience in CL, can score goals, and is an enforcer exactly what we need. I'm not talking about luxury players here i'm talking about requirements for the team and a quality enforcer (whoever it is) is the final piece for the jigsaw of our team.

No, I am not suggesting that Hargreaves is worth 14mil, I was suggesting that if the club are more than willing to spend 17mil on Hargreaves that would would be the big deal about spending 6mil on Senna who in truth is a probably better player and also offers more of a goal threat from CM which we need. The point is we need an enforcer in our CM and one should be added to the squad, not as a panic buy but as a requirement.

I more or less agree with you there although I would probably go an extra mil, especially for a younger player like Muntari who I personally think will be one of the most dynamic CM's in the world in a couple of years.

Personally I would rather have Muntari than Mascherano yes I know many of you will disagree because Muntari is still a bit raw but I could imagine him being a new Keano with the coaching at OT. There are several DM's I would prefer to Mascherano e.g Diarra, Gattusso, De-Rossi, Hargreaves but that is all down to personal opinion

25. Poborsky

Poborsky Member

Personally, I would have signed Denny Landzaat for the 2.5 million he went to Wigan for. He was in the Dutch WC squad, he's 30, wouldn't ask for a ton of wages, and is proper DM.

Obviously, Mascherano or Hargreaves would be nice, but I think we need a box to box type next to Carrick (albeit one who favors defence slightly over attack, so, an Essien type, rather than a Gerrard).

Mascherano and Carrick would be brilliant in Europe, since, as I have written before, we could emulate Barca's style of one destroyer and 2 playmakers, with one out and out striker and 2 brilliant players behind him:

Mascherano = Marquez/Edmilson
    Carrick = Xavi
    Scholes = Deco

Ronaldo = Ronaldhino
    Rooney = Messi
    Saha = E'too

I think in midfield, we would be equal to them, and while their forward trio is slightly better, we still look pretty good compared to most teams.

I do worry that over the course of a season, Mascherano and Carrick would only score 3 or 4 goals, which might not be enough of a goal-scoring contribution, but we've looked really good with O'Shea at DM, and he's obviously worse than Mascherano. I have a feeling Carrick will improve on his last season's tally of 2 goals in the Prem, with a better team around him. He might have scored against Charlton, but opted for a brilliant pass instead. He's a fine striker of the ball, he has better pace than people think, and he's intelligent.

Hmm. After that contradictory paragraph, i'm officially on the Mascherano bandwagon.

Hargreaves would be fine as well, but without either, we won't win the Champions Leauge, and that is a certainty. We could still win the Premiership, and the F.A Cup, but there will come some night in Spain or Italy when we need a classy DM next to Carrick, and O'Shea won't be good enough.