We need to work on developing a rivalry between Atlanta and Florida.

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Eleven Bravo, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *I'm going to post this in the Atlanta forum as well so that both sides can add feedback in their own respective forums. However, i encourage a crossover so that we can try to stir the pot some*

Don Garber and MLS loves rivalries. if anything, i believe this is a major reason for what is keeping the southeastern region of the United States out of MLS because of this myth that some believe that we do not have any natural rivalries. For example, why do you think MLS wanted to tap into all of the PNW? and why do you think they wanted a 2nd team in LA and now a 2nd team in NY? because they believe rivalries to be good for the league.

We all know that the more traditional southern states: GA, SC, NC, TN, AL, and MS (you could add northern FL, southern VA, LA, AR, and parts of TX, MO, OK, and KY as well) and Florida have a natural rivalry for one another. it's in our blood and we need to make sure that we stir the pot for MLS to take notice.

And i know, we all want a team in OUR city but we know MLS is not going to expand to 50 different markets that could support MLS. Also, despite the fact there will be some who won't support a team outside their city...many fans from the more culturally southern states will support a team within that region so long as they are considered the south's team, and i believe that many Florida fans would support a team within their state so long as they are considered Florida's team. With that, it should be noted, i'd be damned before i ever supported a team in Florida (i would possibly accept Jacksonville) and i wouldn't expect any Florida fan to support a team from one of the other states in the southeast.

In short, Florida fans and Atlanta fans (as well as all southern fans) need to work together to help display this rivalry. I know that the NASL is not a good indicator of success in MLS but we need to show this passion in our upcoming games. Also, we should be coming up with ideas for the name of a regional cup between us? Anyways, what ideas do y'all have to help us both in expansion?

2. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do know that Seattle/Portland/Vancouver are 3 hours apart from each other.

Tampa to Atlanta is like 7-8 hour drive.

3. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget Atlanta. Give us a Tampa - Orlando or Tampa - Miami in state MLS rivalry. :D

Atlanta and any Florida city couldn't come close to the same type of rivalry two of the big Florida cities would have with each other.

Regional proximity would cause us to try and create some bit of rivalry, but it just wouldn't compare.

MLS can be successful in Tampa and, despite my hating on Miami, in that city as well. Give us dedicated ownership and a front office staff that knows what it is doing and we'll show you.

4. Dynamo442

Dynamo442 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Houston, Tejas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bringing the Rowdies into MLS would be a goldmine for the league. They were hugely popular in the NASL days. I saw them play in Houston in the late 70's.