Post-match: We need to move some players

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Admittedly after England and Spain, I was ready for a haze and burn approach to fixing the US Team. While I still think the coaching staff - all of it - needs to be dismissed immediately following the Barbados series, I no longer believe that fixing the US pool requires a massive overhaul.

Instead, I think some evolutionary adjustments on where, how, and when we deploy players will go a very long way towards performance improvement. Here are the adjustments I recommend:

• Bench Boca. Both Bocanegra and Onyewu are reactive defenders. Neither one does a good job of anticipating play, either defensively or in attacking progression. We need to replace Boca with a more cerebral defender who can organize the back line. I wouldn't be opposed to even Jimmy Conrad in that role. I'd also like to see what Pablo can do. He was excellent there - especially in distribution - leading up to the 2002 World Cup.

• Bench Johnson. His attack kill:contribution ratio is something like 5:1. Whether it's a bad touch, being absentmindedly offside, or just wimping out, he isn't ready to play for us. Give him some time in England and let's see if this changes. We shouldn't play a target forward because of our Arena heritage.

• Bench Bradley. I realize this will be my most controversial recommendation, but the kid isn't ready to be our defensive midfielder. Too many mistakes in terms of (1) giveaways, (2) defensive missteps, and most importantly, (3) poor positioning and far too much play-chasing.

• Start Adu. As I said in one of the post-match threads, when Adu starts, he works within himself and the team and makes a big difference in how everyone around him plays. When he's a late game sub, he forces things he shouldn't. Instead of trying to reign Freddy in, we need to let him loose.

• Start Edu. He's our starting Defensive Midfielder. Strong in defensive positioning and closing down attackers, and our best distributor not named Benny. He may even be better than Benny.

• Start Sacha. Last night was a good example of a couple things I've pointed out for months with Sacha. He attacks space better than anyone else in the pool. He is a more creative, attacking passer than anyone else in the pool. He is not dispossessed easily. And, he is better than you might think in defense. Sacha needs to be playing as our right midfielder, right now.

• Move Dempsey. Sacha starting obviously leads to the question of what to do with Dempsey. I move him centrally in front of Edu. Others would say this should be Bradley's spot. I think the two should battle it out, but this is the role Dempsey ruled in while in New England. I want to give him another shot to see if he brings the same bite he did previously, combines with his teammates more effectively, brings the creativity he has in him, and crashes the goal like he used to. I'd try it out. If Dempsey's play doesn't improve, I'd sit him and try Bradley, then Holden, in that role.

• Try Rogers. I'm not ready to give up on Beasley, but I will concede he needs to work himself back into shape. Rogers is an option we should look closely at. I also think we should give Colin Clark a look. I just don't see Lewis being a contributor in 2010, although he should probably start against Barbados. Still, we need to deepen the pool here, and Bradley hasn't accomplished that.
    None of these changes should be seen as drastic. They are adjustments to a pool that's starting to select itself. They are adjustments towards a better attacking balance. They bring our best performers onto the field and put those players in positions where they can be successful.

2. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with most of your suggestions (including a coaching change, although as anti-Bradley as I am I'd be OK keeping him around for the semifinal round if it means getting a quality replacement rather than rushing the decision), but if you're looking to start Edu, Kljestan, Adu, AND Dempsey where are those guys playing?? A 4-2-3-1 with Adu, Dempsey, and LD in front of Edu and Kljestan (which incidentally is what I prefer, except with Clark in for Kljestan for now)??

3. cc-atl

cc-atl Member

Jul 8, 2005
    I agree with many of your comments. I just do not think it some of it is going to happen. As long as Bradley is coach I think we will see 4 defenders and 2 deep lying mids. I think the two deep lying mids will come from the following group:

Group 1
    Bradley
    Clark
    Edu
    Mastroeni
    Feilhaber (maybe eventually)

That leads 4 spots for:
    Group 2
    Donovan
    Adu
    Beasley
    Dempsey
    Altidore
    E.J.
    Lewis
    Klejstan

Many of us would like to see Bob replace one of his starting CMs in Group 1 with either Dempsey, Adu, Donovan, or maybe Klejstan from Group 2. But I do not think we will see it happen. If we do it will be against a team like Barbados and who cares if we do it against Barbados if we are not going to do it against top competition.

4. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    ------------- Altidore
    ------------- Donovan
    ------ Adu - Dempsey - Kljestan
    --------------- Edu
    Pearce - Parkhurst - Soumare - Dolo
    ------------- Howard

You can play with Adu and Donovan, sub out Altidore and put in Rogers, Beasley, or Lewis, etc.

I could not possibly care less what Bradley, Sarachan, Hackworth, and Nowak will or would do.

5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boca - Agreed. There is a reason why Boca saw the bench most of last season for Fulham and he wasn't resigned by them. Too many mistakes and poor distribution.

Johnson - Semi-Agreed. Unfortunately, near term, EJ has played the most with the players who have played most recently with the US. Altitore's is probably more focused on his transfer and the Olympic's to be much help. Cooper hasn't played enough. Ching is an option. I agree 100% about not having to play a target forward.

Bradley - Agreed. Not in form and not ready.

Adu and Edu - Agreed. Only think they can get better.

Sacha - Haven't seen him enough to make this decision. Liked him yesterday, but didn't like him in the U20 tournament. I would like to see him take Dempsey's place out right.

Dempsey - Disagree. He needs to sit. Not in form. Do agree that moving him to the middle would be better.

Rogers - Agreed.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A lot of these changes require a change in the formation and the change of the style the US has been playing.

Personally, I'd go to a Diamond at home vs. Barbados, with Adu behind Donovan and Johnson.

Altidore is in Europe somewhere and Ching hasn't played with the Nats because Bob values his MLS connections.

So it's Eddie by default.

And, since Bob hasn't bloodied Rogers or Cooper, it's Dempsey on the right and Beasley on the left.

Ah, this 3-game series was wonderful.

We learned so much from it.

7. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Least controversial of your recommended benchings, IMO. I don't understand how it isn't obvious to more people that Edu brings so much more to the table than MB.

8. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Bench Boca - reasonable
    Bench Johnson - Altidore's rarely available right now. Someone has to play that's a forward. Maybe i'm wrong and Adu/Donovan would work, but I think you'd need a champions league level midfield to get them the ball.
    Bench Bradley - I won't touch this one for the sake of this argument. Twin d mids are a given for us though until we fire Bob.
    Start Adu - You have to bench Dempsey but i'm all for it. Will have to work out on field roles with him/Donovan/Beasley as a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 whatever you want to call it.
    Start Edu - he's already got .333 spots with pablo/clark. I'd say Edu's won that one over the last 3 games.
    Start Sacha - no room best xi, but he's earned his right to compete for the next available slot.
    Move Dempsey - Dempsey has no position he excels in. He's an ok forward, ok cm and ok rm. I'd move him to ok on the bench and he'd be good depth.
    Try Rogers - Should have been Beasley's backup for this series instead of Lewis or in addition to him. Let's just get him in the olympics at this point.
    Start Soumare instead of Gooch(we see you slipped that in) - Pointless drivel. Soumare's not even an American.
    None of these changes should be seen as drastic. - You changed the entire team except for 4.33 players. I assume you're wanting to do this right now all at once for qualifying? That's drastic.

9. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see a thread concentrating on some positives for a change. :)

A few stray comments

- Too bad we haven't seen more Edu in the past few matches. He seems to be have the stomach for the big time.

- Too bad we haven't seen more Demerit in the past year. He looks like he belongs.

- Too bad we haven't seen more Adu in the past year. The team looks a lot better when it's attacking rather than on its heels. Like Nutmeg's been saying, leaving Adu off the field puts more pressure on the team all over the field.

- Timmy made us look better than we were. How long has it been since we had a goalkeeping effort like that? Korea?

10. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Then how about a compromise Bob? (not speaking directly to poster),

We accept your lack of over-all confidence in your own players and accept the fact that you are going to play at the ODP level,tactically speaking.
    If we accept this, then you must accept the fact that Michael can not be on the field when you do play this way; which is not to say that he isn't a talented player, merely that, evidently, the coaching he is receiving at the club level is far more advanced then you or your coaching staff can comprehend. Until there is a marked improvement in your ability to place your arms around the actual ability of your own players, you, Bob Bradley, do swear to abide by the conditions herein.

Please sign and date below,

Regards

Date:___________________________

11. obewan

obewan New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're pretty close, Nutmeg. As Sam Hamwich said on another thread, our team screams for a 4-3-3. Based on current form, I would try this:

-----Adu ------ Dempsey ---- Donovan --

--- Beasley ------ Edu ------ Kljestan ----

Pearce - Bocanegra - Onyewu - Cherundolo

---------------- Howard -----------------

There's no reason we shouldn't be able to run this against almost anyone in CONCACAF (exception - Mexico). I would revert back to a base 4-4-2 against Mexico. Although Dempsey isn't your prototypical center forward, he is a poacher of goals and is good at managing play and distributing the ball.

I'm not just suggesting Sacha based on his performance against Argentina, I have seen him in action in MLS this year and have been impressed (the few times I've seen him).

12. muusa

muusa New Member

May 29, 2006
    Houston
    I agree with a lot of what Nutmeg said, but if we're going to disregard what Bob will do (ie twin DMs), I'm going to disagree with the definite benching of Michael. I personally think that we're probably best served playing a 4-1-2-2-1, which would end up looking like this:

----------GK----------
    RB-----CB---CB-----LB
    ----------DM----------
    -----CM--------CM----
    ----AM-----------AM--
    ----------ST----------

I think LB and RB are set with Pearce and Cherundolo. Personally, I like Gooch as one of the CB, as Nutmeg said, as long as Bocanegra isn't the other CB. I agree we need a better reader of the game to play next to Gooch, and at the moment the best we have IMO is Parkhurst.

The DM is Edu, I really don't think there's much room for discussion here.

The two CM spots are where it gets interesting for me. I think this is a role that Michael could excel in, giving him room to attack, and not have quite as much defensive responsibility. There are 3 other strong options in my opinion, Dempsey, Kljestan, and ideally Feilhaber if he can regain his form from last summer. Give all 4 the shot to fight it out and play the best 2.

Adu and Donovan are the AMs. They would be given free roles, allowing them to play right off the striker, or letting them drift out wide with one of the CMs pushing up to attack. I don't think we HAVE to play with wingers since both Pearce and Cherundolo are strong in attack, and both Donovan and Adu can provide width when needed.

At striker I think it should be Ching's job until Altidore is ready to go. No more Johnson until he starts scoring for Fulham.

13. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of comments.

I think you are stretching for a role for Dempsey. If Klejstan starts on the right, and I would definitely consider it, if not now, then after a few more performances, then Dempsey should either beat out Beasley on the left (not happening at the moment) or sit. Going back to his New England days is too much of a stretch for me, especially since his turnover rate and passing ability don't seem to me to be up to speed, not to mention is matador defense.

I understand your aggressiveness, but I think you are discounting the positive impact Pablo had on our tactical shape. Mastroeni, though he did get forward at times, basically allowed the other center mid to get forward better. Bradley himself looked better even, and Edu took slightly better advantage of this improved central midfield shape. I am not sure Edu is going to do as well without Mastroeni carrying the water.

Finally, either you don't value Landon Donovan, or more likely, you are proposing a forward line of Adu and Donovan. I am not dismissing it -- Roma played great for several years without anything resembling a lead forward -- but I think Johnson's combination of power and speed created more space and opportunities for his teammates, as well as him, than you credit. I think the optimal combination is one where Ching, Altidore, Cooper or even EJ himself step up to the plate. Of course, none of them have yet, so I agree that Adu/Donovan is worth considering.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately I agree with you. If he had used the 3 games possibly, we'd probably have gone in starting Cooper or Altidore, and possibly had a use for Rogers as well. As it stands, he gave the old guard 3 run outs and left us in a position where it isn't feasible to start anyone but Johnson and Dempsey, who haven't been good. People have complained about EJ, but Dempsey has been AWFUL. We should be glad this is Barbados.

15. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I don't understand how it isn't obvious to more people that Mastroeni brings more to the table than either of them.

16. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Ha. Keep digging.

17. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Germany '06.

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Vs. Barbados, the US should play with two "clean" strikers and no obvious destroyers.

Unfortunately, Bob hasn't played with two clean strikers yet and has always gone with twin destroyers.

In preparation for the qualifiers.

Oy, vey.

19. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---------Howard

Dolo----DeMerit---Spector---Pearce

------------Edu

------Dempsey-----Bradley

--------Adu--------Donovan

-----------Johnson/Altidore

20. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Adu has to be played as a froward, as he is an ineffective defender. That means you move Donovan to midfield. Dempsey I just dislike in that midfield as well as he clutters it up. He will basicly be taking touches from other players who I think you want to have them. You could however easily start him at forward in place of Altidore. And Id prefer playing Edu with a slightly more defensively minded central mid then as a pure defensive mid.

This is of course, if you are building your attack around Adu and Donovan, who I think are best in the quick transition into attack. A guy like Dempsey I think can fit in the midfield in a more possession oriented game. And I think if your building for a more deliberative US attack, well you completely rewrite the lineup, and consider some players you wouldn't normally.

As for Boca, I would prefer him over Oneywu, though thats moot if you take both out. I dont believe Soumare is a guy you can write into a US lineup, due to outstanding citizenship and other national team eligibility related issues.

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    We took Orozco all over the place and never played him...in the Olympic qualies he was that cerebral type central defender, and I thought our best defender.

Agree with everyone thing you said, but I want to change on thing. Move Dempsey to the bench, and start Rogers. I can live with a Bradley/Feilhaber with Edu so long as they step forward. Dempsey pisses me off with his play though.

22. Savant

Savant New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Fontana
    you know whats messed up is that Edu was only called in due to the Feilhaber injury.

Although we had a good showing against the Argentines, our line up with two defense midfielders will only work if we have a creative middle fielder ahead. Bradley is trying to produce that successful French line up with Viera and Makelele, but we don't have a Zidane to spread the defense OR we're not trying to give a player a chance to fill that role the best they can.

23. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I actually believe in attack by committee. I think Adu and Donovan would interchange positions as the situation suggests. I think Dempsey could play well in that scheme as well. Where each is lined up on a paper roster doesn't mean much to me. I do not want to see Dempsey misplayed as a striker anymore.

Gooch is a little better physically and a much better distributor. That's why I prefer him. I'd take what I've seen of Soumare over both in a heartbeat, though.

24. shinzui

shinzui New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gulf Shores
    I think Edu would be an upgrade over every central defender in our player pool. Spain's defenders especially were comfortable with the ball at their feet and making decisive passes to start attacks. That is something we are definitely missing. Edu-Spector would be a superior pairing over Bocanegra-Onyewu

25. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    And England beats us 4-0 and we still have no attack...