We need defenders!

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by lesliemoss, Jul 15, 2011.

1. lesliemoss

lesliemoss New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Malibu, California
    Last year, the Hammers had just about the worst defence in the EPL. Only 2 teams conceded more goals (and only one scored less);
    since then, we've lost 5 international defenders; Upson, Bridge, Gabbidon, Jacobsen, and Spector.So who do we currently have?
    Reid, Tomkins, Ilunga, Faubert, Faye, plus 3 kids, Spence, Fry and Brown. Spence has played 2 games in the first team.
    This doesn't seem to auger well in the Championship, does it? I hope Allardyce can bolster this group with some solid and experienced backs.
    We don't know yet who else will go from the midfield, but Parker seems sure to depart, and Collison might also. Cole will probably go also, and we're left with a bunch of youngsters , plus Piquionne.
    I don't see that this is a squad that can go straight back up;
    Am I missing something?

2. shootemhigh

shootemhigh Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I think you summed it up in your first paragraph - almost the worst defence in the EPL - well now we have lost most of those idiots. I'm glad, I reckon we could put the reserve defence in even the under 17's and they would do a much better job. The defence also relies on sound goalkeeping hopefully we'll have that in the future.

PS. I see Faubert gave away a penalty the other night..hmmm.

Cole still with us - not going to Stoke, he is a good player when he puts his mind to it, hopefully a reduced salary will keep him focused.

I guess the big question is which goalkeeper will W Ham be using this season.

3. WestHamUtdFC

WestHamUtdFC Member

Aug 15, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Dont forget Da Costa. But i agree that its odd we only brought in one defender. But i think its odder that we havent gotten rid of even more of the defense. ALL of the vets were awful and we are still stuck with a few of them. Might as well go young, all of these guys have been loaned out and playing championship ball anyways but now they will have a much better midfield in front of them as support.

4. lesliemoss

lesliemoss New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Malibu, California
    I won't forget him, but he's been transferred to Lokomotiv Moscow!!!!!

5. WestHamUtdFC

WestHamUtdFC Member

Aug 15, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

I was kinds being facetious since he is an international that left but was part of our awful back line.

Hard to imagine this team any better at the moment back there. Hopefully Sam can really straighten them out or a couple young guys really step up.

6. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    We have nowhere to go, but up with that defense. That D was atrocious last year. Matt Upton was seriously the biggest boat anchor I have ever seen as a CB. I am saw him play with my own eyes at the Boleyn Ground and wondered how the hell he made the England squad for WC 10. That guy flat out sucked donkey balls.