we need an anthem!!!!

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by bigal614, Oct 28, 2008.

1. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes. Completely. Absolutely.

2. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've been talking about this being our anthem for some time- are we going to make it official and sing it at halftime or at the end of the game? The lyrics aren't demanding or anything. And no more of the "coldplay is gay" crap. YNWA is really slow. And those west ham tossers have a song about blowing ********ing bubbles.

Look at the stars,
    Look how they shine for you,
    And everything you do,
    Yeah, they were all yellow.
    I came along,
    I wrote a song for you,
    And all the things you do,
    And it was called "Yellow".
    So then I took my turn,
    Oh what a thing to have done,
    And it was all "Yellow."
    Your skin,
    Oh yeah your skin and bones,
    Turn into something beautiful,
    You know, you know I love you so,
    You know I love you so.
    I swam across,
    I jumped across for you,
    Oh what a thing to do.
    Cos you were all "Yellow",
    I drew a line,
    I drew a line for you,
    Oh what a thing to do,
    And it was all "Yellow."
    Your skin,
    Oh yeah your skin and bones,
    Turn into something beautiful,
    And you know,
    For you I'd bleed myself dry,
    For you I'd bleed myself dry.
    It's true,
    Look how they shine for,
    Look how they shine.
    Look at the stars,
    And all the things that you do.

3. bigal614

bigal614 Member

Oct 19, 2008
    columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no ones gona know all the lyrics you will need to print them out or have a sign or have the FO put the on the big screen

4. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't print off more than 20 copies. Its one of those songs that only takes couple times before you can start singing soem of it, but people'll probably be too drunk anyway to remember the whole thing if they memorized it.

5. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    first 8 or 10 lines is all you need I think the idea is great...

6. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably too late to do it, but is there anyway we could have this up on the screen for tomorrow?

7. WarriorDome

WarriorDome Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 27, 2008
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about we don't do anything new like trying out the an anthem and mess up our mojo. Let's save that for next season...

8. Hoolie McGee

Hoolie McGee New Member

May 17, 2008
    Massive, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really glad I posted this idea before the first New England game. ;)

Woohoo!

9. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^^^
    i remember this being mentioned a really long time ago, no idea why it didn't materialize

and you're probably right about not being able to get this together well enough by tomorrow night

10. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Coldplay is pretty far along, and I'm not saying it's a bad idea. But has anyone thought of Layla since Clapton has some ties to the area?

11. OH crew IO

OH crew IO New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm on the Coldplay "Yellow" bandwagon but there is also a local band called "Mors Ontologica" who belt out a nice tune called "Massive Action". This could be done eventually for obvious reasons. Some lyrics include....in a repeated yelling voice,

"WE NEED A MASSIVE ACTION NOW
    WE NEED A MASSIVE ACTION NOW
    WE NEED A MASSIVE ACTION NOW
    WE NEED A MASSIVE ACTION NOW"!!!!

Got it??? ;)

Actually listening to it again as I type maybe this is better for them to play over the speakers instead of us singing it on our own. Nevermind, you never saw me.

(wanna hear the song go to playlist.com and just type in "Massive Action", you dont have to register or sign in.)

12. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    It should really end with "For you I bleed myself dry" sums up a supporter's feelings for his/her club perfectly. All the stuff after that is just to have something to sing while they play their gutairs louder and hit the drums harder anyway.

13. bigal614

bigal614 Member

Oct 19, 2008
    columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just can't bring myself to like yellow another idea expand on the fools rush in chant.
    it's by the king i don't think anyone has a problem with him. i think it might be easier to learn as well.

Wise Men say
    only fools rush in
    but I cant help
    falling in love with you(crew?)

Shall I stay
    would it be a sin
    if I can't help falling in love with you...

Like a river flows, surely to the sea
    Darlin so it goes, somethings are meant to be..
    Take my hand, take my whole life too
    for I can't help fallin in love with you...

Like a river flows, surely to the sea
    Darlin so it goes, somethings are meant to be..

Take my hand take my whole life too for I cant help
    falling in love with you

for I cant help falling in love with...... you.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qvEE5jBpBmU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qvEE5jBpBmU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

thoughts?

14. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump

[youtube]ZV3fdEBWTN0[/youtube]

This is the only option. Listen to the crowd at the start of the song and tell me that isnt awesome

15. WarriorDome

WarriorDome Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 27, 2008
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^^agreed....someone needs to get it together with the FO. Have it play as the teams come out of the tunnel and let the supporters sing it with the scarves up...it won't take but a few times before the whole stadium catches on and a tradition is born. Imagine a day when Crew Stadium is filled with the block scarves and singing...much like Celtic Park is now...http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2419/2074080124_f73cb164e2.jpg?v=0

Goosebumps thinking about it...

16. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    I ran out the Elvis idea awhile ago but it seems that Yellow has taken taken off where this is concerned. Personally I think Only Fools and Elvis have an enduring quality that Cold Play and Yellow don't but whatever.

17. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. We have sung Fools Rush In before successfully before this year (but as a chant and not as some strung out anthem, and I don't think we should change it to the latter). I think we are going to look like a bunch of p*ssy's singing yellow and no one has ever attempted it. Why? Because it will make us all look like p*ssies, just give that up. I don't think either are an anthem and I think this anthem talk is mildly stupid. When we have an anthem we will all know it. When something is good like "We Follow," which I consider our anthem in a way because we made it our own, it sticks on it's own without much work.

And, I'm over the Yellow idea. I think it's just a shitty song that won't work.

I figure just let it flow naturally any anthem. Some people are trying to push this too hard with like four of these threads. Something will come up that will stick.

Just let it naturally happen.

18. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's good enough. Not everyone knows it, not everyone identifies with it, most people think Coldplay is a shit band, and the lyrics are not strong enough.

I thought it might of been okay at one time. But, there is a reason why this idea was known for half of 2008 and never took off.

Has anyone even tried to sing it? Just won't work.

19. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go listen to Simple Plan or some other douche bag band. I guess that Watford uses this at their games, which makes sense since they are yellow as well. I dont see how singing a Coldplay song is more "**********" than singing a song called "I cant help falling in love with you" by Elvis.:confused: Both are good songs, but neither are the most badass hard-man songs.

How are the lyrics not strong enough? They are equally as strong as the Elvis song. The title of the song is Yellow, how could people not identify with this?

It didnt take off in full because this is a f*cking internet message board and not everything that is proposed on here ever even gets to the fanbase as a whole. We got lucky on the whole "We Love You" song, but it takes more than internet jive to get things moving usually. Thats why it would be important to try to get the FO to play this song (or anything other than stupid ass Gary Glitter) on the PA.

O and also, if you think Coldplay is a shit band, you should quit listening to the 40 year old virgin and listen to the rest of popular music today. Coldplay may not be the Beatles, but they kick ass compared to most other music acts that are accepted in this Country like the Jonas Brothers and Fall Out Boy

20. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fall Out Boy is sooooooo rock and roll how can you make fun of them like omg! :rolleyes:

I like Yellow, I don't like Elvis.

Also I agree that half the people that don't like cold play only don't because of that mediocre movie. Yellow or Road Outside Columbus are the only ones I consider worthy anthems.

Also if your disagree your opinions are wrong wrong wrong!!! :mad::cool:

21. WarriorDome

WarriorDome Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 27, 2008
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos to the one who had money on Elvis and Coldplay being used in the same sentence on the Crew Supporters Board. :)

22. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looking VERY objectively at the Yellow song, I'm 50/50 on the whole thing. Being pro, some slower songs (see You'll Never Walk Alone) can be tweeked a bit to sound awesome especially when the tempo is a bit faster than the original. So in some respects Yellow can work. I haven't studied the lyrics to see if there can be a cross-over connection with the team/sport and passion, winning and whatnot, but I presume there is that
    connection:confused:

Seeing through the con side, would I bump Coldplay on my drives to Columbus, or while I workout? Probably not, being melodic pop and a bit emo:rolleyes:. Their music is great for meditation, reflecting on things.

23. bigal614

bigal614 Member

Oct 19, 2008
    columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    know how i know your gay you like coldplay

24. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 40 Year old virgin thing doesnt help.

But, the reference that you can't be listening to it in ur car on ur drive is true- but also irrelevant. Can you listen to Blowing Bubbles or YNWA in ur car? No. They sound gay. But when you have a stadium sing it, it sounds great. If you say-"the stadium wont b singing though", think again.

We play the song on the speakers. We start singing, at first, nobody gets it. Then some people next to us get it. Then it moves across the stage. Within less than 10 games it will be sung around the stadium.

No song will ever have anything really about soccer or will be perfect. YNWA isnt perfect. Some people might not even know why West Ham sing Blowing Bubbles. It'll never be perfect and theres probably some who don't really like it.

Having an anthem would be a cool thing. I'll be honest, I don't like the Elvis song. But if they played the Elvis song on the speakers and everyone was singing, I'd fu**in sing. If it was a song I liked, I'd sing. If theres not anthem at all, I'd be ok with it. I just think it'd show our massiveness if we were the first team with a real anthem.

Not all the teams would really want anthem. But a song called "Yellow", talking about how the stars "shine for you and everything you do", and, speaking to the team, telling them "you know I love you so". Because you know that, for the Crew, "i'd bleed myself dry".

I'm pro-Yellow. I'm apathetic Elvis and anthemless.

We should have a vote. And in order to vote, you should have to think about both sides of the argument.

It should be- Yellow, Elvis, neither but we shuold get one, or we are too massive for an anthem. I don't wanna make it though.

25. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the only way we will seem badass is if we start singing some norwegian death metal.