We need a real rivalry.

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by Eguzki, Jul 10, 2008.

1. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll do my part. I'll load up on crumpets.

What are they again. :rolleyes:

Oh, and we heard Dallas fire out cannon the first year, when we let them borrow it for our games up there, it was very loud. When we get our own stadium where we can shoot it, we'll make sure we don't have to give it up again.

Part of the rivalry thing also has to do with the players, doesn't it, players that feel the rivalry too? I think Chivas/Galaxy players feel the rivalry there, the Dynamo/FCD players took a while to get into that rivalry but I think they're feeling it now. Maybe Rico had something to do with that. :D

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Teams crossing borders to play around the world. I'm including all leagues which include teams from different national federations. Yes, England, Wales, and Scotland are constituent parts of the United Kingdom but each has its own Association Football federation. The same deal with the US and Puerto Rico. Some of these have federations not recognized by FIFA but they do have national federations.

MLS: USA and Canada
    USL: USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, Bermuda
    A-League: Australia, New Zealand
    Football Championship: England, Wales
    Scottish Football League: Scotland, England
    Ireland Premier Division: Ireland, Northern Ireland
    Swiss Football League: Switzerland, Liechtenstein
    Territorial Primera de Catalunya: Spain, Andorra
    Ligue 1: France, Monaco
    Serie C2: Italy, San Marino
    Malaysia Super League: Malaysia, Brunei
    Hong Kong First Division: Hong Kong, China

3. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, excellent research.
    Most of those pairs include a country, like Andorra or Liechtenstein, or Wales, that could not support a league by themselves. New Zealand and Brunei fit into that category too, I suppose. Canada could support their own league, if there were enough good Canadian soccer players.

Speaking of Andorra and Monaco, have you seen the videos at adidads.com/soccer? They're the ones they show clips from on their ads on soccer games. Go there, watch them, I think they're really cool.

4. 3VIL L33T

3VIL L33T New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Proximity has nothing to do with it.
    While I do agree that fans have to care.

The fastest best way to form a rivalry is by getting knocked out of the post season and having our Championship Season crushed.
    Astros v Cardinals
    Lakers v Celtics
    Cowboys v Eagles
    Yankees v Red Sox
    Barca v Madrid
    Oilers v Steelers
    Chivas v America

Nothing is going to sting more than not making it to the championship game, and the team that does that will have a special place in our hearts for a very long time. If that team happens to be dallas, believe me everyone is going to be out for blood during the following Tejano Classico "derby".

5. cte515

cte515 New Member

May 14, 2008
    Houston
    I strongly dislike the candy strippers from South Oklahoma. I don't like their style of play, I don't like their players(but I do respect Cooper, that dude is a beast and scares me when he gets the ball and his heading to goal), and I don't like their "sportsmanship". This is a rivalry for me and it will only get better as time goes on and the teams play more.

6. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dodgers and the Astros had a great rivalry in the 80's, when we were in the same division. I forget exactly why, but we hated them and I think they did us too, we had some excellent games back then. Then came the year we lost the last several games of the season to them, ended the season in a tie and had to play a single play off game with them in LA that we won and went to the play offs over them. That would sting for them.

The same thing was true for NY Mets, especially after they knocked us out of the playoffs in the 15 inning game in the Dome (that I went to, the best baseball game I've ever seen). But Philadelphia knocked us out too and I don't think we ever had that much of a rivalry with them.

And with the Rangers, our closest rivals, nobody much cares. Until we play them in the World Series. If I live that long.

7. Orange1836

Orange1836 don't believe the hype

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    When my mom was 8 and a half months pregnant with me, she and my grandma went to a game against the dodgers. My mother was yelling at Tommy Lasorda with such passionate rage that the people in their section thought she was in labor and started taking action. I still to this day blindly root against both the dodgers and mets.

The cardnalds were the closest thing to a rivalry in my time, but both teams were so classy and respectful, its hard to dislike them.

8. hereje

hereje New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    i hate when you guys do this:(, can't you just keep the discussion within futbol limits without having to compare sports.

anyway hey let's hate new england or dc they're very competitive and i mean NE hates us already:D.

9. BCLK

BCLK Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Guys...

it ain't a rivalry when you have more fans in their place than they do.

it ain't a rivalry until they can beat you some times.

it is like the question of did the tree fall in the woods...if no one was in their stadium to hear the cannon fire...did it? (I loved the picture of all the empty seats there)

the best part about them taking the cannon is they didn't even beat us to get it, Luck was on their side in that they played twice away.

Chivas comes in and they announce 11,000?!?!? I think they actually sold 6,000 tickets. bruuuutal.

10. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rivalries take time. It's hard to hate anyone when your franchise is two years old and you've won two championships. The one with Dallas is on the right track. Perhaps if we lose a playoff series on a questionable call from the refs. LA and Chivas USA have potential. Don't really see a rivalry with a Mexican club developing because we don't play any on a regular basis.

Saw this idea in the expansion forum, but what if Club America located a franchise in San Antonio or Austin(San Marcos?). That could develop into a nice rivalry. Away trips would be much nicer also.

11. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i hate the Charleston Battery and all their USL 2nd division posters on Big Soccer. the Austin Aztex and their kind aren't to far behind.

12. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but I still see as cases very different from ours.
    Monaco as I stated earlier is a city-state, the principality only has 32,000 inhabitants, impossible to have a league, and the fact they are culturally French, the same happens with San Marino, they are culturally Italians and they only have 29,000 inhabitants, Liechtentstein only has 35,000 inhabitants.

The territorial primera de Catalunya is one of the regional leagues in Spain, it is not even the top regional level in Catalunya, preferente territorial is above them, but that is not the point, the point is that the level of the top regional leagues in Spain is under the 3rd division, which makes it in my book almost amateur, sort of the semi-pro leagues here in the US, but even if we consider the regional leagues professional leagues, we have the same case with Andorra, only 71,000 inhabitants.

All those city-state or principalities can not sustain a league and play with the countries they fell culturally a part of.

Now, the case with Hong Kong, Hong Kong is not a sovereign state, they may be technically a special administrative region of China, but nevertheless a part of China, they are not different countries, and their league is, well, I will not go there, Chinese teams playing there are not playing in a different country.

The case of the UK is a different one, technically the only country with more than one federation recognized by FIFA, when FIFA decided that no country could have more than one federation recognized it was to avoid conflicts of where teams are supposed to play, hence the one country one federation rule, for obvious reasons, UK was the exception, so even tough geographically you are suppose to be playing in a specific league of an specific federation, teams that play for another league are not playing in a different country.

Ireland and Northern Ireland, they are indeed different countries (wel, Northern Ireland is not a country, is a constituent country of the UK, but is part of a different country), but the whole Irish political case makes this a very different case indeed.

Brunei, well, they only have 380,000 inhabitants, ,ore than 10 times the population of Monaco, Andorra, San Marino, etc, etc, etc, but not yet enough to have a league, heck, by US standards they don´t have enough people to be a big ciy.

New Zealand is the tricky one for my rant with Canada, at 4 million inhabitants they are a lot bigger than all the other examples of micro nations, micro nation they are not, the question is, is 4 million still too little to have your own league, in my book it is, heck, we have more people in the Houston Metro area.

My point is that Canada has 33 million people, with that population they are indeed not a small country, not a big one population wise, but not a small one, they could have easily their own big league.

The problem with Canada is that they don´t get that countries with not that many inhabitants don´t get to have the best leagues in the world, they look to the south and see MLB and the NFL and the NBA and they want to be part of it, they could never have leagues like that with 33 million, so they ask to be part of the leagues, and I suppose that with leagues that have so many teams you can be a nice neighbor, but with soccer is different, we only have 14 teams in this huge country, only 14, and we can´t find 14 cities inside the US, Toronto and 2 teams in LA?, only 12 cities so far?, I´m not saying Canadians shouldn´t have the MLS experience, that is why we are gonna hava a team in Seattle :D

13. webfoot

webfoot Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Corpse in Houston, spirit in Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers

How about instead of waiting around for our "fandom" to be tested by bad times, you guys get your shit together? Looking back on your history, you guys have had what, 2 seasons that you didn't make the playoffs? 3?
    Your faith and level of support has really been tested. Not.

I don't know which is more tiresome, the whole "we stole from San Jose" bullshit, or the bandwagon crap that braindeads like you spew.

The inferior is a joke. You guys don't travel worth a crap. You post on BS instead of attending the games. YOU CAME NOWHERE NEAR SELLING OUT A 22,000 SEAT STADIUM FOR A SATURDAY NIGHT PLAYOFF GAME AGAINST THE DEFENDING CHAMPION AND YOUR IN STATE RIVAL. Yet you come in here and talk about us abandoning the bandwagon!! Hell, at least we got on the chinga tu madre!!

Jealous much?

I'll make a deal with you. Give the Dynamo the same level of playoff appearances, 10 out of 13 years, THEN, we can compare attendance levels and the bandwagon factor.

14. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, but I like the Battery and the Aztex, and their fans too, it's just the guys that post here that are annoying. The people at the Frisco are ok too, but I do hate their team and their bs BS posters.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mi amigo Basque, in us pro sports a good rivalry does indeed begin and end with playoffs and getting knocked out by another city's teams. Houston has knocked FC Dallas outta the USOC and the MLS Cup in consecuative years. We won the MLS Cup on Dallas home soil. 'Nuff said! The Texas Derby is #1 in importance. I do wish the DFW soccer folks would get off their collective ass and show for the Burn. If someone won a title at Robertson I would just be erked by them on principal.

It is really a good laugh to see this picture this morning. FCD die hards showing a picutre of a cannon while the Charleston Battery crest, made of cannons, is also in the picture. The Battery would go on to smoke Dallas at their home ground. Recall sports fans that the USOC is the one tropy FCD has laid their hands on. It is very important to them. So getting ass raped at home with the first team out on display when the team was in the Cup Final vs the Revs just last season, where Dallas lost to the Revs in the USOC Cup Final after singing with them at MLS Cup '06, is a pretty good reason not to post a picture of El Capitan on Houston boards. Perhaps its not best that you Dallas guys and gals fire that bad boy. When you do you tend to lose something in the process.

Hereje, the other sports you speak of do mean a great deal to those soccer die hards that view MLS as a continuation (and acutal improvement considering how pro sports is tragicly done these days) of supporting the local teams at all costs.

16. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't take the bait guys, keep the discussion on what a rivalry is instead of smacktalking with a Dallas fan.

17. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    C'mon mom...it's fun!!!

:D

18. BigAdaMutt

BigAdaMutt New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Its funny you should mention that as I was thinking the same thing at that game. I am sure the Batts appreciated it. It seemed to get them, ahem, fired up.

19. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not defending Dallas fans here, but their "honors" include a USOC, a supporters shield runners up, and not winning in the playoffs in almost 10 years.

I find the whole bandwagon argument stupid and untrue. I guess we're not supposed to support the team because they're winning.

20. BigAdaMutt

BigAdaMutt New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    You're a bit paranoid, I think. I haven't been "smack talking" at all but talking about what makes a rivalry as a member of the "other" side of that rivalry. The picture was gentle ribbing at best. How could it be more if everyone there proclaims not to care about it anyway?

To other points, I stick with with the belief our rivalry is mostly manufactured. Until we have a history of significant events it will remain so. I agree more of our own "fans" should get their rears to the HOME games instead of typing a play by play on here. If you challenge them with it, they give you every excuse in the book. In fact, I get mad at them when they complain about how the team performed when they weren't even there. Come out and YELL YOUR CONCERN TO THE TEAM. Let THEM hear it. THEY aren't on these boards.

Hope my agreeable nature isn't "baiting" anyone. <--------- Oops.

21. AeroSquire1836

Feb 13, 2007
    HOUSTON
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im going to disagree with you here. TO me the rivalry between us isn't abotu sports, it is about houston and dallas. I've hated dallas since before we had a soccer team. Sports is the most convienient outlet for that particular dislike but it goes far beyond that. Until dallas wins something it won't be about the game. If we have any real game-based rivalry it would be with the Revs.

22. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You need a rivalry, I need a cold BEEEER!

23. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what really makes a rivalry? Thundersticks!

Drop the hot dogs and programs, people. If you have a lung disorder and can't blow them up ask a friend to help. Let's make some noise!!11!1!

24. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the opposite... I grew up in Ft. Worth and like everything about the metroplex except for the storms, they're scary :eek:, and their soccer team. I love the Cowboys, I sold beer for the Texas Rangers ("Ice cold beer, cold Coors, Schlitz and Lone Star"... it was a long time ago :rolleyes:), I love the dry heat in the summers and the ice and snow in the winters, and not having to worry about my palm trees freezing. BUT I hate FCD, I hate the way they play, I hate some of the guys in the Inferno (not all, but most) and I hate some of their fans that post here (though not all of them either). To me it's the Texas Derby and actually means something. I've never missed a game in Frisco and hope I never have to.

25. TrebleDevil99

TrebleDevil99 New Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Some very informed comments on this thread. I'm impressed.

Berwick Rangers, from the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed which sits two miles south of the Scottish-English border, are situated closer to Edinburgh than Newcastle and therefore historically played at amateur level in the Scottish Border leagues rather than the North East of England leagues. They were subsequently admitted to the lower leagues of the Scottish professional system.

The bigger Welsh sides (Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham) joined the English leagues at a time when there was no professional league in Wales. I don't think the current Welsh league would contain many full-time professionals.

Derry City, a staunchly Catholic team from Northern Ireland, were forced to withdraw from the Northern Irish league at the height of the sectarian troubles due to concerns around security at matches. They later joined the League of Ireland (Republic).

A point on whether 4 million people is enough to have your own league. The population of Scotland is 4.9 million and there are 40 professional clubs in the league with others further down the chain aspiring to join (as Annan Athletic have this summer following the demise of Gretna).

Croatia is another example - population of 4.4 million, but a full league structure and a pretty good national team.