We need a new striker!!!!

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by krazbo, Sep 23, 2003.

1. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    There is always money for good player. And people forget on debts when you showing them a star. I know for me, if Laporta bring Tevez or Henry, then I dont give a *#*#*#*# about debts.

And look Real Madrid, they bring a new star every year and their stupid fans forget that club has more than 300 million € bad debt (just last year 99 million €)????!!!!

2. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Ronaldo+10

Ronaldo+10 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Re

I just hope no one here posts Landon Donovan or Clint Mathis as an option.

4. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re

As long as the crack fiends from the Metros/Quakes Boards and Yanks Abroad don't post, we should be fine :)

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I used to be one of them...but I never even went that far...

Jeez, the only American worth investing in would be Freddy Adu

6. bettendor

bettendor New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Iowa
    And from the sounds of things, Freddy's only interested in going to Manchester United, but probably after a short stint in MLS, if what I heard on FSW Report was correct.

7. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't read too much into FSW reports, only if they actually sit him down and ask him personally, I'd love to see an American in Barcelona, especially Adu but...oh well

8. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    American in Barca ?! You should rather read that, this would be something. FR would like Owen in his team:

Barca join Owen hunt
    Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard has admitted an interest in Michael Owen, which has heightened rumours in Spain that the England vice-captain will be moving to La Liga.
    The Reds star is yet to agree a new long-term deal at Anfield, which seems to have given the Spanish some hope that he may be persuaded to move to La Liga like international team-mate David Beckham.

However, Barca now look to have thrown their hat into the ring - should Owen become available.

"He fits in our philosophy," Rijkaard told Radio Interconomia when asked whether he would like Owen.

Barca missed are determined to put the last few seasons of disappointment behind them and their fans will be happy to know that they still intend to make moves for the world's best talent.

Owen is currently contracted to The Reds until 2005, but the lack of Champions League football in recent seasons has placed a question mark over his long-term future.

Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier has insisted that he is confident of securing Owen on a longer deal, but much will depend on how the Merseyside club perform this season.

______
    If they bring him in Barcelona, I will build the temple to Laporta and FR!!!!

9. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, I'd like Owen to cut my grass every morning, but would Owen
    1.) Really leave England ?
    2.) Actually choose Barca ?
    3.) Who would lose a spot in the Starting XI?

10. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    i'll answer #3:

Up top pairing Saviola with Ronnie and Roman as AM's behind them! :D

or we could forget about him and get Saviola and Tevez together! :D

11. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Ok lets be more realistic:

Barcelona seek pre-contract with Celtic ace Larsson
    tribalfootball.com - November 9, 2003

Barcelona are chasing Celtic striker Henrik Larsson.
    The Swede, 32, is determined to leave Parkhead at the end of the season and is being lined up a for a sensational move to the Nou Camp.

The Sunday Mail says Barca will try and seal a pre-contract agreement with Larsson through the player's Dutch agent, Rob Jansen.

It is expected an offer of a two-year contract worth around £2 million per year, similar to his current wage packet, will be put on the table by the Spanish club.

12. Ronaldo+10

Ronaldo+10 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Los Angeles

This would be a great signing for Barcelona, the only downside is that Larsson is a little old, 32. But hey , he'd still have 2 good years ahead of him.

13. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    I disagree, Larsson can stay home.

14. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Owen or Henry next year in Baca

It seems that summer transfer market will be very acitve in Europe and in Barcelona as well. Laporta is determinated to bring one world class striker to Barca. Owen or Henry. He is prepairing 30 million pounds (45 million $) for Owen or Henry.
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=171850&cpid=23
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/november/englishnews6101103.html
    Liverpool might sell Owen for such big amount of money. They will need cash becouse they are going to build a new stadium as well as Arsenal ( but Henry would cost even more).
    For quite some time there are a lot news refering to Liverpool about strikers. They will buy Cisse (that si 90%), they are interesting for Fabio Bazzani http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=171870&cpid=8 , Defoe http://www.tribalfootball.com/november/englnews7101103.html Rivaldo and others. These players are very expensive. Where will they get money now when they have no results and are going to build a new staduim. The only answer is by selling OWEN. And Laporta wants him as well as FR. So Owen might be a Barca player next year.

15. bettendor

bettendor New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Iowa
    Re: Owen or Henry next year in Baca

But considering the financial mess Barca is in right now, are they able to go out and spend big on a new striker. Any one of those guys would be a great addition, but can Barcelona afford it? Plus, if they do go forward with something like that, where would the money come from?

16. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    bank loans

17. bettendor

bettendor New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Iowa
    Perhaps, but even a team like Barca can only finance so much that way.

18. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    I must say I quite dont understand new Laporta politics. He said that his priority will be to cut the loss, but it seems that he plays like Florentino Perez in Real do. Bring a new star and people will forget how broke you actualy are!!!

I dont know what the board have done so far but they need to have some guarantees from banks and local economy for such investment. But from other prospective, Barca had had debts even before this season but they spend 50 million € for players transfers. It seems that there must be some money for it, I dont know where they could get it otherway. Banks dont just loan money, they want it back with interests.

19. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    I amnot sure.

The Ronaldinho purchase was not financed by Banks but by PSG themselves. And this opurcahse is hardly hurting the club financially.

I like the Laporta approach, except for the shirt sponsor.

20. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Laporta has the unenviable task of trying to win back fans. He's smart enough to know that the "we need to save money and frugally rebuild" approach will not fly like it (barely) does in the NHL or NBA. At this point he needs to gamble and buy stars in hopes that he'll pay for his investments, and then some, by selling more tickets and shirts. As long as the team is winning and getting into the Champions League, the stands and the botiga will be filled with paying customers.

We tried the other route and ended up spending twice as much as Real on a bunch of useless stiffs (including the president) that no longer are with the club.

21. Azabache

Azabache Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Essex Co.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't know much about Barça politics, but can the club afford Thierry Henry at the moment? Or is this some sort of payback for having lost Cesc Fabregas to the Gunners?

22. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Total confusion, Owen to Barca, Reyes to Liverpool?!

Try to understand this:
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N142655031112-1419.htm

Reyes would "understand" if Seville sold him to Liverpool
    tribalfootball.com - November 13, 2003

Seville striker Jose Antonio Reyes would understand if he was sold to Liverpool at the end of the season.
    A source close to the player told AS that Reyes admitted that "a good offer has arrived for me and I would understand if Seville chose to sell".

Liverpool had scouts in attendance to see Reyes tear Real Madrid apart in Sunday's 4-1 shock win.

Its believed Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier is planning to sell Michael Owen for £30 million and will use part of that fee to tempt Seville into cashing in on the youngster.

Reyes' agent, Jesus Rodriguez de Moya said: "Reyes is a player followed by many of the great teams of Europe - though it would be wrong of me to name them.

"Who wouldn't want to sign Jose Antonio?"

It seems that Liverpool will sell Owen whether he likes it or not (42 million € is a lot of money). But please tell me this. Do we realy need Owen, we have Saviola (Owen need a partner in attack to score goals, he cant play alone as well as Saviola cant). Why dont Barca offer Sevillia 30 million € for Reyes, if you ask me it would be better signing then Owen (perhaps Sevillia dont want to sell player in the same devision, but why then sell player to England and lost one of the best young players in Spain??????!!!!!!)
    Barcelona with Reyes and Ronnie, that is my dream.

23. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Reyes is a withdrawn striker, we already have 'Dinho, what we really need is a midfielder with character, somebody like LE21 (when he plays real madrid! :D) centrally orientated Xavi should be that figure (and Im surprised and glad to see Marquez wouldnt mind to play there) now to complete my dream Roman should be there (sigh)

of course, im still waiting my bday present and want Tevez! :D

24. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    This has been a fun thread to read I always enjoy transfer speculation, one of the best bits of the game outside of actually playing it, but if Houllier sells a seasoned veteran like Owen and brings yet another "youngster with promise for the future" (who could fail to achieve that promise like half of them seem to do,) especially one who had never played in the league before, I would be furious.

As for Helder Postiga, he looks very talented, but physcially weak and lacking a bit of confidence, he definately is a "youngster with promise for the future," he might not be playing much now, but Tottenham hope he will one day.

25. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI

I watched game in Valencia yesterday (btw Spain won 2-1 against Norway, but Spain had 30 shots on target, so they were not lucky at all).
    However, Reyes played quite well and he didnt play central attacking mid., but left-sided. So, Mario, Barca could play Ronnie and Reyes at the same time, one on the left and other in central position.
    All we have to do after that is to bring Juaquin from Bets and than is irrelevant who play as a striker :D

btw, you will never guess where Puyol played!!!

left sided defender?!?!?!?!