We hold destiny in our hands!

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by lufty, Sep 7, 2002.

1. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    With Chi-Town losing tonight.... We control our own destiny.

Chicago plays two games vs. Columbus meaning that columbus could end up with only as many as 41 pts. and chicago would thus end up with 34 points.

If chicago wins both of their final games v. columbus the final standings would give chicago 40 pts. and columbus 35 points.

in both of these scenarios we would only have to win one more game, that vs. the metrostars or that v. the burn.

We would have to win both games if columbus ties chicago once and loses once.

Lets just make it easy on us by winning both of our games, thus going 5-0-1 down the stretch and making us a dangerous team for anyone to face in the playoffs....

It is still slightly possible for us to win the #2 seed. More over, it is possible for us to go into the final game against the metros with the winner getting the #2 seed and the loser obtaining the number 9 seed. yuck!!!!! I don't even want to think of that happening........

2. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    dramatic. Does anyone think it is possible for us to win 2 more? I DO!!!!!
    I think we can easily catch the MUTTS!!! please United help us!

This is quite a season for everyone except United!

3. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Aha! I just bought tickets to the Mutts game.

I hope it goes down to that. The place will actually be rocking.

4. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    They better open the whole lower bowl because it will be full!!!!
    I got my tickets last night!

5. CTREVS

CTREVS Member

New England Revolution
    Apr 18, 2002
    Hamden
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas is a tough team, but they are in abit of a tailspin right now. We have to be able to take at least one from the Mutts, they are not good enough to sweep us!!

6. goyette82

goyette82 Member

Jan 16, 2000
    Lowell, Ma
    So if we win are final two matches, we are in no matter what?

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Yes the Revs would. 2 wins give them 38 points, Columbus and Chicago cannot both reach 38.

8. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I'm not a mathematician, nor do I even play one on TV, but I have to admit that it does appear that all this number crunching does lead to the inevitable conclusion that IF the Revs can beat the "three-win-in-a-row curse" and get these last two wins that yes indeed they are in the playoffs.

I will use the mystical powers of this my 300th post to make a very easy prediction....it won't happen!

And I believe we all know what will...a convincing win in Dallas to keep hope alive followed by an excruciatingly close and well played loss to the Mutts on the dying minutes of the season.

C'mon admit it, you are a true Revs fans and you will just love this torture. In fact you will hate to see the pain end with the ref's final whistle.

9. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    playoff hopes

lets go over the possibilities shall we?
    current points are
    clb - 35
    chi - 34
    ne - 32

if there is a sweep by clb, then we are in with a win.
    if chi sweeps, and we win only one game, then we are in by tiebreaker with clb (35 pts) (i think)
    if there is a split, then we must win both games to have a chance.
    if there are two ties, then we can be #2 in the conference with 2 wins.
    if clb wins and ties, then we must do the same to get in.
    if chi wins and ties, then we must do the same to get in.

if im wrong with any of this let me know. - cheers

personally i want clb to kick their ass with McB gettin hat tricks. i like clb jus because of McB

10. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    i think you're forgetting about kc...

this was posted in the mls:n&a forum...

kc, columbus, metro have 35
    chicago have 34
    revs have 32

these 5 are competing for 4 spots...(dc is out)....

it may come down to the revs record head to head vs. any one of the 4 teams they are competing with......you may even take kc's spot if they lose 2 in a row....

but if the fire lose 2, you only have to win 1 to get in....if the fire tie 1 and win 1, etc....

you know the drill....

11. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    what's your record vs. kc?

columbus?

chicago?

12. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    KC 0-2
    CLB 2-1-1
    CHI 1-2-1

Also, I don't see KC losing twice, Colorado I feel is a better team than KC, but too up and down to pull off a sweep.

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst case

The worst case would be if Chicago and Columbus each beat the other once, meaning we would be 5 pts back and need 2 wins to make it.

I'm rooting for a Fire/Crew tie this week, which means a win and a tie gets us in. I don't see one team winning both those Fire/Crew games, although that would be the best case.

Go Revs!

14. goyette82

goyette82 Member

Jan 16, 2000
    Lowell, Ma
    It doesn't matter. We need to win both games. Lets decide our own fate and not let other teams do it for us for once.