We haven't noticed how good this Cup is - Viva Brasil!

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Brasitusa, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    It's amazing how people are focusing on the negative aspects. We've been fed catastrophic news from the media; preparation delays, riots, violence... Then, refereeing mistakes, bias for the hosts, scandal, corruption... The pitch in Manaus is not good, it's too hot and humid... etc., etc.

Wrong. We should all realize that we are facing a historical event. This is a World Cup for the ages. I was watching ESPN The World Cup Tonight and someone, after images of the Amazon, said "there's never been such an exotic locale for a World Cup game."

True.

Folks, let's look at the positives.

Brazil is a fascinating country. It's full of contrast. It has enormous problems but also has enormous creativity, dynamism, and passion. Besides, the stadiums are gorgeous, the airports are holding (actually performing better than international averages), the Fan Fests are fun, riots and protests have been kept to a minimum, and things are going just fine.

Yep, a couple of pitches are bad. It has happened in other Cups too. Most are perfect and are beautiful green carpets.

Then, let's look at the football.

Oh boy, this was a roller-coaster and it's only day 2!!!

Controversial call in the opener! (Well, I particularly think it was human error rather than corruption or conspiracy) - but anyway, all very exciting. Croatia got the short end of the stick but I hope they recover. Still, we saw Neymar, the unphased 22-year-old guy, coming through for his team. We saw the players continuing to sing the full version of the National Anthem after FIFA finished the short version.

We saw the Mexican coach giving to Klinsmann a lesson on how to be inspirational and how to believe. The Mexicans are my rivals but now I'm half-rooting for them. What a genuine and passionate guy!

We saw Holland produce one of the most amazing performances of recent memory, with a goal (their first) that will be forever in the history of the tournaments as one of the most beautiful ever. I mean, this is top 5 of all time. Folks, we've seen it. We are witness to it. This is stuff we'll tell our grandchildren and will be written in football history books.

We saw the defending champions crumbling in spectacular fashion, never seen to this degree.

We saw Australia putting up a fight.

And it's only day two.

I'll tell you what:

IT'S BEEN WILDLY ENTERTAINING. It's been lively, hot, steamy, full of drama, and it will only get better and better. Lurking, there are C. Ronaldo, Messi and the old Brazil-Argentina rivalry, Luis Suarez, Balotelli, the Germans, and the talented underdogs such as Bosnia...

Even the United States might have a thing or two to say (can you all imagine how fun it will be if the USA gets a strong run?)

This is a historical World Cup.

Folks, stop complaining and enjoy the show. We're privileged to be seeing this, and it is likely to be one of the best ever, full of strong human emotions - revolt, rage, excitement, enthusiasm, exhilaration... It's messy just life is; it's imperfect just like football is; but it is full of passion, and is happening in one of the most ebullient nations on Earth.

Enjoy!

2. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    26 goals so far in 8 games... Almost three times more than in 2010 at the equivalent point. Gorgeous cup!

3. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    28 goals now that the 8th game is over, an average of 3.5 per game! Wow!

locoxriver repped this.
  4. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Just wait for Argentina-BiH tomorrow, could be a goalfest.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  5. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Could well be both defences are very suspect. Argentina better start Garay as CB and Perez in MF, else...

Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  6. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    As long as Bosnia scores more than Argentina, I'll be happy. Go Bosnia!

Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No way in hell Enzo starts..

8. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Don't know much about the Argentinian midfield but he has been class for a while now, if there is a better option, all good and well (we will see, I fear Argentina's defensive frailties). Does that mean Garay will start?

9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We don't know the line-up or even the tactical formation we will use yet, but Garay is a sure starter in the back.

Perez is great, but he was never part of the process til now. He is behind other players in Sabella's consideration to start, such as Gago and Maxi Rodriguez.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  10. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree. So far it has been the best wc in ages. I`ve seen every single match and enjoyed every one, which had not been the case since at least `98. Many surprises, great goals (Van Persie! 0.0 ) and barely 8 games into it!

locoxriver and Rickdog repped this.
  11. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    They should have just hired Shakira again for the opening ceremony, could have done without Yenniferrrr Lllllopezzzz y Beeeeetbullllll - as the Univision announcers call them - or just use all-Brazilian artists. Can't imagine Brazil lacks pop stars. Other than that, you're right, be in the moment and enjoy it, playing in or attending a World Cup in Brasil HAS to be the highlight of many players' and fans' soccer lives. I hope there are plenty of opportunities for the Brazilian people to watch the matches and surrounding events - in restaurants, bars, public big screens, etc., wish I could have been there. Maybe the Olympics.

12. frero

frero Member

May 11, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i was on the edge of my seat for most of the games

13. Sarah ava

Sarah ava Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Xelaju Mario Camposeco