We got that Arab Money - Transfer Talk 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by Vitez, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vitez

Vitez Member+

Jan 10, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    FK Zeljeznicar
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Manchester City 2011-2012 Transfer Talk

[​IMG]

Who are you guys expecting in the January transfer window?

I wrote a little piece for the Bitter and Blue Blog:

http://www.bitterandblue.com/2011/12/18/2644869/all-i-want-for-christmas-is

I think at the moment the most pressing need is another centre-back. Hummels from Dortmund comes to mind, maybe even Thiago Silva if the price is right.

2. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think much will depend on who we can shift as unlike Anzhi and PSG we're taking these new Financial Fair Play rules seriously. Tevez will definitely go but it might just be a £3m loan fee from AC Milan for now and not the £20m+ we want. Cruzeiro want Santa Cruz and are offering us one of Brazil's top U18 wonderkids as bait, sounds too good to be true almost. We'll get a buyer for Onuoha for sure, loads of clubs after him.

De Rossi would be the ultimate signing, cheap transfer fee for world class ability but Mancini isn't optimistic of luring him away from Rome, plus he wants huge wages.

Hazard would be a great signing as we don't have a winger with that sort of pace and skill who can change a game out of nowhere, but his price tag is huge and probably off-putting for us as we're trying to be prudent. Maybe Krasic, Cerci, Redmond (Birmingham, rated as good as Oxlade-Chamberlain), or El Ghanassy are more realistic options for a winger signing.

CB is a difficult position because the ideal signing, Thiago Silva, would be impossible to get in January. Milan still in Champions League and he's an icon there and may not want to leave. Hummels would be a great signing but again it's price tag. Jan Vertonghen might be more realistic, about £12m from Ajax.

Don't think we need a striker if we plan to bring Guidetti back next season although we only have 3 available compared to about 7 at United so a loan or bargain (Saviola?) signing could be possible.

A lot of our signings at the moment and in January may be off-the-radar as we're trying to close some deals for extremely talented teenagers for our U16, U18, and EDS teams such as Pozo about to sign from Real Madrid, the best striker in their youth system.

3. Sarajevsko Pivo

Sarajevsko Pivo Member+

Oct 14, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Let them buy few CBs or DMs as long as they stop buying new strikers. Matter fact, they should sell either Balo or Aguero to make space for a striker who does score even though he's benched every game unlike the two guys up front in the past couple of games. You know what I'm talking about Mancini.

4. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is rotation and Dzeko has been injured or would have started against Stoke for sure... can we not turn this board into a Dzeko militant area like the Dzeko thread on Bluemoon if possible, I know how well loved he is in his homeland but he's one of three top class strikers at City and will have lots of chances coming up as we only have three strikers and seven games in January.

5. Sarajevsko Pivo

Sarajevsko Pivo Member+

Oct 14, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I think City should invest more in Bosnian players. I mean, there are rumors that Arsenal are chasing the young winger Edin Visca. I bet his price tag is under milion pounds and he already made a good impression on the Arsenal scouts. He's just 21 and full of potential.

6. Vitez

Vitez Member+

Jan 10, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    FK Zeljeznicar
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    This is the transfer thread, I'll open a separate thread for team discussions. Please keep that kind of stuff out of it.

7. Sarajevsko Pivo

Sarajevsko Pivo Member+

Oct 14, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    The rotation is killing him. After his stunning Tottenham performance he never played a full match ever since. That's not really logical is it? He only got 5-20 minutes of play-time per game since then. That's no proper way to award a striker for for a performance like that. He's out of form now and lost most of his confedence due the fact he's a benchwarmer for Aguero and Balo. It's just ridiculous. I know he had a minor injury, but he said he was perfectly fine 2 days after the happening. I understand Mancini wanted to keep him out that game to give him more recovery time, but he only got 8min. BS

8. bhnogomet1

bhnogomet1 Red Card

Oct 6, 2011
    banned
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis

I agree, not Pjanic though. City could use someone like Subotic, Vidic, Krasic definitely.

9. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We sign based on ability, not nationality... the only nationality we might buy more or than any other is English for obvious reasons. If Bosnia create more top talents then maybe we'll go for them but our scouts' eyes are actually more on Croatian youngsters at the moment, Kovacic and Vrsaljko.

10. Vitez

Vitez Member+

Jan 10, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    FK Zeljeznicar
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

Big fan of El Ghanassy and I'm sure the price wouldn't be inflated as with Hazard or some other potential winger signings. I do agree we need width. Ideally I would love us to sign a dependable CB, a wing player, and maybe another central midfielder.

11. bhnogomet1

bhnogomet1 Red Card

Oct 6, 2011
    banned
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Actually buddy Vidic Subotic and Krasic are Serbian. But I'm telling you Bosnians are amazing if they get a chance to get trained in somewhere like MCFC

12. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We do need a centre-back probably, Lescott has been brilliant for the last year but treats the ball like a bomb when he has it at his feet and sometimes we need composure in our passing/possession style. But we have top class talent to rotate in and out in every position and defence shouldn't be any different... Kompany is almost never rested but if we had another top centre-back we could have any combination of he/Lescott/Kompany with Kolo, Savic, and Rekik (bit young at 16 but very mature for his age) as other options. Boyata is having a nightmare loan spell at Bolton but is being played RB instead of CB.

Vertongen or Hummels would be the best realistic options (I really don't think Silva is going to be leaving AC especially after his recent comments about wanting to be captain and end his career there), I'll cry if we sign Cahill as he is really not that good. I also liked Rami at Valencia but after seeing how poor he was against Chelsea in the CL recently I'm not sure about him in the English league.

13. Vitez

Vitez Member+

Jan 10, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    FK Zeljeznicar
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Haha Rami, Dzeko destroyed him in our match against France, no thanks. Hummels is my favorite option. Howedes (Schalke captain) is also a very nice option. He's captaining a top Bundesliga team at 23, and his skill-set is basically the same as Hummels'.

While we're talking Bundesliga, why not bring in Marco Reus as a right-winger? I figure we'd have to shell out 18 mil. euros but he's been a key piece to B. Monchengladbach's fantastic season so far.

14. Sarajevsko Pivo

Sarajevsko Pivo Member+

Oct 14, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Vertonghen is nothing special really.

15. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kieran Trippier has left City to join the club he has been excellent on loan at, Championship side Burnley. Undisclosed fee, rumoured to be around £1.3million. Hopefully a sell-on clause is included as I believe this lad could represent England at right-back some day, he is from the same town I live in and is really good, but it's so hard to break through at City now, you have to be special.

Fewer and fewer of the 07/08 FA Youth Cup winning side that destroyed Chelsea remain now, showing that sometimes having just 1 first class prospect in the youth system can be more productive than a bunch of middling to good prospects. Weiss, Boyata, Nimely, Mee, McGivern, and Ibrahim are still here but it'll be hard for any to break through and the last four probably have no chance, while Weiss and Boyata's (after his disappointing loan spell at Bolton but the club have always had high hopes for him) are shrinking.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2297541/FA-Youth-Cup-Manchester-City-crush-Chelsea.html

16. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another center back, as I am tired of watching Lescott go off to dream land and have at least one Fook all moment every game. Another winger as we are playing way way to narrow and it has cost us. Once we ship Tevez to where ever the hell he goes to piss off, a fourth striker. I don't think we need to spend a shite load of money on the striker but please please please find a replacement for Lescott.

17. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We've been linked with Albiol at Real but he has the same problems as Lescott IMO, I think we need a calm and assured defender who is classy with the ball at his feet just like Kaptain Kompany. Joles has been great for us and should still have a role in the rotation but he seems to think the football is a grenade that he needs to get rid of ASAP. :p

18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's De Rossi's contract situation, did he sign an extension or is he available for free atm? ... I mean, for a summer transfer..

19. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    We'll be glad to keep him.

20. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is he having a good season? I've heard mixed feedback to that question. I don't think we're even in for him, Mancini looked at him in summer but didn't bid for him.

21. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    He's been less consistent this year but he's single handedly won games for us and always seems to raise his game against top competition.

22. mmk786

mmk786 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Seems as if Vertonghen is a good flexible player. He can play well at 3 different spots but is not elite at any of those positions. Central D, LB and D-mid.

Whats going on with Cerci? He seems like a good solution to the lack of width and speed at city.

23. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No one knows but he's probably on our shortlist of wingers. I think we'd love to sign Hazard but our days of splashing out without second thought are over due to Platini's rules so seems like Mancini is pondering. We've also been linked with Nathan Redmond at Birmingham who is 17 and supposed to be as good as Oxlade-Chamberlain.

24. mmk786

mmk786 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Redmond is very highly rated at B'ham so I wouldnt be surprised if he actually ends up costing more than Cerci.
    For a central defender I would like City to buy someone like Ashley Williams (Swansea). Good experienced player, 27, shouldnt cost too much and wouldnt moan about if not starting every game.

25. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tug-of-war ongoing between the Milan clubs for Tevez. Inter are willing to pay cash, AC want him on loan first - player wants to go to AC, not surprising as Tevez always seems to make things as difficult as possible. Just looking forward to him being gone, he's destroyed any legacy he left at the club, the fans supported him through all his homesickness and alleged family problems but he went one step too far and now he is essentially on strike. Unless something is worked out like Tevez waiving bonus payments, I can see City launching a massive lawsuit against him when he leaves.