We got Ricardo Clark?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJfuture, Jan 14, 2005.

1. SJfuture

SJfuture New Member

May 25, 2001
    Livermore, CA
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this good or bad for the Quakes? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

3. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a YOUNG but good, midfield:

Davis Clark O'Rourke Mullan

4. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not even close to a replacement for Mulrooney.. but it looks as though its the best we can do

5. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Dombrowski!!!

6. Keep parents away

Keep parents away New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Greenville SC
    I think that it is a great trade for San Jose and Clarke. He will blossom in San Jose if Moreno and Ching put their chances away. I think he is one of the most under-rated players in the league. If he stays healthy, I predict a breakout year.

7. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    His breakout year was excellent and his sophomore year not so much.

That's just the kind of great prospect we get rid of.

8. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does that work - trading part of an allocation?

9. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I doubt anyone knows!

From the financial side, it's simple. Allocations have dollar values. From an order of player selection persepective, mass chaos.

10. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to remember Yallop wasnted to get Clark as well in some potential deal with the Metros....

11. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass

Agree. Just sad to see the best overall Quake traded. :mad:

12. EdgarDavids20

EdgarDavids20 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His sophmore year wasn't terrible. The main reason why he didn't play up to par his sophmore year was because of his groin injury. Once he began to heal fully from the injury, he started to return to form. Though he isn't as good as Mulronney, he has to be the potential to be a lot better player down the line. Very good acquistion for you guys in my mind.

13. wfisher

wfisher Member

Jun 1, 2000
    I hope the Quakes give up the allocation, but retain his return rights

14. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

His breakout year was excellent and his sophomore year not so much.

That's just the kind of great prospect we get rid of.

15. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If I remember correctly, Clark was the price that we asked for Joe Cannon's rights.

16. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    I believe this is the first season which MLS has allowed the "splitting" of allocations. It is discussed some in some other forums, but the groundbreaking for this activity was the signing of John Thorrington for the Fire with part of an allocation. GMs have been pushing for it for years (and with good reason). But this is the first time I know of that literally part of an allocation was traded away.

Onto the trade. I don't know how anyone can argue that it isn't a great one. Lets be honest: Allocations are going to be devalued in SJ because of their uncertain future. It will be hard to lure a player to the current SJ situation, so trading one for Clark makes tons of sense.

I actually like what they have tried to do with the team up till now. Losing Alvarez was rough. But SJ has had him for a while. Perhaps they know something we don't.

Right now SJ lines up (assuming DeRo is gone):

-----------------Onstad-------------------------
    Barrett-----Dayak-------Robinson-----Hart/Roner
    Davis-------Clark-------O'Rourke-----------Mullan
    ---------Ching--------------Moreno--------------

With a bench consisting of the likes of Russell, Aloisi, Waibel, Cochrane, Levesque, and Conway.
    Seems a little light in attack, perhaps DeRo actually does have a chance to come back. Also quite heavy with outside defenders. The drafting of Klass looked more a luxury pick than a need one.

But all in all, for a team in a rebuilding mold I think there are significantly worse lineups you could see. I really like the idea of O'Rourke holding the midfield with Rico being given the opportunity to assume more of a #10 role than he was allowed in NY where he was restrained by more of a DM position. Davis also seems to be a player that could used a change of scenery. The midfield will make or break the team IMO. If they gel SJ will be formidable. I really liked the Moreno addition, he could be a very good partner for Ching.

I understand SJ has had a rough offseason with the loss of a bunch of their quality veteran talent. But I think Lalas got it right. The team without Donovan wasn't going to be competing for the title this season. So start the rebuilding process a little early by dumping Agoos. The loss of Mulrooney was unforseen, but I think they got decent value in return considering the circumstances.

17. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you think Russell and Waibel will be sitting on the bench?

18. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Pesonally, I don't think it, I hope it.

19. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well put.

20. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    The problem is, none of them are any good. They either suck, or don't have enough/any experience. Some of them, both.

Barrett
    Waibel
    Hart
    Roner
    Aloisi
    Cochrane
    Goldthwaite
    Klaas
    Twellman

21. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you mean.. my guess would be that Dom would try to keep some "vets" in the starting 11

22. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm sure of it, but don't expect it to last. The new guys will be worked in pretty quick.

23. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    I just don't feel that the Quakes are done with their changes yet. As someone pointed out, the Quakes still have 4 SI spots they have yet to fill. I would think that some of these areas that currently would be filled by a rookie or relative newbie (like Aloisi) will be addressed on the international market. The only rookie I expect to see playing substantial minutes is DanO.

As for the inclusion of Barrett among the list of defenders that either "suck" or aren't any good, I strongly disagree. If Wade returns and plays like he was before he left us, he will be among the best defenders in MLS, IMO. Perhaps, his time overseas might even have added to his abilities?! I think Wade is a solid guy and I eagerly await the day I turn on my computer to read that he is once again a Quake.

24. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you. Wade had his up and down games, but he also had games where he was the best player on the pitch. Getting him back will solve some big problems.