We don't need no edukashun!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Magpie Maniac, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toyota to build 100,000 vehicles per year in Ontario, Canada

Jesus Christ, this is embarrassing. What's it going to take to make people understand that investment in quality public education (and health care) is an investment in our economic future?

Instead, we've become a nation of self-righteous cynics.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about we ask the people of those respective states why they don't value education? I assure you that you would not have the same problems in the NE or rustbelt.

3. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my point. I live in a southern state for God's sake. But it's not just a southern US issue. As the article points out, health care is also a major factor all over the US. Rising medical costs has been GM's problem lately.

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. I don't believe this is a national issue. If your state's education system sucks, do something about it. Run for a school board or something.

5. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you on the education issue. Some southerners tend to undervalue eduction. As long as kids can learn their Bible and do a little 'rithmetic, they're set to go for a career in a blue smock. Where I'm from, school boards do not have the ability to tax, so sitting on the school board is like a beauty pageant winner having an effect on the Aids crisis. It might be her platform, but don't expect much progress.

But the health care issue also affects NE and other areas.