We don't need another gyro: Freddy Adu's Greek Tragedy

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Reignking, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think dark knight messed up.

We have a different thread for Freddy news and analysis.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1506036&highlight=Freddy

This is in fact the designated place for flippant, snarky one-liners.

2. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    i'm thinking to really serve the community, we need at least 5 specialized adu threads by my count.

news
    comments on that news
    his tweets and their analysis
    his food intake and its analysis
    snark

3. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a 6th thread called "Match Performance". But that thread would remain in hibernation for the time being.

Did I post this comment in the correct thread?

4. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is in lieu of his gameday threads.

5. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it... let me run it by my boy, Essien, first...

6. HatTrickHero411

Jan 20, 2008
    Screwston, TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how many more "my boy essien" comments do we need before it gets beat to death?

10 more pages?

if there was something that funny maybe i could understand having a separate thread for a yank abroad. well, no i couldn't. someone could be coming to this site for the first time and not understand that a separate thread had to be created for news only. i find it's pretty ridiculous to create a thread for a general sound board. it shouldn't be this way. there should be one thread, not two because some people think what have to say is so important.

the same repeats come on here because they are bored and think they have something so wonderfully funny to share with the rest of the internet need to chill for a bit. go create a thread on USA men for that crap.

7. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically, you're saying that this site should be run the way you think it should and no one else should use it in any other way than how you approve? If you want a site for news updates only you don't need to come here. You can go to any of the established sports/soccer sites/magazines online. This is an online COMMUNITY. It's a forum. People come here to discuss things. People make jokes. Even if they aren't funny, which is subjective by the way (that means not determined by you alone), that is part of the experience. Also, the reason the "my boy" thing came back is probably because Freddy made another tweet using that phrase.

The funny thing is, this kind of stuff goes on in nearly every other YA thread, but no one seems to care. Come on, who is really getting hurt by this? If you don't like it you can always unsubscribe and follow the news only thread.

Also, this is an internet forum, everyone on here, yourself included, thinks what they have to say is important. Otherwise, they wouldn't even say it.

tl;dr

Lighten up, Francis.

8. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets be honest, Freddy's interest for most of the US soccer community was as the next big thing. If he returns from Europe wihout having made it, the interest left will be mostly as a 2 Corey's type freakshow of failed child star.

An MLS team will take a flyer on him for his talent, though I think Freddy will be hurt by what I think will be seen as a lack of seriousness and dedication as a professional. I could see LA doing it, as I think the sideshow aspect of it would actually appeal to them, but I dont see NYRB biting on it. Only certain teams will be interested I think, and it really comes down to which ones think they can take him in without really disrupting the rest of their team.

As for him taking the money, on a personal level I dont blame him, but on a professional level, I sort of have to wonder how hungry he is. Thats the biggest thing about any team in MLS that will take him, they will want it to be on their terms.

9. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

No - he's right. Yanks Abroad isn't just a hangout and chat forum. It's for moderated discussion about Yanks Abroad. We can probably kill the News thread since there won't be much in the way of news until the transfer window re-opens, but the creation of that thread wasn't so we could have an anything goes thread here. This thread is for discussing developments, if any, in Freddy's European career.

Occasional jokes are absolutely fine otherwise I'd be forum banned, but the same folks making one liners isn't what this forum and this thread is about.

10. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then what is this thread about and how does it differ from the other thread?

11. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    so your saying i shouldn't make a joke referencing my earlier joke, quoting the anti essien (not sure what the poor guy ever did to that poster) post suggesting i underestimated the amount of threads that should be dedicated to adu?

btw, i think most (definitely me) are just taking the piss. the separation of church and state in regard to adu was a good move in a situation that obviously needed something to happen. not sure why the jokes are discouraged in this thread in the absence of real developments, but i'm not the one with the shnazzy admin tag under my username, so my vote only counts for 3/5th of a vote.

12. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense Dark Knight because I appreciate the work you do here, but every thread starts out with a smarmy one liner title. That is part of the fun of the non-news threads. If folks get a hair up their butt about it, they can resurrect the "news" thread from the ashes and post there.

13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Guys - I appreciate the feedback, but I've said it multiple times now - occasional jokes are fine - but this thread is for discussion about Freddy's career and this is a moderated forum. If you want unmoderated endless jokes about Freddy - head to USA Men. This forum is more akin to N&A where the goal is more serious discussion. If you want to discuss further, feel free to send me a PM.

14. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seriously, what do you have to do to be a mod anyways? sit on your comp all day waiting to tell others not to make jokes about a player whose career has nosedived? I just don't get this at all, this forum can be so snooty and ridiculous at times. Nothing is going on with Freddy. I wish the thread would just die. But it doesn't so whatever, I'll post some jokes about him because he blew it, continues to blow it and will most definately never pan out in the future.

TRUTH

15. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes...it gets annoying checking this thread, seeing the same old jokes (or arguments) over and over.

I just wish there were some news that we could make fun of...

16. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    well since he currently has no career you might as well lock this thread.

17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    What's the word on his training situation? With Aris or by his lonesome self?

18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy training with Aris would certainly be news so I suggest checking the Freddy Adu News thread. This is some other kind of thread.

PS: I forget where the Adu News thread is located. Maybe someone else can help out??

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1506036&highlight=Freddy

Nobody's posted in there for 3 weeks, so it's completely off the grid.

I'll refrain from a spunky one-liner as to avoid a rebuke from the "seriousness" police.

20. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    your agreeing with a tone of derision i had no intent of being present in my post. i was mostly just taking the piss and cracking a joke.

i've admin'd forums before. its not an easy job, and while i don't see the harm in jokes (even a lot of them) in an otherwise news barren thread, i understand that those who hold the keys to the throne are good people doing the best the can with a relatively bad situation.

21. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just my 2 cents. I was in the stands when Freddie debuted as a kid for DC United and I bit into the hype as much as anyone. I remember showing an English guy at work some of his You Tube highlights. It knocked him out as well and we thought this might be something special.

I think the tone of this thread is a result of this promise resulting in a parody of what a professional soccer player should be. The twitter posts are icing on the cake. Freddie seems to have no clue as to how far his star has fallen.

It is sad, but the amount of ATP burned in commenting about his fractured career in nonsensical posts is surreal, and strangely, entertaining.

Again, one fan's opinion.

22. MassYank

MassYank New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I remember showing an English guy at work some of his You Tube highlights. It knocked him out as well and we thought this might be something special."

Maybe he was just trying to be nice....:rolleyes:

In all seriousness. Freddy Adu's story is a unique story to US Soccer (before Adu, whens the last time we had some teenager who was branded as the next Pele????)

However, in countries all over Europe and South America it happens more often.. A young teenager rises through the ranks of an academy and looks as though he will be the next great soccer superstar....only to turn out to be a very average player or worse..

For every kid with superstar potential that turns into a Messi, there's another kid that you never heard of that doesn't. Were just not used to a potential superstar failing (probably becuase it's a rare for us to have a potential superstar in the first place), at least when it comes to soccer. Thats why Adu is such a talked about figure...

23. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second this motion...

24. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THIRD'D

shut this down, no freddy talk til there is freddy talk.

25. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are welcome to leave.