We don't need another gyro: Freddy Adu's Greek Tragedy

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Reignking, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disagreeing with you.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Spineless dickbag? Either Twitter is much more important than I give it credit for or you guys are taking a throwaway comment a little too seriously.

3. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    You don't get a pass on publishing something to the world just because you did it on twitter. Actually it's worse, because you can't claim you were misquoted.

4. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    But at least the tabloids had that right.:p They are not even reporting it.

Maybe Audi wrote Benfica a check and Keith is wrong too.;)

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite a challenge in 140 characters! Uber-Hemingway-esque! :D

6. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Guys, is the general consensus that Benfica would like for another team to take Freddy on loan and at least subsidize a modest portion of his salary? (Obviously they'd prefer that someone assume his contract in full, or for Freddy to agree to dissolve it, but we all know that's not happening...)

If so, how much would a team like Ingolstadt normally be willing to pay (wages) for an on-loan attacker? And is it so little that Benfica would say, "screw it; we'll keep him here, pay him in full, and let him rot"?

(My main concern was simply whether Ingolstadt thought he could immediately help on the pitch or not, e.g., "We know all about his past and that he has failed to live up to all the expectations that were placed on him when he was 15 and 16 years old...what we need are established players who can help us out at this stage of the season, not players who have a lot of potential." And with him potentially being rusty and out of shape, or at least not in game shape, well, that would work against him.)

7. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    he started playing at RSL in 2008, Adu left in 07.

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You disagree that Ian (as a pro athlete) shouldn't be saying/typing these things?

But you can claim your account was hacked. :rolleyes:

"Only the towel boy disliked him. And only cause he had sex with his mom."

See. Not too hard and paints a better picture.

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Says the guy with the "Shop Early" sig. Is January early enough for you? :p

Just kidding. I am not oldguyfc [RIP] old, but I'm old enough so that all this new media is beyond my grasp, or - more accurately - I'm still dipping my toes into the new media waters.

Somehow saying
    isn't my idea of spending my time wisely, but someone (i.e. my wife) might argue that neither is posting on BS.

Twitter is as important as people make it, and now Twitterers have one more tool (to express/make fools of themselves).

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No...Freddy first signed with MLS. Twellman did not.

Freddy's situation is, in this one critical regard, completely different from Twellman's and Cooper's. Freddy earned MLS a nice transfer fee. There's NO reason to think MLS will low-ball him to set an example to other players. What example would they be setting???

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have entered...the Freddy Zone!!!

12. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't know what kind of fan you are, but I want more pro athletes saying what they think/know/feel on Twitter. Where this falls on the kinda uncool to spineless d*bag scale, I'll let y'all debate. I will say that Ian Joy will probably get more followers from that comment.

I don't get all atwitter about it either, but since I can put it on my phone and easily read it wherever, it's actually an interesting and sometimes useful source of info for US Soccer fans.

13. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    he can't divulge it because he wasn't there...They never played together. According to Wikipedia they weren't even in the same country: Joy was playing for FC St. Pauli in 07, the only year Freddy was at RSL. Joy signed with RSL in January '08, Adu left RSL July '07. Basically he needs to shut his mouth.

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess one could always join in on the conversation and ask Ian for clarification, no?

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record I don't think he's a "spineless dickbag". I'm relatively sure he has a spine and does not have a bag of dicks...but I guess stranger things have happened in life...

What I DO think is this:
    1. As a fan, yes I do want him saying these things cause I want to know.
    2. As a coach or fellow player I wouldn't want him saying these things because I beleive what happens in the team should stay in the team...
    3. ...which leads me to say this was "unprofessional"

From what I took out of it I assumed his tweet to mean "I talked to people when I arrived at RSL and they told me he was unliked".

If you started a new job tomorrow and 50 people there told you the secretary they fired last month was a complete moron you might find yourself repeating that information to someone EVEN THOUGH YOU WEREN'T THERE TO WITNESS IT.

16. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not down with how twitter works exactly, but it seems to me that someone already asked that question and he didn't answer it.

17. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    that wouldn't be especially weird. all that has to happen is for ingolstadt to take up the portion of the contract that aris is currently paying. benfica and aris then disolve their contract and benfica loan him out to ingolstadt.

or if that is too much for ingolstadt, maybe adu would be willing to give up on a bit of money to get a chance to play.

18. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    late submissions:

A Match Made in Ingolstadt: Adu, du, liegst mir im herzen?

Adu Danube

Freddy Adu: The (near) Nuremberg trial

Freddy Adu: Making bank while riding the Schnitzelbank?

work with me, people.

19. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    ^^^^^
    THIS....now THAT shows wit. So repped.

20. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    That last bit was what I was thinking. A Tunesian defender tried to do that at 1860 last year: buy out his contract (some 700k) and then sign with 1860. The boy really wanted to play and 1860 had no money for a transfer...much the same as FCI.

I assume something like that could be done if all parties are willing to negotiate.

EDIT: Another report in the local paper to Ingolstadt. The coach says his priority is a penalty box striker.

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm not up on it either. I'm so lame as far as twitter goes that the only tweets I see are one's quoted in a BS thread.

22. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    That must be the counterpart to the supposed Hasselhoff-fandom. I'm quite sure less than 1/1000 of the German population have ever heard of this this song.

23. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This thread never ceases to amaze...

24. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    If they do end up concluding that he could help them on the pitch, I hope they can figure something out. After all, dissolving a 7 figure contract is one thing. Giving up, say, $100k might be different.

Yes, there were reports out of Greece that despite all the other theories, in the end the fallout boiled down to the owner saying "you're dead to me and to this club" after Freddy agreed to a pay cut but changed his mind after his agent nixed the idea.

True or not, who knows...so much conflicting stuff comes from posters seemingly in the know, sometimes expressed w/ 100% confidence, but then we later hear a different story, e.g., first we know for a fact that money's got *nothing* to do w/ anything, then it's got everything to w/ it, now it's again got nothing to do w/ things... (I love Aris fans. Passionate as hell? Yes. Collectively reliable in terms of accurate info and consistent opinions? I'd guess they're about on par w/ any passionate other fan base...)

All I know is this: if it does come down to that here - a modest pay cut in exchange for meaningful playing time - well, like I said, hopefully they can work something out...

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC