We don't need another gyro: Freddy Adu's Greek Tragedy

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Reignking, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I'm guessing clubs that don't intend to honor their contracts will be very turned off. Are there any player's agents out there accepting pay cuts? Maybe if he got to stay at AC Milan...

2. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the guy is not playing somewhere...anywhere by January, his career is pretty much over.

Someone in MLS might take a shot at him for $100,000 on a one year contract, but its going to be an iffy proposition. He has shown nothing (or very little) over that last 3 years, and apparently he did burn some bridges back in his days in MLS.

Frankly, I can't think of many teams wanting to take a chance on a guy whose career has been going in reverse for so long.

I think Freddy knows that his days are numbered and this is why he is holding on to his contract, it is probably his last big pay day ever, unless he can prove himself in MLS or Division 1.

He is still young and has talent, but this all looks very bad.

3. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How easily you seem to forget that the standoff is not about money. Freddy offered to take a pay cut and they still did not want him.

4. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey

According to at least one Aris poster, Freddy's agent talked him out of offering to take a pay cut. And that post is as well sourced as one stating that Freddy offerred to take a paycut and Aris still refused to take him.

5. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. I thought that offering to take the pay cut had been confirmed.

Oh well. As with everything with Freddy, nothing is ever normal or certain.

6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I desperately want to refer to the realest cheese sandwich. But it's too depressing.

7. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes... partially...

But it's also partially about the fact that, as a professional soccer player, Fredinho has been idle or played very sparingly now for going on 3 years...

I don't know what the odds are that he will return to some sort of peak form again (whatever that means for Freddy)... other than to say that the odds are likely not very good...

8. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's he supposed to do, agree to cut his own salary?

Freddie and his club signed a contract. Maybe the club is unhappy with that contract now, but it's not fair to expect a player to agree to give up money. And, it's not like they're going to play him more if he agrees to a pay cut.

The smart thing for both parties would be for them to agree to a lump sum payment to end the contract now. It would be less than the entire amount that would be due over the remainder of the contract term, but it would let both parties move on.

The most important thing for Adu is to get back to playing. If that means taking a contract for $100K to play for an MLS team, so be it. He's young and still pretty talented. Maybe he will never be an international superstar like people once thought he would, but I think with the right coaching, he can become a solid MLS performer with a long career ahead of him. I'd actually like to see him back here at DC United.

9. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might not play him more if he gets a pay cut but they may be able to send him somewhere else where he would get playing time.

It seems like he doesn't care if he plays or not. If he really wanted to play he could somehow make something work. He'd rather just ride out his contract and get paid for doing nothing. That's what I'm talking about future teams not liking.

Of course, he has every right to do this. Both parties signed the contract. I'm not saying that he's wrong in doing this legally, ethically, or morally. But it may be the wrong move for his career.

Of course, we're on the outside looking in and are not privy to everything that is going on. But it sure seems like he's a problem player that every team he has been with just wants to get rid of. Except maybe RSL.

He's American, I want him to do well. And he's got a good 15 years left in his career. I'd like him to do as much with it as he can. And riding the bench, or heck, at this point, sitting at home, isn't going to help any.

10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at the risk of repeating something somebody has already said...DC already has a smallish, immigrant, left-footed midfielder with mad ball skills who scored 5 goals as a teenaged rookie. And this one plays both ways and has no ego.

Though admittedly, Freddy would be the best forward on United by a long shot and has scored more goals in MLS than any of our forwards not retiring at the end of the season (christ man, it would be more than all of them combined if not for that noted marksmen Adam Cristman). but he ain't coming to DC for anything close to what he's making on vacation.

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    get paid

12. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "If the guy is not playing somewhere...anywhere by January, his career is pretty much over."

yep

and also 15 years left in his career? No way. I have gone from believer to confirmed non believer over his age. I don't doubt he's young but he's not that young. No way you play think or look that way at age 14-15. I have a 15 year old sister right now. There is just no way.

13. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pretty much come to this thread exclusively for the sandwich updates, at this point.

And, when they happen, it's worth it.

14. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't need another gyro.

15. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recent Freddy Tweets

Maybe ESPN wants him to commentate for them

Freddy is deciding to become a defensive midfielder?

16. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Chelsea needs someone with his skillset . . . .

17. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How "real" is the gyro that you don't need?

18. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    No way. I believe he is his stated age but that's 21. He's got 10-12 if he's lucky.

How much does he make again? If it's $1MM/year, one can't play him for taking (and hopefully INVESTING) the cash. His new market value is 10-20% of that so it would seem like a poor decision financially to walk from that money on the risk that the opportunity to play will create a sharp positive turnaround of his career that will make up the difference. On the other hand if he's only making a few hundred grand, then yes it might make sense to walk.

Meanwhile lot's of great Tweets with Ochocinco going on: http://twitter.com/freddyadu11

19. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The metaphysical delight in tragedy is a translation of instinctive Dionysiac wisdom into images. The hero, the highest manifestation of the will, is destroyed, and we assent, since he too is merely a phenomenon, and the eternal life of the will remains unaffected.

20. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just out of curiosity. In the ten pages of this tread has there been any news other than his tweets.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Where's the punchline?

22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Bump. Enough with the running one liners from the same few folks please. Thanks.

24. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If these threads are for discussing news about Freddy then why is there a separate thread for news about Freddy? Is the news supposed to posted over there and then we come over here to comment? What's the point of that? It's not done that way for any other YA.

25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Adu is unlike any other YA, he's SPECIAL!!!

Who's getting paid a $1M for doing nothing?