"We can't come up with a catchy title" Cristiano Ronaldo Thread Pt. 6 [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by GoodDead, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If Nani had scored that goal that Ronaldo set up for him we wouldn't be having this discussion, but also in the first half he was the first guy closing down Puyol and urging Tevez to get to Milito and Carrick to get Toure, and it worked really well Barca never built the game from the back as well as they normally do. In the second half Ronaldo cleared the ball from corners like 3 times, and got stuck in quite a bit in the last 20 minutes, he gave away a dangerous free kick at the end, but it all worked out ok for them. About the comparison to Tevez, you can't compare the two Ronaldo will never have the work rate and lion heart of Tevez, I love that guy.

2. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    So because he never was one to track back means he doesnt have to do it? He hasnt won a Champions League yet so if he wants to do it he needs to get more aggressive like Tevez.

I dont care if Ronaldo scores or not - if he had played his heart out like Tevez I would be happy.

Hargreaves was lucky that Iniesta didnt come at him more because the few times he did, he ran laps around him. But thats not Hargreaves position so its understandable.

3. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Yes we still would be having this discussion because I didnt like the way Ronaldo walked around the pitch. I even noticed it more when in the 1st 10 or 15 minutes he kept yelling at his teamates to move forward and put pressure on the Barca players yet after that he was walking around unless the ball came to him or it was a free kick or corner.

He has the heart - but not work rate.

4. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo wasnt a disgrace, he did well but not well enough for someone who is suppsoed to be the best player i nthe world..

was played out of positiion didnt get the ball enough... but he made some nice passes for his teammates and ronaldo didnt get 1 sniff of the goal... I only remmeber him taking one shot on goal and it was from outside the area...

5. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    How can you not consider his performance a disgrace? I'm basing my opinion on the comparison between him and Tevez who played up front with him. Tevez played his heart out, going forward and getting back to help. I didnt see that from Ronaldo, I saw him walking. Yes I know Ronaldo isnt a defensive player but neither is Nani and even he came back plenty of times to help the defense. And Park, forget about it - great game, played at full throttle through out.

I just dont understand how Ronaldo could walk around when so many players around him are hustling so hard (especially after he promised to score in this game). I'm as big a Ronaldo fan as anyone else but for some reason his performance today just annoyed me.

6. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I know exactly what your talking about. He really has a tendency to do that, be very lackadaisic. Although with that said his offensive performance was good.

On another note, he was played in the Striker position once more....

7. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Ronaldo has a tendency to walk around alot while others a running around. iIt doesn't matter if he is a defensive minded player or has never tracked back. This is the champions league. the whole world is watching. this is the tournament that makes legends. He can score all he wants, but if he doesn't he has to contribute in all other aspects, such as stopping a great barca team.

Anyway, he doesn't belong up top, he needs to play as a winger. otwards the end of the game he started playing aling the lines and had many more effective touches on the ball

8. Tribalsun

Tribalsun New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    ronaldo did well from a team aspect. unfortunately everybody outside of man u and portuguese fans will say he did nothing. this is because everyone expects him to do what messi did for barca. this will never happen for ronaldo with man u team that doesn't play possession soccer like barcelona. overall not a stellar individual game from him but good team game from him....he'll do better in the finals..

and finally, ronaldo will never ever have the work rate of a tevez or park. he's too "pretty">>LOL

9. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am sure Ronaldo did exactly what was asked of him, because Fergie knows the players he has. Just look the way he set up the team. Ronaldo was left up front because really he doesn't track back and hassle defenders it's not his game, neither does Messi but no one faults him for it. Leaving Ronaldo up front also made sure Barçelona was "honest" at the back it was very rare that you seen Zambrotta or Abidal comfortable enough to attack down the flanks (although they haven't done much of this all year, not really sure why they have the cover in Toure). So in leaving Ronaldo up front, basically looking lazy but also as an outlet (wasn't used much, but still) it forced Barça back, they always had the 2 CB's 1 FB and Toure not much further than the center circle the whole game.
    Also the moment Man U lost possesion in Barça's half you didn't see the 33 year old legs of Scholes pressing Toure as you would expect since he was supposed to be the more attacking midfielder of the central pairing, but no what you saw was Carrick getting in Toure's face as soon as he could. Scholes was instead left in the center circle normally keeping an eye on Deco (who was very lacklustre, scary moments for our NT if we plan to use him). Then you had Park who was hustling as hard as he could to get in Xavi's face and support Evra at the same time, the amount of Running Park and even Nani did this game was really impressive.
    I think it was a very well coached game by Fergie and Ronaldo filled in his spot in the team, maybe it isn't his natural position but he played it well.
    You only really see Ronaldo these days in his NATURAL position against weaker teams where you see Man U play more of a 4-3-3, with Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo swapping spots all over the top line, but even in that 4-3-3 when the opposition gets possesion you will notice that Ronaldo will turn into the CF while Rooney and Tevez do the dirty work.

10. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I have to say I was disappointed in his game tonight. I think he needs to work on his dribbling cuz all he seems to do is try beating his man with sheer speed, this is where Messi is much better at beating a man(I have never seen anyone get past markers as well as this kid...just WOW)Ronaldo had some good passes and cleared i think 3 high balls into his area. He needs to cut out the complaining cuz if i see that shit at the Euro i will snap let me tell you...cuz you know what...that is selfish and could cost the team( got a yellow for bitching).

11. Tribalsun

Tribalsun New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    it's funny you should mention Ronaldo's dribbling. I have to agree that he doesn't seem to dribble like he used to. he seems to prefer trying to beat a player with his quickness rather than a head fake, or even his cross over. I think these years in the english league has really changed his game. in some ways better but in other ways maybe not. now it seems everytime he gets the ball he seems to just run and run and run, whereas a couple years back he'd try to bring players to him and then head fake and gone.

as well as he's doing in the EPL and scoring goals left right and centre, i'd really like to see him head for Spain and play with a team with more of a passing game, where he'll have more support from the mids with more movement off the ball. that's where messi really excels. he was always available for the ball and he got it. when he started his dribble there was normally a player or two close for passes, whether, et'o deco or xavi. ronaldo on the other hand playing as a striker, was left to wait for others or try to take on two or three guys.

good luck to the kid in the finals...now don't get f'n hurt or tired for the Euro..:D

12. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Not a great display of his abilities

13. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Chelsea in the final vs Man united.

tough opponent, they often shut ronaldo down and he better be in the mood to play that night.

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Drogba is a beast.

15. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    CR vs RC in the final - it should be a good one...

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Now only the important trophies are left for Ronaldo to win.

Champions League, Premier League, Euro 2008.

18. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    most importantly the Euro! ;)

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agree'd

20. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Add 2 more goals to his tally. Wow!!

21. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    2 Games Left for Ronaldo. Vs Wigan in the last Prem Game of the season and Vs Chelsea in the Champions League Final.

Premier League: 30 :eek: (I CALLED THIS IN DECEMBER)
    Champions League: 7 (Goal leader as well)
    FA Cup: 3

Total: 40!

22. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    He's virtually unreachable now for the ESM Golden Boot, good for him.

Too bad Nani had to go make an ass out of himself. Those Amadora kids, Nani and M. Fernandes, really are a bunch of little immature kids. Nani is lucky he has good guidance under SAF, or he'd end up just like Fernandes, who I can guarantee, will go nowhere.

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :rolleyes: What a dumb general comment to make.

I mean, obviously what Ronaldo did in his first few seasons was anything but immature right? I mean, he would never think about retaliating against someone right?

I mean, Ronaldo never head butted a Portsmouth player 2 seasons ago, neither did Figo either against Holland?

Yep, Figo and Ronaldo are some of the most pesky Amadora kids around.

So tell me what Manuel Fernandes has done so recently to be given this title of immaturity? And go nowhere? Really? Hes only established himself as a key player in the midfield for a top 5 European bound team in the Premiership.

24. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    When I said make an ass out of himself, I wasn't referring to his headbutt, I was referring to how he reacted to it, by acting as if he had just received a severe blow to the head, thus making himself look like a dumbass because anyone with a TV will be able to see he was actually the one trying to headbutt. The headbutt was just unnecessary. The playacting aftewards was unnecessary, embarrasing, and immature.

As far as M. Fernandes, his immaturity can be seen as to how many teams he's been to in the past 2 years. Portsmouth, Benfica, Everton (twice), and Valencia. What good, stable, mature player does that? None. Oh, and please, he is not established in the slightest bit, and I'm not even trying to rip on him here. He's been hit by injuries since he's been back to England and has not played consistently, at all, so calling him an "established key player" is nonsense at best.

25. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Correct, even the initial act of head butting is immature. And we can go on forever on who play acts, Ronaldo, Gerrard Henry, Matrix...etc..etc..etc. My actual gripe with you was the generalization that you associated with people from Amadora.

He is prominent. I did exaggerate, however ask any Evertonian who they expect to be playing CM next season, and Fernandes will be a named that is echoed.