News: We Can't Afford Harry Kane - The OTT [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jul 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're all starting to sound like me re: kneeling...

2. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    So why so much booing, it pisses most xenophobe cunts. I disagree.

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    If you're happy with just pissing off xenophobic cunts, then we probably need to stop here.

4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i genuinely don't understand why people don't get this but to each his own. if anyone wants to continue to waste time with distracting gestures and another repeat of a failed experiment more power to them

benni... repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    https://www.skysports.com/football/...-leaves-everton-to-join-qatari-club-al-rayyan

only ever a matter of time. just a question of whether this becomes a Corradi situation

https://www.skysports.com/football/...h-calls-for-patience-in-brief-news-conference

also unsurprising

7. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Everyone has just been going through the motions for some time now.

What is the answer though? Point deduction for infractions? Fine? Mandatory education and volunteering within diverse communities? I do realize it is a complex issue, just curious what you guys think could be effective solutions (within the sport, at least).

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Its not that complex to me.

If you truly do not tolerate racism, the only way is to be heavy handed.

- Make a team play without fans for a month or more.

- Definitely use point deductions.

- No mandatory education. You're going to force a grown man to go to a class as if he doesnt already know discrimination is wrong.

They will go to the class simply because its an obligation, but they will come back the same person. Just like when courts force weed smokers to take drug classes. It doesnt help.

Im reading the debate between vaxxers and anti vaxxers. Look at the heavy handed tactics people want to employ to force people to get vaccinated. Use that same energy for racism.

Anonymous_United and jnielsen repped this.
  9. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    If Rooney is able to bring his team out of it. Offers for him will be coming in from the EPL.

1) Not enough players to start the season
    2) 12 point deductions
    3) Limited funds to get quality players in

I am rooting for him. Let's go!

Futbol_Head repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The taking of the knee is what it is and it always was: a symbol from those willing to show their support in the fight for equality and justice. It never was a means to an end or the ultimate/final answer to anything. And yes, it should be voluntary and at the discretion of each individual whether they chose to do so or not. United for instance, as a team, have decided that they would: obviously their choice, something they've all agreed upon and that is perfectly fine also.
    As far as more concrete actions that can and should be taken to combat racism, there are lots of measures that can be taken and have been discussed to death. But until the powers that be at the club/federation level and the sports governing bodies like FIFA and UEFA among others, enact and enforce real change, most of what can be done will have only so much effect in the end.
    Change at the top is where it starts and where it's really required for any meaningful change to happen imo.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  11. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Meaningful change isn't ever going to happen in soccer stadiums. The best you're ever going to do is stop the exhibition of racism in soccer stadiums (it ends with money). The same people who are in those stadiums will go outside and continue to have the same belief system they were raised with. It starts and ends with one's surroundings and upbringing. It'll take generations to eradicate racism. And it won't ever fully change until the world becomes a monoculture. Good luck with that.

Anonymous_United and benni... repped this.
  12. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1012 Futbol_Head, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    I'm with you regarding the point deduction and closed door games. Hit them where it hurts. You would think that would make incidents of racism less frequent. I'm not sure it addresses the root cause, but perhaps that is outside the scope of sport? It would be progress though, that is for sure.

Anonymous_United and benni... repped this.
  13. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1013 Futbol_Head, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Yeah, I can agree with most of that. We are generally a product of our upbringing and surroundings. But sometimes people can claw their way out of bad situations and start a new path. If your parents are racist or substance abusers, that doesn't necessarily mean you will turn out the same. The odds are certainly not in your favor though. In my opinion, you still have to try and create an environment that enables people to change and succeed. In that sense, it is multifactorial and complex. I think sport can certainly shed light on important issues like racism, but much of the ground work will have to be done elsewhere.

Anonymous_United and jnielsen repped this.
  14. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You cannot legislate to eradicate racism. What you can do is penalize the exhibition of it. So if racism rears its head in a soccer stadium then punish the team and fie them to stop it from being exhibited. Laws that protect individuals against discrimination in the workplace stop people from being discriminated against, in theory at least. So I'm not looking for nor am I expecting legislation to stop racism, I'm looking for the punishment of the overt display of it .
    As benni pointed out, a grown person would not change their mind, just do what's needed to comply with any individual punishment for example a sensitivity class. It doesn't go away and their minds aren't changed. But we can stop it in public spaces, again in theory.

Anonymous_United and Futbol_Head repped this.
  15. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. Think we are all on the same page.

16. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matthew Hoppe starting up top for Real Mallorca against Real Madrid. Lee Kang-In and Kubo also starting for Mallorca, while Camavinga gets the nod for Madrid. 3-1 Madrid so far at the half.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    If it is pissing them off yeah its working. You cant change narrative in yrs it takes decades.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Draw for the Carabao Cup 4th round.
    Chelsea v Southampton
    Arsenal v Leeds
    Stoke v Brentford
    West Ham v Manchester City
    Leicester v Brighton
    Burnley v Tottenham
    QPR v Sunderland
    Preston v Liverpool

Possibly were looking at a Manchester derby at OT. What might have been (even if we would have been underdogs)...

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My man Rome: more than just as a football player, it's been awesome witnessing his growth as a man in general. :thumbsup:
    1440957305391140866 is not a valid tweet id

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Need to see alot more of that. Clubs, national feds and governing bodies may not be able to eradicate racism from society. Having said that, they have the power to keep it away from the game, provided they only care to do so.
    Actions such as these are a start.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  22. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I wonder if they’re trying to get him to quit.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1023 Ashur, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Considering who Koeman is and what he represents to the club, I'd be surprised if Barca were actively trying to make him quit. But if he were to, would that work well for them? Of course: his contract runs only until next year but in their situation, whatever they can save is welcome. They're still paying off the previous guy, Setien and I believe Valverde also.
    Interesting lesson though, one which hopefully will be well learned not only by them btw. That hire never made sense in the first place and it cost them money to begin (as they had to pay the KNVB off to get him). Mainly got the job because he's a Barca legend (and had a big hand in the club winning their first CL/European Cup in 92)..
    Nothing wrong with hiring guys like that of course but they still have to be a good fit (and qualified obviously).
    The way we've seen his teams play in recent years, it boggles the mind why he got the job. But then again a few top clubs have made that mistake, especially of late apparently so...

EdIt: It seems that Koeman would be owed around 12mil Es total if Barca were to fire him. That sum includes the release fee Barca paid to the Dutch Fed to acquire him, except they didn't have the money so Koeman put it up himself, having made an agreement that he'd be reimbursed that money in its entirety if he did not get a third season at the club. As much as he'd want to, safe to assume that Laporta is not going to fire him unless it gets really, really bad (don't even have anyone officially lined up anyhow).
    Keeps getting better and better the deals Bartomeu made in his time in charge...

24. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We should loan him some youth players. Maybe the Fernandez kid and Elanga. Shoretire and Hoogewerf even. It's not as much pressure to stay up as they normally would have because everybody's been against them so it might work.

jeff070 and Futbol_Head repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1025 Ashur, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Putting aside the fact they would not be able to register new players until January, it stands to reason that Derby probably couldn't afford taking players on loan (surely would have been an option they would have gone with, if they could do so).
    Unless you're talking about United being benevolent here somehow, where they don't charge loan fees and pay the players' salaries themselves. And why would they do that?