We are the Timbers Army

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by j66j66, Jul 6, 2005.

1. j66j66

j66j66 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This week's Willamette Week cover story features the Timbers Army, the best fans in any sport in the country ([URL="http://www.soccercityusa.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1120654588/0]Talk Timbers thread[/URL] about the story). Great batch of pictures, too... Unfortunately, i didn't make it into any of the shots, but i think i'm behind a NO PITY scarf somewhere. Congrats, guys!

2. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Since it keeps coming up in regard to Section 8 Chicago, and it's only one friggen chant, I have a question for you guys, do kids/families come to Portland matches? With the blue chants/songs of you guys I'd figure it might hinder selling tickets to them.

3. Timbers_Roberto

Timbers_Roberto New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    It is mixed. You always see kids and families on the fringe of section 107 enjoying the atmosphere. There are also parents who write the club with complaints. In general, attendance has been pretty steady throughout the growth of the Timbers Army. I think the club is generally happy with it, especially since we have sold over 200 season tickets for our section alone and the beer/merchandise revenue from the TA is solid.

The thing to remember is 90% of the songs and chants are family friendly and if you sit far enough away from the section it all is noise and the words aren't super clear.

4. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How is the TA founded. You talked about season tickets, beer sales, etc.

Also, how the hell does that scarf cost 8$?? Where did you have them made and how many for how much?

5. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    We buy scarves 150 at a time at the cost of $8 each. It usually only takes a day or two for Timbers fans to come up with the money to make an order. Most people buy them 5 or 10 at a time and then sell them. They go fast. You can easily sell a bundle of 10 of them in one night.

I think so far we have sold 1350 of them. They are bought through sportsscarf.com.

6. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    The games I've been to seem to have a lot of kids. Not so much in the timbers section but everywhere else. That said. I usually have to work during the games so I dont get to go very often.

7. Timber Fanatic

Apr 22, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    Timbers Army has no organizational chart. We don't issue membership cards and we don't exclude anyone who wants to join. After all, if you want to be in the Army...you already are!

Before the 2001 season started emails were flying around on different soccer sites about trying to get a supporters section started. About 15-20 people showed up and said lets do it! It's gone from being happy if we had 40 people in the front two rows of sect 107 the first year, to being dissappointed if the section isn't FULL (450 to 500) with hundreds more hanging on the fringes on either side.

It's been very interesting to see how the crowd fills out the park this season. In the past it's been 75% sideline reserved 25% north end GA. This year I'd say it's at least 50-50. Section 107 behind the north goal used to be it's own little island, but now the whole north end is rockin!

There are the types who dislike our "bawdy & blue" chants. Some have even written to the club complaining that we "boooo" the other team! But now I am seeing people of all ages standing in or sitting near 107. Older gents, teenagers, massive amounts of the 21-40 age group, and even lots of families with kids. (although they tend to keep a section in between as a buffer). A few matches ago, a U15 girls soccer team (who had been sitting with the soccer groups on the upper reserved side), migrated over and stood in 107. 15yr old girls screaming Go home ya bums, you're going home in a Portland ambulance, and the always favorite goal kick chant "you suck A$$hole". They were RABID!

As was said in a message posted above, if fans don't like it all they have to do is move a couple of sections over and the words are very hard decipher.

8. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never get tired of Timbers Army stuff. You guys rock - a real tribute to USL, Soccer, and Portland as a city. If I had my way, you'd be MLS tomorrow.

BTW, a while back, there was a comic strip-thingy that one guy wrote about the Timbers Army. Does anyone have a link to that?

9. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much respect to the Timbers Army. Here's to ensuring that the respect goes both ways in future matches. *raises glass* Fellow fans first, team close second. See you all tomorrow at Fort Dent!!!

- Paul

10. j66j66

j66j66 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sure thing, it's right here

11. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    After hearing rumors of the Timbers' fans' support for their team and now reading this, I must say I want to see Portland gain status into MLS.

12. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Hopefully not at the expense of the KC Wizards!

13. italia1

italia1 New Member

May 26, 2004
    PDX, OR
    Tomorrow night (Friday) at 11 p.m. E.S.T., Timbers v. Sounders live on Fox Soccer Channel. There should be approximately 100+ Timbers Army invading Fort Dent in Tukwila.

14. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a good article.
    Do you guy's really get 1000 fan's standing with the Timber Army?
    The Timber Army seems like a fun bunch to watch a match with.

15. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    1000 is pretty rare. I'd say we definitely had that for the US Open Cup game vs. San Jose last year.

But 600-700 is not uncommon. Section 107 is usually full, and that's about 500.

16. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    For those of you setting your Tivo or staying up for the match, our Sounders fansite has the following preview with links to Seattle & Portland media articles:

FSC Match: Portland at Seattle, 11 PM EST/8 PM PST PREVIEW

The match will be held at Starfire Sports Complex because Qwest Field is being used this weekend for USA Gold Cup matches.

17. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I'm recording tonights match in hopes of hearing/seeing you guys.

18. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Any good footage of the Timbers Army idiot who threw the flare on the fieldturf pitch after Seattle was awarded a PK? Morons.

19. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    You mean tonight? I didn't see any flare after the bogus PK.

I am recording this one and will check back to see if I see anything. If anybody threw a flare, yes they are an idiot and should be thrown out, provided security actually DOES SOMETHING after people point out who the culprit is, which seems to be a problem with both S**ttle and Portland security.

20. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

It's no suprise that FSW didn't show it. It's seems the USL prefers to not show supporters groups shots for fear of alienating soccer moms.

I'm listening to the game via the Seattle webcast. After the PK was awarded the commentator said something like "and somebody from the Timbers Army has thrown a firework on the fieldturf pitch". It was obviously a flare as the TA are fond of them. Anyway he went on to say that it wasn't the first time they have done such things and went on to recall the incident at Qwest with the flares and the parked cars. He then said that security had surrounded the TA and that they were trying to find out who did it. He went so far as to suggest that if nobody owned up to it and the rest of the TA kept quiet that perhaps the whole lot of them should be kicked out of the stadium.

21. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    when was the PK awarded? I havent watched it yet, just got home from work.

22. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

31st minute. I doubt you'll see the flare incident, I doubt FSW is filming a lot of off field stuff.

However I'm sure we'll get post match confirmation of the flare throwing from the Seattle and Portland fans post game. Portland fans will be claiming that it was the horrible security that forced them to throw the flare on the field.

23. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    See, you have to get a player to come over and celebrate with you like Gary Brooks did in Virginia Beach in order to get on TV.

24. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Yes, it was thrown onto the pitch. Made it to about 5 yards from the goal box.

After that, both Starfire and Tukwila Police went over...and stayed there for the rest of the match.

25. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    It was a small firework from what I saw, a ground flower I believe, not a flare as one would call it. I did not see who threw it and wish I had. Attention from most was focused on the call on the field, not on what some other spectator was up to. Moron. Idiot. Imbecile. Take your pick.

As for being surrounded by security...if 4-6 security and one sheriff around 100 fans is being surrounded, then I guess we were surrounded.

It should be mentioned that the sun was very bright for about 15-20 minutes of the match as it was setting to the West and a small band of TA fashioned the big sunshine flag into a makeshift shade at the top of the stands to block the sun and help Josh Saunders see. If you Tivo'd the match you can see them clearly.

RCTID