WCQ tickets sent out yet?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Justin_P, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About ********in' time. Got 'em today. (Been a good week! In the past 7 days my brother got engaged, I got a new job, my wife got her MBA, and now I got my US-Mexico tickets. I don't think life could be better!)

2. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Call off the search because I also received my US scarf today. Nice! Much rep to fidlerre once it lets me again.

3. claire1

claire1 New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    ISO 2 or 3 tickets to US v. Mexico

Hi, longtime lurker who only posts when she needs something. :)

I am looking for 2 or 3 tickets to U.S. v Mexico. Can anyone help? I'd prefer not to use a ticket broker and give a soccer fan the extra cash. Obviously I will pay well above face value. If it matters, I'm a U.S. fan from Columbus.

Thanks in advance.

4. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Re: ISO 2 or 3 tickets to US v. Mexico

I may have 1-2 tickets available but won't know until Wednesday. PM me if still interested then.

5. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two front row USAvMEXICO-upper deck /semi-midfeild tickets just sold on eBay for $305. The most expensive tickets (not these) cost $100 each, and I dont think there was $105+ in fees for the original buyer.

6. Big Strong Patrick

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw that there are a hundered or so sets of USAvMEXICO tickets on sale right now on eBay. Four tickets (far south end row 16 upper deck) just sold for $600. Will all of this reselling of tickets undo homefield advantage?

7. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt there are too many Tri fans here in the US willing to drop $150 to see their team play. I think most of those ludicrous prices are hardcore US fans, but I could be wrong.

8. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don't know. I'd bet there are 10 times as many tri fans in this country that would throw down $150 for a game than there are US fans.

If there are that many tickets on sale, we've got some f-ing traitors in our midst.

BTW - I'm looking for one ticket if a friendly crew fan has an extra.

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be careful assuming that Tri fans don't have plenty of money. (I know that's not what you were saying, but lots of people here will jump down your throat on it anyway) Young male Mexican immigrants (legal and illegal alike) are a very good target demographic for American consumer products, which is why Telemundo et al. grab US rights to Mexico-US games while ESPN is still hemming and hawing and may not show the game at all.

The commercials on those broadcasts aren't just Budweiser and McDonalds - it's also Ford trucks and Panasonic electronics.

Ford sure isn't belllying up to the bar to pitch their products to USA soccer fans. If they were, ESPN wouldn't have scheduled a replay of a 50 year old boxing match innstead of US/Mexico.

ESPN: Boise State - Georgia
    ESPN2: Hawaii - USC
    ESPN Classic: Joe Louis vs. Billy Conn (I believe this was in 1946)
    ESPN News: Sports News
    Telemundo: Mexico/USA

(ESPN did originally have the game scheduled for the deuce, but have since changed the listing. Supposedly it is now being renegotiated)

That said though, really not a big deal. They were always going to get some tickets, and that's cool. A few hundred Tri fans adds some flavor to the thing. The goal was to outnumber them, both in number of fans and in crowd volume, 50 or 100 to one. And we easily will.

So yes, I would suspect that a good percentage (although by no means all) of the tickets going on eBay are to Tri fans, I don't mind a bit.A couple hundred Tri fans getting drowned out by USA USA USA ( a chant which they absolutely loath, which makes it even more fun) just adds to the entertainment.

I'll also point out - NOT THAT I HAVE ANY CONNECTION WITH OR KNOWLEDGE OF THOSE WHO MAY OR MAY NOT BE INVOLVED - but the word going around is that Project Mayhem (if it existed) would be targeting any attempted eBay ticket sale for this event and simply bid the prices up and leave the owner sitting by his empty mailbox.

Just saying.

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would Ford belly up the bar when Chevrolet is the sponsor?

Back in April or May, word was that the game would be on ESPN Classic. According to what I heard, Time Warner doesn't like ESPN Classic showing live events, since it's a channel for "classic sports." After negotiations, ESPN Classic has had a limit put on the number of live events they can show per year, and from what I've heard, that number is low, and close to being met without televising US-Mexico.

The newest word is that ESPN2 will delay it at 2 AM which sucks.

Here's FSC's schedule for 9/3

7 PM - Sky Sports News (delay)
    8 PM - Dream Team (rebroadcast)
    9 PM - MLS Colorado v. DC United (live)

I wonder how hard it would be for them to change it to:
    7 PM - Sky Sports News (delay)
    7:30 - US v. Mexico (live)
    9:30 - MLS Colorado v. DC United (30 minute delay)

At this point in time, FSC seems like our only chance for live english-language TV. FWIW, HDNet is also showing the Colorado-DC match.

11. Late Registration

Late Registration New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    And by "what I heard," he means, "what Grant Wahl told us in his article on SI.com."

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except I don't read SI.com, or even SI the magazine for that matter.

13. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    OKay, here is this better...

And by "what I heard," he means, "what Grant Wahl told us in his article on SI.com which I read about on BigSoccer."

14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the McBride quote.

As for the supposed talks going on to get the match on FSC, that's not much help. It's a game we want the most casual fans, High School players, Youth Players, EVERYBODY to have available. ESPN ought to be ashamed of themselves. Boise State? Hawaii? Billy Conn?

I'm normally very understanding of their problems: they're in business, and ratings are money. I get it completely.

But this is different.

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Coleman said that after today's match.

16. Big Strong Patrick

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If ESPN2 showed the USAvMEXICO game @ 2am that would make recording that game and the 9/3 Crew game much eaiser.

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    ESPN was running on the ticker that the game would be shown at 11:30 pm (PT?) on ESPN2. So you get a 3 1/2 hr delay. Guess Concacaf didn't take 1st week of college football into consideration when making the schedule, what is it with these guys?

If it really is at 11:30 pm pac time, is that stated as such to avoid Saturday/Sunday early morning confusion or just cause it looks better?

19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The scuttlebutt over on the dark side, from normally reliable people, is that no compromise is possible.

Time Warner, for some unfathomable reason, does not want this game on ESPN Classic, and there's no way they'll budge the College Football games. And since ESPN has an exclusive contract with US Soccer, the game cannot be switched to FSC. Supposedly they even took a swipe at trying to get it onto ABC Family, being part of the Mickey Rat family and all. No dice.

So thank the stars for your tickets. And shame on USSF for letting this happen. A great opportunity like this pissed right down the drain. Absurd.

20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just caught this over on the Mexico boards. Nobody seems to feel there's anything ...um....unusual about it.

Let alone the fact that the seller is a "new" dealer.

Like I keep telling people - eBay is not the place for tix. It's being fvcked with big time, and all I can say is "nice job"

http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-vs-Mexico-FIFA-world-Cup-Qualifier_W0QQitemZ6555500981QQcategoryZ16122QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(I'll leave it to fid to tell you how likely it is that some random clown got a block of 50 seats.)

21. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the colors they used at the bottom of the description.

I buy and sell (on commission) items on Ebay, and there ain't no way I buy *anything* - especially for $160 bucks - from somebody with zero feedback. Hell, I'm reluctant to sell to someone with zero feedback.

Man, that's 8 large if they manage to sell all 50 "tickets". That's a nice scam... (off to ebay to register a new id...)

22. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Sad to report, it's more than likely a legit sale.

And the person doing the selling should be hung by their balls...

23. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not one to doubt you fid, but it will be a cold day in hell before I send money off to some eBay "dealer" with no feedback who wants $160 for a ticket plus ten bucks "flat rate shipping" a 0.2 oz. piece of paper.

As a general rule, that's a bad bet.

24. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Bill, are you still in need of that extra ticket?

25. One More Year

One More Year New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Frisco
    I am coming from Dallas and was wandering if there are any Marriott hotels near the stadium? I have points and would love to use them for this game.