Wcq: Portugal vs Ireland (sept 1)

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by prodigal_mind, Aug 26, 2021.

1. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    The reason I brought this up because we have a lot of young people who never saw Portugal failed to qualify. Today when I was watching the game, I thought if we lose that qualification might not happen. This was a huge game. We should have won easily. Portugal had many chances but the finishing was lousy. Both Jota and Bernardo Silva should have scored. I can’t remember the last time that Ronaldo failed to score on the penalty.

2. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hopeless balls into the box are down to the player being shit at crossing. we had 3 good crosses into the box all game, 1 for Jota head against the post and the 2 goals. players need to take responsibility they are professional players who can’t beat the 1st defenders or crossing and missing every one, put in quality crosses and we put games to bed.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  3. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Trailing against Ireland most the 90 minutes, at home, and celebrating like the way they did at the end of the game is something you'd expect from, say, Armenia, Montenegro, Moldova. When you it's Portugal and myriad of high profile players, you know something is awfully wrong. But that's nothing we didn't know about.
    The Irish sportsmanship is even more corrupt than that of the English. A bunch of nasty cheats.

4. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Going forward I wanna see this lineup

Patricio
    Canc pepe Dias Mendes
    Palhinha Mario
    Bernardo
    Guedes Ronaldo trincao

would be interesting to try Sanches instead of Trincao too. Could interchange with bernardo and Mario throughout the match for more unpredictability

If neto returns back to his best then even better

The Zeta Variant repped this.
  5. Paposeco

Paposeco Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    If we can't beat Azerbaijan without Ronaldo with the talent we have, we don't deserve to qualify.

eurodad repped this.
  6. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agreed! The Seleção again, like the Euros, lack chemistry and creativity. Like I said during the Euros, this team (Santos) needs to change their strategy and formation. The type of players they have is just not suited to play a 4-3-3. Santos needs to stop being stubborn... And also agree about the short corners... Such a waist. Get that shit the ******** out of the game plan. Put the ball into the box in front of the net... simple.

Cancelo looked good and you can see why he was missed during the Euros. Glad to see Ronaldo get the 2 goals to get the pressure of the record out of the way and help win it in clutch time.

7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Difference was that the Lampiao took Bruno off but left an equally shitty Bernardo on. Wonder why...

8. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo Writing on his Instagram account, he said: “From all the records that I have broken during my career – and fortunately there have been a few – this one is very special for me and it’s certainly on the shelf of the achievements that make me truly proud.

“First of all, because every time I represent my country is a special moment, for knowing that I’m defending Portugal and showing to the world what Portuguese people are made of.

“Secondly, because national teams competitions have always had a very strong impact on me as I was growing up, watching my idols playing for their flags every other summer in Euros and in World Cups.

“But finally and above all, because scoring 111 goals for Portugal means 111 moments like the ones we experienced today in Algarve, moments of worldwide union and happiness for millions and millions of Portuguese citizens all around the Globe. For them, every sacrifice is worth it.

“Thank you Portugal. Thanks to all my team-mates and opponents for making this journey so unforgettable. Let’s keep meeting inside the pitch in the years to come! I’m not closing the count just yet.”

9. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    No that’s not the point. The point is that the only players you criticize are none Sporting players. Bruno has been complete crap for many games now but still starts games and you never criticize that, why ? By the way I still see JM as a Sporting player that is now playing for Benfica AND he did help change the game. Instead of giving him credit for playing well, you are upset he replaced a sporting player that was and has been complete shit for our NT. I’m not defending this coach, can’t stand him.

Ultimategino repped this.
  10. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    You think it's bad that Portugal celebrated a last-minute, come-from-behind victory in World Cup Qualifying? Do you think they should have silently apologized for taking too long to win and slunk off the field with their heads down?

"Tell me you've never played competitive sports without telling me you've never played competitive sports."

verde-rubro and SCP_16 repped this.
  11. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    1. Bruno was shit, but he was and constantly is played out of position by Santos. Bernardo actually plays out wide on occasion with Pep and Man City. Still, Bruno needs to do way better if he wants to be considered one of the worlds best. Period.

2..That's not my point. Nobody cares what you consider JM to be. Point is, he was a starter on a record setting team last year but because that team was Sporting, Santos never called him up. Only took the guy 4 games in an SLB jersey before getting called up.

Rafa is another example. He's not a starter at Benfica. He warms the bench. Yet, he starts for the NT now? It's Lampiao clubismo bullshit.

12. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  13. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
  14. Ultimategino

Ultimategino Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jul 13, 2021
    Sao Miguel
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #164 Ultimategino, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Rafa does start and he is statistically the fastest player for the National Team his pace makes him an ideal impact sub.

Also you are arguing over petty bullshit, anyone with half a brain could recognize at this point why the ******** is Jota still out there? Gudues managed to look Santos look retarded in the span of 5 minutes.
    Then there is Guerriero LOL why? Now of course the embarrassing case of Matheus Nunes LAUGH MY ********ING ASS OFF!

I promith eye wil car yu nex tim plz dot ho basil

[​IMG]

SCP_16 repped this.
  15. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  16. Ultimategino

Ultimategino Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jul 13, 2021
    Sao Miguel
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  17. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Joao Mario played very well when he came in. He should have been called up for the euros , what a joke. He’s not a game breaker but he is steady and reliable and we don’t have enough midfielders with that profile.

Guedes also made a good entrance.
    We were subpar and Ronaldo saved the day against a weak Ireland side.

Bruno Fernandes has no place in the starting eleven. He has had enough chances . He should be used as an impact sub.

18. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Seeing as Ronaldo is out against Azerbaijan, I would like to see a 4-4-2 system similar to the u21 setup.

——————-Patricio—————-
    Cancelo——Dias——Pepe—-Mendes
    ——————-Palhinha————-
    —————Mario——-Otavio——
    ———————Bernado———-
    ————A.Silva———-Trincao

19. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  20. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We have the friendly before that so I would send Ronaldo home and play the team that he wants to play against Azerbaijan in the friendly to get some chemistry

21. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    ronaldo has been released he won’t play against Qatar and Azerbaijan (suspended).

I hope
    To see Trincao start . He looked great against Manchester United last game.

22. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree, z.

Sucks Bruma didn't get a call.. Him/trincao... Silva scoring with that much Creativity. (Which we need)

Santos is gonna cost us... Can't believe you guys don't see it. He's been piss poor with tactics.

23. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bruma has been absolute trash for PSV. They've been trying to find a way to get rid of him but nobody wants him.

verde-rubro repped this.
  24. Ultimategino

Ultimategino Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jul 13, 2021
    Sao Miguel
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

25. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    None of this was my point. My point is that you guys hate and argue with each other as if you’re any different than each other. I don’t mean this as “hey, we’re all Portuguese and it should be a line fest”. No, I mean you guys slamming each other, are slamming yourselves, because there is zero difference between the Sporting, Benfica or Porto
    die hards. You’re all the same person.