WCQ Oct Home Game Locations

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by phillyfan593, Dec 16, 2019.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincinnati and Columbus are less than 2 hours apart. It's by definition the same area. There's going to plenty of the same people going to those games. Or they won't go simply because they had the other experience.

Tradition is not a rational reason. You shouldn't do things just because you did them in the past. That's led to a tremendous amount of monumental historical mistakes.

There are literally almost 200 stadiums in America that are larger than the biggest soccer specific stadiums. You can't find valid reasons to overall reject each and every one of them.

Every option has a flaw. So do some of the stadiums they ultimately chose. I can identify the same amount of flaws or more with them.

What you seem to be doing is starting out with their choice, present and past, and rationalizing why it was one of the best choices because they are a nominal authority.

This is a fed that managed, against all odds, to get dq'ed last cycle. And their stadium selections were one of many contributing factors. In addition they managed to get out-profited by a women's team, unlike any other nation in the world, and very few sports. They haven't made good choices for the USMNT in general because they often don't have the priority and/or capability.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Being less than two hours apart is by definition the same area when it comes to proximity and geometry. But there are many cities in America that feel totally different even one hour away from the other city.
    Culturally and MLS soccer demographics/ supporters one can say they are different areas.
    I am not from Ohio but once heard someone say that Columbus identifies more with Cleveland than it does with Cincinnati but that is all anecdotal.
    And as I said earlier it is kind of surprising to have two Ohio back-to - back.
    However, as long as we get good Pro-USA support it can be played on the moon for all I care. And second Moon site 5 minutes North.

It is all semantics anyway

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #328 HomietheClown, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Sports do not have to be rational. Tradition and pageantry and fanaticism are not based on rational logical reasoning all the time. There are emotional and psychological elements one must take into account as well.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Cincinnati doesn't think of itself as part of the rest of Ohio, and the rest of Ohio agrees. It's Northern Kentucky to a lot of people.

It's actually a pretty fun city, now. the Over the Rhine district is pretty awesome -- tons of breweries, bars, restaurants, very cool looking and fun vibe.

TQL stadium is right there, adjacent to it.

Would be a great game to go to for that reason alone.

HomietheClown repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #330 HomietheClown, Jul 28, 2021
    Something cannot be literally and almost. It is either literally or almost but that is more of a semantical game.

People can find valid reasons to reject based on their own criteria and agendas. That is what the USA Federation is doing with their criteria.
    And that is what I do in these hypothetical, fun threads with my own criteria.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good for you.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #332 HomietheClown, Jul 28, 2021
    And you are wrong in thinking this way.
    I am being pragmatic but also open to many different scenarios. Hence, I have liked many people's opinions and liked many people's suggestions based on their criteria.
    I am not saying things in the past must be applied always to the present.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This has little to do with this thread I created or anything I am discussing currently.
    I do agree the Fed messed up on a few things last cycle though and previous ones as well.

But so far I love the four home choices for the Ocho.

9. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    This sheds light on location selection. Looks like nothing in the NE this cycle.

“We took a hard look at all the venues, and I think one thing that was important was we’re going need every venue that we play in, to have an absolute rocking crowd,” Berhalter said during a Zoom media press conference previewing Thursday night’s Concacaf Gold Cup semifinal vs. Qatar Wednesday afternoon. “We feel like we made some mistakes in the last qualifying cycle, particularly in the Costa Rica game, not having a crowd that was that was 100 percent U.S. and that’s going to be extremely important.

“When I look at you know some of the venues we’ve chosen already and will continue to announce, I think it fits perfectly into what we’re talking about. Cincinnati in particular has a good capacity stadium, brand new stadium. I think it’s going be a fantastic venue to compete against Mexico.”

PabloSanDiego and HomietheClown repped this.
  10. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That also is gonna exclude anywhere in California or the Southwestern US.

11. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    I figured we wouldn't play any games on the west coast due to travel unless the Canada away match is in Vancouver. If not, we wont play anything further west than probably KC.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As a general rule yes.
    San Jose gave us a pretty good Home- field against Honduras though.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    So , if they do avoid coasts then Minnesota, K.C., Utah would get the last three matches more than likely.
    At least those are the areas I would favor. Maybe Colorado.

14. Joe Kurr

Joe Kurr Member

Sporting Kansas City
    United States
    Mar 21, 2017
    Quite the opposite, I think the snow made it that much better for me! It was my first cap, so the snow is something I will always remember. That, and some of our supporters throwing snow balls at the Costa Rican Goalkeeper.......Now getting out of the parking lot and driving back to KC, well that's a different story.

HomietheClown repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    See, I do remember the funny stories like this but I do not remember people saying it was miserable or terrible.
    I am sure there's someone though since snow is not for everyone.
    I know my family would have dreaded it but they mostly come from Florida.

16. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you could get away with playing Panama or Honduras in Northern California (we did that last cycle), el Salvador a bit less so.

If Canada has our game in Vancouver, I can easily see at least one in the West Coast.

17. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    I think it’s a no brained to have at least one west coast match, if we play in Vancouver

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    El Salvador in Seattle or Portland is what I would do in the case Canada is in Vancouver.
    Or Utah since everyone complains about those options.

19. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    It’s hard to believe with all the advances it turf someone hasn’t come up with a better surface for soccer or better ways to lay temp grass over artificial turf. I was at the USMNT PANAMA WCQ In 2013, it was awesome and a great atmosphere but the pitch was crap.

As soon as someone figures this out, Seattle or Portland should get the next UWMNT Mexico qualifier. Of course we have no qualifiers next cycle, so we have like 7 years to figure it out.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Someone else would have to chime in on this but when the USA beat Ecuador up in Seattle during Copa America Centenario the field looked a bit better than 2013.

For one match against El Salvador I think it would not be the worst thing in the world to play up there. Heck, they need to learn how to play on crappy turf in CONCACAF anyway. :p

21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'm sure they could make a turf that is much better for soccer. The new turf is sooooo much better than old turf, but I imagine it's optimized for American football. I just doubt there's all that much demand for it.

22. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After living here for 35 years, I can tell you for certain that snow is not likely to be an issue in January / February in St. Paul.

The lack of things like...clouds...degrees...THAT would be a problem. It really can get too cold to snow a lot.

bigredfutbol and HomietheClown repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    So Polar Vortex soccer!

Dead Fingers and Bluecat82 repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Bluecat82 and gogorath repped this.
  25. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about a qualifier in Idaho? Very few Jamaicans or Panamanians there.