WCQ Oct Home Game Locations

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by phillyfan593, Dec 16, 2019.

1. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    I know the final rankings don’t come out until around June 2020. But just for fun, give me your best guess is for each team that has a realistic chance to make the hex and where US would pick to play them. Do you guys think Mexico will be back in Columbus despite the streak ending there against them?

HomietheClown and wixson7 repped this.
  2. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I think Crew stadium is done, at least for Mexico. Here’s my best guess:

Locks:
    KC
    Minnesota
    Orlando

In the hunt:
    Portland
    Seattle
    Columbus
    The Dick
    Salt Lake

Maybes:
    Cincy- I believe the stadium should be complete by the end of the Hex?
    Louisville- it’s pie in the sky, but their new USL stadium could actually work for a WCQ

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3 HomietheClown, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    I just hope we don't do something stupid again like play Costa Rica in New Jersey.
    I still believe that was one of the dumbest decisions our Federation has ever done for a Hex and a big reason why we did not qualify.

The list above me looks good.

Orlando is a must in my opinion. We have played very well there.

KC and Seattle have to be on the schedule too. I am still scratching my head as to why those two venues did not host last cycle. (Schedule conflicts most probably, but still confusing.)

Hot take:
    I think now is the time to play Mexico in a new venue. Minnesota would probably be the best place. Still kind of centralized location, State of the art facility, and a good local season ticket fanbase that demographically is probably not Mexican -American. And if we play them in Cold weather it would be more fun and add more drama.

Atlanta, Connecticut, Nashville, Columbus, Denver, Salt Lake, Portland, Cincy, DC all vying for the 5th slot.

largegarlic repped this.
  4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    If memory serves, the venue choice is SUM's decision. I wouldn't be surprised if US-Mexico is in LA or Dallas.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They won't be that stupid.

6. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    East coast has to get a game though, right? Just not against Costa Rica but maybe some other federation?

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I would only consider Connecticut and DC. And only if it is a team like Panama or Caribbean team.

8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    They are that greedy.

I'm not saying it will happen there but I could see it.

jnielsen repped this.
  9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 ThreeApples, Dec 17, 2019
    Seattle has some drawbacks--it needs a temporary grass field, it's a long flight for players coming from Europe, and it's also a long flight from all of the possible road locations that it would be paired with in the same FIFA window.

Also, for this cycle, only one home date (March 2021) will be outside of the NFL season, so it's tough for the likes of Seattle.

As for other "no-brainers", there are only five games, so there are always going to be arguably outstanding locations that get left out. Alas, only eight years until the next qualifying cycle!

Panama won't be in the Hex, and the only Caribbean team will be Jamaica, which from past experience isn't a good idea to play in the Northeast.

They've always been greedy but somehow avoided ever putting US-Mexico in LA since the Hex format has existed.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #10 HomietheClown, Dec 17, 2019
    I am aware of those cons for playing in Seattle but still, it provided one the best home fields in the 2014 cycle they could have tried to fit it in somehow.
    If not Seattle then Portland.
    We do not usually play FIFA dates on Sundays so I don't think NFL scheduling would be much of a problem.

Thanks for mentioning that, I figured that Panama, was not going to make it after looking it up but already posted it and could not edit.
    Playing a Caribbean team in Hartford would not be that bad, I remember one Hex we got a god result. DC's new stadium was bad for a friendly but I think a Qualifier might have more enthusiasm and hype than a friendly for local season ticket holders
    But yes, the East Coast is not on my priority list.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Let's add San Jose to the list.
    Loved what we did to Honduras in that stadium.

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL is an issue because there's no chance of bringing in temporary grass during the NFL season.

jnielsen repped this.
  13. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'd consider the smaller MLS stadiums only, with the exceptions of Seattle and Atlanta. The California and Texas stadiums likely lose out for obvious reasons, but they get Gold Cup matches instead.

If I have to pick 5, I'd do:

Seattle or Portland
    Salt Lake City or Denver
    Kansas City
    Orlando
    Washington DC

If Columbus gets grandfathered in, then switch out Orlando. But I wouldn't assign the Mexico match to Columbus anymore.

largegarlic repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does not.

15. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    I would be surprised if Columbus doesn’t get a game. Especially since there is no second round. Too much history there. It doesn’t have to be against Mexico but they have to have one there.

Also think you locations are pretty accurate if they want to spread this out across the country while be cautious on away fans showing up. Thinks it’s cool if everyone has one opportunity to see USA once. Qualifying right to hex makes it more difficult for that. But obviously whatever is best USA soccer

TKyle and schrutebuck repped this.
  16. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I think it somewhat depends on the ordering of the games too. I bet the fed likes Orlando as a home venue when paired with a game in the Caribbean, since it makes travel easier. Maybe Salt Lake or Denver would be a good venue before playing at Azteca to get used to the altitude.

Why doesn't Philly get many games at the Union stadium (I think they played Bolivia there under Sarachan...can't remember too many others)? There'd maybe be fewer away fans than NY/NJ or DC, and I'd bet the Sons of Ben could bring the noise.

17. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    #17 kba4life1, Dec 17, 2019
    Travel for our Euro players and logistics to/from Central America and the Caribbean are obviously factors, but we can’t dick around with this. The risk of not qualifying for two world cups in a row would be pure disaster. If Portland gives us a better chance to win, we play there. Pure and simple.

Also, Austin’s stadium should be done for the tail end of the Hex. That is something that could offer a good pro US crowd while minimizing travel a bit.

schrutebuck repped this.
  18. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree there should be more :thumbsup:

Fans from several markets would have travel access.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I heard a few years back that the neighborhood around the stadium is not that nice. Has that changed recently?

largegarlic repped this.
  20. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras and El Salvador will most likely be the 6 teams if that helps you guess venues.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #21 HomietheClown, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    I would do:
    Mexico- Minnesota.
    Ticos- Seattle/Portland
    Reggae Boyz - Orlando
    Catrachos- KC
    La Selects-Columbus/Cincinnati

But of course it depends on schedule and conflict factors.

TKyle and schrutebuck repped this.
  22. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those suggesting DC/East Coast:
    Have you *been* to a USMNT game on the East Coast? International fans travel to matches on the East Coast. I’ve been to my fair share (4) at old RFK; an international city is not the place you want for a good pro-USA crowd in crucial matches like WCQ’s. The East Coast can have Gold Cup matches and friendlies.

My five:
    Minnesota
    Kansas City
    Denver or Salt Lake
    Columbus
    Orlando

Cinci drew crap for a friendly last June, and Nippert has field turf. Even if the new stadium is ready, they won’t have hosted any USMNT matches there prior to WCQ. ISTM that the 5 hosts should have some track record in their ability to be a host.

San Jose, Portland, and Seattle have all hosted WCQ’s before, but there’s the issue with travel for our Euro based players, Seattle’s turf during pointyball season notwithstanding.

Three and Three repped this.
  23. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    You make fair points. But those are five locations you would want them to pick. Those aren’t locations where you think they will pack is it? Those are two different things. I guess you can give both opinions on this thread. Totally understand where you’re coming from.

I would be surprised if there is no game in Columbus. Again it doesn’t have to be Mexico. But there will I think and should be I think a game there.

As far as the East Coast. I would think that it would be a locket that there would be at least one close by but that Costa Rica game might have rubbed too many people the wrong way to where they might not even consider it this time

TKyle repped this.
  24. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, there are three “categories.” What one wants them to pick, what they should pick, and what they will pick. My list is what I think they should pick. Living in Ohio, I’d “want” them to swap out Orlando for Cincinnati, but that won’t happen!![emoji4]

Of course, the unknown is: what they *will* pick. It is crucial that we qualify. USSF should obviously select sites that give us the biggest pro-US and smallest opponent-supporting crowd as possible. And if possible, add in an intimidating environment (Snowclassico in Denver, Guerra Fria in Columbus, Monsoon in Columbus, etc). There’s also the factor of training based on who the opponents are during a home-away window.

USSF has made some boneheaded decisions before—vs Jamaica in DC in ‘97, vs Honduras in DC in ‘01, vs Costa Rica in NYC in ‘17. We can’t afford another bad choice. Even if that means not playing in the Northeast.

25. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011

Everything you said was perfect and made total sense. But I think there is a way for them to do an East Coast game. Put the El Salvador game on east coast. If you can’t beat El Salvador anywhere in America, you don’t deserve to go it to the World Cup. Just my personal opinion. I feel like the other four nations, will have to be more careful where we select because they can be tricky at times. But there’s no way in El Salvador should be tricky anywhere in America. If they are, then we don’t deserve to go to the World Cup. Just don’t. Lol

TKyle repped this.