WCQ: Oct 10th at Panama - (Panama City)

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Jun 21, 2021.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  2. DaniChandler

DaniChandler Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Panama Canal
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    For those who will come, I hope you enjoy your time in Panama. For those days, a heavily rainy Panama city, so be prepared with rain coats and jackets.

I recommend you to watch the game from the 2nd level (the highest one) as from there the perspective to the pitch is better imo.

Related to COVID, Panamanian authorities expect that two thirds of the population will be vaccinated by October thus the health situation should be under control.

HomietheClown and wixson7 repped this.
  3. KurtisW

KurtisW New Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 7, 2021
    How does one go about getting tickets for this match? Planning on making this my first match out of the states.

wixson7 repped this.
  4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Just watch this thread for details as they get released.

Short answer, you can buy general tix when Panama puts them on sale to general public, or buy them through USSoccer/AO/Sammers when they get their supporters section allocation.

Probably not for another few months at the earliest.

Great away trip btw, fun modern city, cool old town , tons of side trips and pregame around the stadium is a fun scene.

DaniChandler repped this.
  5. KurtisW

KurtisW New Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 7, 2021
    Thanks I appreciate it. Looking forward to it and a little nervous at the same time. We're heading out that Friday until Tuesday.

6. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I stayed in the Casco Viejo area before, really fun and beautiful area.

DaniChandler and wixson7 repped this.
  7. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Love that area, so cool. I stayed in Obarrio, at super hip/cool (i think) hotel Sortis. Modern area, shopping, restaurants, etc.

8. KurtisW

KurtisW New Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 7, 2021
    wixson7 repped this.
  9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  10. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Fyi. Kickoff push up a few hours. Not 5p local time, 6pm EST.

11. Silverbacks34

Silverbacks34 Member

Leicester City
    Feb 18, 2009
    Stone mountain, Ga
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Any good meeting spot in Panama? I notice they have a hooters out there in .... You can't go wrong with hooters..lol

12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Tickets

Date: Sunday, October 10, 2021

Time: 5 PM Local Time (CDT)

Price: $46 USD

Ticket type: Tickets will be delivered electronically next week.

Sale opens: Now

Deadline to purchase: Sunday, October 3 at 5 PM CDT

**Use code AWAYSUPP for access**

13. KurtisW

KurtisW New Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 7, 2021
    Where do I go to get them? Not seeing them on Ticketmaster

14. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  15. KurtisW

KurtisW New Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 7, 2021
    Dang. Not working. Has me sign into my Ticketmaster account. Once I sign in it only shows me the home games.

16. KurtisW

KurtisW New Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 7, 2021
    I can venmo someone who's a member if anyone's available to get me two tickets.

17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  18. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Actually, I'll buy one and then will transfer to you. Send me an email to confirm

Chris.wixson@comcast.net

19. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Here u go..

Night before:
    Tantalo Rooftop Bar
    Calle 8 Este con, Av. B
    Panamá, Panama
    7PM CT

Day of game:
    LA CAJITA - W HOTEL
    C. 50
    PANAMÁ, PANAMA
    Noon (Bus Leaves at 3pm CST)

20. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Universo briefly showed your group during pregame. Trip and match reports, please.

21. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    The Panama fans were friendly enough, though mostly disinterested in the US fans (in comparison to other Central American opponents). Same as I remember in 2017. We took a taxi to the stadium and walked the last bit, stopping at a small sports bar on the way. The festivities outside the stadium were a bit more subdued compared to Honduras or El Salvador. Not much open drinking in the streets - I was told this is illegal. Not sure if that applies in general or maybe just for this match since alcohol was banned in the stadium (due to Covid, I think?).

In any case, had some friendly conversations and photos on the way in. The line to enter the stadium grounds was quite long (30 minutes), I think due to the vaccine checks. Had some brief confusion when she expected to find my passport number on my CDC card, but this was successfully explained away.

The US section was in the lower corner (upper left on TV), directly below where it was in 2017. At the left side, a string of caution tape separated it from the Panama fans. A lot of police throughout the section (too much for my taste - it felt like we were always being watched from all sides and above). There were perhaps 100-150 US fans in the section - the usual mix of traveling supporters groups, randoms, expats, and a group from the embassy. There was a band again like in 2017, this time directly to the left of the US section, mixed in among the Panama fans. They played 90 minutes without breaks and would’ve successfully drowned out anything coming from the US section. The US section was noticeably dead, as far as any organized singing or chanting. What was happening on the field probably had something to do with that.

No alcohol in the stadium (except in the suites). However, some vendors were selling the “agua especial” - empty water bottles that were completely refilled with rum. The police in our section noticed this eventually (some of us were getting a bit too cavalier with it). However, it wasn’t a problem.

The Panama fans were noticeably late arriving, which is again what I remember from 2017. Their organized supporters section (“La Extreme Roja”) put up some cool banners and tifo behind the goal again. It’s something unique among the Central American countries. We caught some spray when Panama scored and at the final whistle, but nothing major. Except for the guy who threw his drink at us from about 20 feet behind us in his suite - a bold move.

Around the start of second half stoppage time, the ballboys on our side must’ve gotten their instructions from above, as they gathered together at the midline to plot. Aaronson had to fight with one of them to get a ball for a corner. And then there were the three or four balls deliberately thrown onto the field to disrupt play. In stoppage time, every ball boy and ball was in the far corner (e.g. as far as possible from the goal where the US was trying to score). And at least two pitch invaders (one even stole a ball from the ball boy and booted into onto the field).

After the game people were friendly, with of course a little ribbing mixed in. We went back to the same sports bar to wait for traffic to die down and spent over two hours there. Quite a festive atmosphere.

In all, it was a fun time. Could’ve used a better result.

22. DaniChandler

DaniChandler Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Panama Canal
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    thank you so much for the report.

regarding your doubts on the alcohol drinking allowance: it is forbidden by the law to drink in the streets.

and you are right in your guessing about the reason why alcohol (beer mainly) is banned… it’s because of COVID-19 restrictions.

soccer_23 repped this.