WCQ: March 30, 2022 - Away at Costa Rica

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Jul 10, 2021.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  3. ameeriklane

ameeriklane Member

Dec 18, 2013
    I know we're still a few months out on this, but any updates on this, like when tickets may go on sale and if the stadium will operate at full capacity?

schrutebuck repped this.
  4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm curious as well.

Costa Rica did expand capacity from 3,000 to 5,000 for its third and fourth home qualifiers in the fall (El Salvador and Honduras).

5. ameeriklane

ameeriklane Member

Dec 18, 2013
    We're now about 2 1/2 months out. Anyone heard anything?

Games in general seem to be going on there. Here's a site in CR selling tickets for the CR vs Panama WCQ game later this month.

I also see the CR vs USA game listed on the official website of the CR soccer federation, but it's lacking in details.

I'm almost wondering if I go ahead and book my flights just to get that part locked down before prices go up...

wixson7 repped this.
  6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Watching the Costa Rica-Panama match on Thursday, it looks like the stadium was absolutely packed. I think that's a good sign for fans who want to travel to the match in March.

7. mnsportsgeek

mnsportsgeek Member

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Jan 12, 2022
    wixson7 and schrutebuck repped this.
  8. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    US Soccer now lists a venue and game time.

Mar 30 2022 - 6:05PM PDT
    Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica,
    San Jose, Costa Rica

mnsportsgeek repped this.
  9. ameeriklane

ameeriklane Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Thanks for the information! Looks like tickets go on sale in a few days on specialticket.net I guess that won't be in the US supporters section though.

I'll probably book my flights tonight now that the game is on. Any suggestions of where to stay neighborhood-wise in San Jose, so I can easily walk to restaurants/bars/etc? I'll be there 3 days most likely.

10. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Budget options.

In 2016, we stayed in a private room at the Hostel Casa del Parque.

In 2009, we stayed at the Hotel Aranjuez.

11. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    I stayed in Escazú, tons of nightlife, hotels, restaurants.

ameeriklane repped this.
  12. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  13. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I think this is the link for tickets to the Costa Rica match. Ticket prices look to be up to $24.

https://www.specialticket.net/criusa.php

Does anybody know where the US supporters would be located? I'd prefer to be somewhere nearby.

14. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am nearly positive that we were in S-1 in 2016.

15. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    It was S-1 in 2013 as well. Terribly low angle and far back from the field, due to the running track curve.

16. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    so 9 eastern?

17. Brian F

Brian F New Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Feb 16, 2022
    I've never been to an away game but am interested in going to the Costa Rica game. How does it typically work with getting tickets for the US section? I see the specialticket.net link is selling tickets (though it really helps to know Spanish), but I haven't seen anything on either the US Soccer page or the American Outlaws site. I realize US Soccer isn't organizing the game, but you'd still think they'd be trying to encourage US fans to attend (or at least making them aware of how to get tickets).

18. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  19. mnsportsgeek

mnsportsgeek Member

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Jan 12, 2022
    Check your emails, Insiders. Ticket info for Costa Rica just went out. Tickets being sold first come first serve. $35 a piece.

wixson7 repped this.
  20. Brian F

Brian F New Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Feb 16, 2022
    Has anyone successfully bought tickets through specialtickets.net (which is entirely in Spanish)? It's prompting for an ID ("Cédula de la persona que Asistirá:") that's apparently 10-12 alphanumeric characters (and is required) and I have no idea what I'm supposed to enter for that. Does anyone know?

21. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Try putting in your passport number and then bring a copy with you to the stadium if they cross reference. Add some zeros if need be.

22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    From AO

We were informed by U.S. Soccer that there are tickets available in the same section as those allotted to U.S. Soccer (E27) as well as E26. You can attempt to purchase tickets directly from the Costa Rican site. Please note that the site is in Spanish and that all prices/charges are shown in Costa Rican colones, not U.S. dollars. AO has no connection to this site and we cannot help with any technical difficulties you may experience.

23. mnsportsgeek

mnsportsgeek Member

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Jan 12, 2022
    Have away allocations typically sold out as quick as they are the last couple games? Even when Canada was full capacity it sold out pretty quick.

This feels like a fairly recent trend, but maybe I am just forgetting about last cycles. Are we just getting fewer tickets allocated than before?

24. ameeriklane

ameeriklane Member

Dec 18, 2013
    I bought tickets a few days ago. I just put in my passport number and added some 0's to the end of it to meet their limit. Also choose "extranjero" (foreigner).

What tripped me up is I needed to create an account first, but after I did, it didn't have my seats still in the "cart" so I went back to the site's front page to buy them and accidentally bought 2 tickets for the Costa Rica-Canada game instead! Well it's $20/ticket so no big deal -- anyone want them? I then bought Costa Rica-USA tickets without issue. You get an email with a QR code -- hold on to that.

I'm staying in the La Sabana area, which seems to be decent in general and is somewhat close to the stadium. If anyone has Hilton hotel points, they have 2 properties (Hilton, and Hilton Garden Inn) right next to each other for 50k and 30k points/night, and they still had availability when I booked this morning.

I also used United points to fly in on Copa Air via Panama. They still have plenty of availability.