WCQ: March 24, 2022 - Away at Mexico City

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Jul 10, 2021.

1. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Helluva great time! Kudos for Sammers for running a great bus deal at just $20 each. A bit chaotic at the start but really was all smooth and efficient.

Thought the atmosphere in the away section was amazing, one of the best ever. As I said before I wouldn't trade being there for a seat anywhere else in the stadium, just my own personal preference. I'll watch the replay on TV when I get home from Orlando. I don't care how tasty the prawn sandwiches are in the special seats, I want to be standing and chanting and singing with my friends. I get it that some want the best seats possible and that's cool too.

I was really surprised the security was lighter than 2017. I bet I could have worn my belt in (nobody looked under my shirt) and probably easily got my lightweight scarf in smuggled down my pants. They had plenty of police around but they didn't cordon us off with the vehicles parked bumper to bumper in 2017.

It sucked having to hang around for 45 minutes after the game, that's how they do it in Europe for away fans too. It was better than in 2017 when we got chased out of our seats before the end of the game. Missing a late winner would have been tragic.

Mexico City was every bit as amazing as I remembered, I love that city. I'll be back with my wife and a group of friends in October for the Mexican Grand Prix and Day of the Dead festival and can't wait to get back.

Special thanks also for all the cool posters on here who took the time to share info and chat leading up to the match. We got a good community here.

NNNJJJ, Eddy714, GoalGoalUSA and 4 others repped this.
  2. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will echo this. Absolutely amazing experience for my first Azteca trip and just awesome to see the fan support.

For sure the bus setup was a bit hectic just initially at the start to get everyone their wrist bands and assigned buses but ultimately went off without a major hitch other than our bus driver (bus 14) who got in a fight with the driver of a car outside the stadium who kept brake checking us. Lol

I’m about at 70 percent voice today and wouldn’t change it for the world.

NNNJJJ, PabloSanDiego and Eddie Stiel repped this.
  3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Don't forget the cups of Ramen noodles they were selling. College days for sure.

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Yes, we were right behind you and saw the whole thing. Totally forgot about it. Your driver gets out and starts actually fighting another driver. It was insane.

NNNJJJ repped this.
  5. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    So great to see everyone. I sure hope, and assume, the players and entire stadium could hear us signing. It sure felt like it. The beers were flowing fast, amazing service and always forget how narrow and steep that upper deck is.

That 45 minute hold was brutal, actual buzz kill, but having cold beer available on the bus helped keep the party going.

So much fun guys. Can't make the next 2 games but will end this cycle for me on a super high note and amazing memories!

NNNJJJ, PabloSanDiego and mnsportsgeek repped this.
  6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Great meeting u @Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  7. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we were starting to ask around if anyone knew how to drive a bus

NNNJJJ, Dr. Gamera and PabloSanDiego repped this.
  8. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Any chance the bus driver's name was Gus?

Hamburgler03 and wixson7 repped this.
  9. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    I just finally saw the broadcast, and there are several audible occasions of "U! S! A! U! S! A!" as well as a couple rounds of "Ohhh... USA... USA! USA! USA!"

Hamburgler03, wixson7 and PabloSanDiego repped this.
  10. Eddy714

Eddy714 Member

Atlas
    Mexico
    Nov 23, 2021
    You guys were pretty loud up in that corner. I went as a Mexico supporter first time to Mexico City and Azteca and I had an amazing time at the game and sight seeing. Here’s some pics idk if you guys took the Estadio Azteca tour but it’s definitely recommended if you want to get on the field for 150 pesos.

Attached Files:

11. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. Dunno. But “Hail to the bus driver” was sung upon his return

12. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    One of my kids was all over that!

wixson7 repped this.
  13. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    There was one very specific instance late in the game where (a) the US crowd could be heard in the television broadcast and (b) the stadium announcer dude is then heard intervening on the speaker to start a "May-Hee-Co, May-Hee-Co, ...." chant. He was successful and got the crowd going, but I have to guess they were going nuts that it was necessary in the first place. Well done to all!!!!

wixson7 and Dr. Gamera repped this.
  14. mattturnersarmy

New England Revolution
    United States
    Mar 3, 2022
    Any watch parties in CDMX for US-PAN?

15. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Unable to join a watch party, but does anyone know how the game can be viewed in Mexico.... ???

16. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    blindly sharing.. haven't seen it but assume it's good/decent:

Dr. Gamera repped this.