WCQ: March 24, 2022 - Away at Mexico City

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Jul 10, 2021.

1. mnsportsgeek

mnsportsgeek Member

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Jan 12, 2022
    I wore a Man in the Mirror shirt around CDMX all day yesterday. Only comment I got was a “good luck tomorrow.” lol. There are several cities in the US I’d be more afraid of going to a game in personally.

2. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s like 22 million people here… it only takes 1 @hole to mess things up. Stay safe guys . I’m hoping for a 1-1. Everyone walks away happy

3. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    #1053 Dr. Gamera, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    I didn’t anticipate this, but maybe I should have: Hotel Galeria Plaza Reforma, where many of us seem to be staying, has COVID-19 rapid tests in the hotel for guests. 500 pesos (I initially misunderstood and thought it was 200 when I was waiting to take mine). Fast negative; email expected in two hours.

4. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! 10 bucks is a good deal.

5. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Sorry, it’s actually 25 bucks (edited to correct.)

marianelah repped this.
  6. mattturnersarmy

New England Revolution
    United States
    Mar 3, 2022
    Assuming zippers (for a quarter zip) are fine with security?

7. mnsportsgeek

mnsportsgeek Member

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Jan 12, 2022
    Got my QR code quick and easy.

For anyone staying at the Sheraton, they also have Covid tests every morning from 7:30-9:30. Just stop by concierge and bring your passport. They’ll tell you where to go. It’s about 400 pesos. Took ours today for travel tomorrow and it was painless. I’d recommend getting there ASAP in the morning as a line starts to form.

8. silicus

silicus Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Feb 26, 2008
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna catch whatever CONMEBOL/UEFA matches they are showing at The Dog House Pub before walking over to the Sammers Hotel to get ready for the bus. Maybe I'll see you there! (if there is seating) Opens at 1 PM CST. Address: Sinaloa 62, Roma Nte., Cuauhtémoc, 06700 Ciudad de México, CDMX
    Site: http://www.doghousepubmexico.com/

9. CleetusInMexico

Feb 5, 2022
    I have an extra pair for sale at face if anyone needs any. Section 307, Row A. I already have them, so no need to go to TM Will Call to pick them up.

10. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    me too, just gonna have a few. I don't want to have to piss with nowhere to go and also I don't want to get myself all dehydrated like I did in 2017 when they had no liquids whatsoever for sale in the stadium in our section.

11. mnsportsgeek

mnsportsgeek Member

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Jan 12, 2022
    The folks at the AO ticket pickup were telling people that there will be concessions available. Cash only. I didn’t ask about bathrooms, but I think the USSF tweet mentioned we’d have our own bathrooms too.

wixson7 repped this.
  12. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in 2017 we had our own restrooms and a concession stand, its just that they did not sell any drinks. Also, we had food vendors roaming our section, but again I never saw a drink vendor until 1 guy at HT. I remember the food on offer in Azteca looked really unappetizing.

13. silicus

silicus Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Feb 26, 2008
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a couple hanging out next to me that need the Tix. I have DM'd you.

marianelah repped this.
  14. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love this! :thumbsup:

15. CleetusInMexico

Feb 5, 2022
    I just sent you my phone number via the big soccer messenger. I am probably heading to game soon via Uber. Let me know asap

16. CleetusInMexico

Feb 5, 2022
    I still have an extra pair if anyone is looking. I am about to head to the stadium via Uber. This is my junk email address if someone wants to get in touch, because I will not be checking big soccer messenger: dave.walker95@gmail.com

17. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bigsoccer 4th wall being knocked down. Got to meet @wixson7 today

18. GoalGoalUSA

GoalGoalUSA Member

Apr 15, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be safe, be loud!

19. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a lot of fun. Will have no voice tomorrow

GoalGoalUSA repped this.
  20. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have been 2-0 at halftime. But ok with the point. Great time folks… onto Orlando !

21. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Because it was a matter of dispute in this thread, here’s my experience with sneaking into the USA fan section…

Buy ticket in Ticketmaster general sale. Go to Estadio Azteca. Go up to the people checking tickets at what’s marked as Ramp 5. Try to talk my way in. When asked if I was with a group, answer “no” because it’s really hard for me to lie. Get directed toward Tunnel 11. Head toward Tunnel 11. See riot police and a mob of USA fans. No obstacle to peaceably joining USA fans. Pass through separate men/women security screening. Go to section. See one friendly but overwhelmed stadium worker checking tickets for the 522 section. Quietly glide by as she’s talking to another couple. Get picture with Eaglefan and Wonder Woman. Head up to the nearly empty 622 section. Watch us earn a point in Azteca!

NNNJJJ, PabloSanDiego, wixson7 and 4 others repped this.
  22. mnsportsgeek

mnsportsgeek Member

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Jan 12, 2022
    I thought gameday went about as smoothly as possible. Kudos to everyone involved from AO, USSF, Sammers, and the FMF that made it happen. Great experience and a good result. 99% of El Tri fans I saw were really supportive of the away support, and the 1% that weren’t just had friendly jeers. Extremely welcoming and safe environment overall from the city to the stadium.

I hope to be back someday, but if that was the last meaningful Azteca match then it was a good one to go out on. Safe travels to those flying home, Costa Rica and/or Orlando.

23. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Sorry, Eagleman, misspelled your sobriquet!

Attached Files:

24. hoys

hoys Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concession offerings in the away section were GREAT. Beer, any sort of drink, chips and salsa, popcorn, pizza, fruit, doughnuts, sparkling princess wand toys, and more. Top notch menu.

FWIW, metro to and from was effortless. No problems whatsoever.

NNNJJJ, soccer_23, wixson7 and 5 others repped this.
  25. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder