WCQ: Ireland Vs Portugal Nov 11 (thurs)

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by prodigal_mind, Nov 6, 2021.

1. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What’s the point of qualifying when you can’t beat Ireland?

2. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Yes but we did play like crap. Not just a couple players . Quite a few were flat and without creativity

3. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not a good game but we only need a draw now at Home.

MOTM ?

4. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    We are junk.
    Serbia is going to cuck us on Sunday.

5. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You do talk a lot of pony trekking

6. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Since Euro 16

wc 2018: one win against Morocco
    Euro 2020: one win against Hungary

8 games. 2 wins in the last two major tournaments. Open the door and let that sink in

ScpBoy77 and The Zeta Variant repped this.
  7. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Guys forget about the World Cup. We will still likely qualify even if it’s a playoff, but I suggest you focus on Christmas shopping next December 2022. This team isn’t going anywhere. Santos is TRASH

8. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    It happens. Spain needed a PK to beat Greece 1-0 . Ronaldo had three chances to score today but didn’t . I’m more comceremed at how flat we were especially in the midfield . Bruno was trash for example

9. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Waste of time.

One of the worst performances in recent memory, it's so obvious Santos and his time has come to an end, but we're stubbornly moving forward playing shit footy.

Paposeco repped this.
  10. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I totally agree we should beat this kind of team always but with that logic Germany should stay home for not beating North Macedonia, Italy for drawing Bulgaria and Spain for losing to Sweden.

11. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    I Hope that Serbia beats us on Sunday and we lose in the playoffs. Only way Santos will go.

12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    And England drawing with Hungary

13. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Santos brought in Leao at half time and took him out 30 minutes later. That’s the sign of a terrible coach and a terribly managed team.

ScpBoy77 repped this.
  14. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Well Leao should have started to begin with. This coach is simply too stupid but even with his dumb decisions, there was plenty of talent on the field to beat Ireland. Some of the blame has to be placed on our players too

15. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Let’s also remember in euro 2016 we drew all three group games. It’s not like Santos knew what he was doing. His tactics were shit from the start. It was only after the groups when he decided to play the sporting midfield and Sanches (William Joao Mario Adrien and Sanches) that Portugal became cohesive and balanced.

16. Tonel

Tonel Member

Sporting
    Aug 22, 2021
    With Germany getting ride of Joachim Low and looking like a well oiled machine again, it looks like Portugal is left as the struggling NT in Europe who clings on their past their "prime" old coach who's barely treading water anymore with these tactics.

17. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Glad I missed this game

18. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    if we don’t get cucked on Sunday we are in for being cucked in the playoffs or in the early rounds of Qatar world
    Cup.

19. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    No way, really?! We couldn't tell by your incessant whining about it.

20. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    "What's the point of qualifying when you can't beat Luxembourg?"

France drew Luxembourg 0-0 on home soil late in 2018 WC Qualifying, putting their direct qualification in jeopardy (just a one-point lead atop the group heading into the final international break).

I've been tired of this type of Portugal performance for a while now, but are we really going to pretend that making the World Cup doesn't matter, or that we always know who is going to play well at a tournament a year out?

verde-rubro repped this.
  21. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #71 Kamtedrejt, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    No hate guys but I have Serbia beating you guys in Lisbon on Sunday. Ronaldo and Co. will find their way to Qatar via the playoffs.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  22. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Cool story, bro

23. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Serbia is dangerous and playing well, but I've seen Portugal in this type of situation too much over the years and they always show their class with their back against the wall at the end of qualifying.

I expect Serbia to join the ranks of Switzerland, Sweden and Bosnia (twice) who couldn't overcome Portugal in this scenario during the Ronaldo era.

24. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    That's true. I made this call after having watched the rebroadcast of yesterday's game and I also believe that Pepe's absence will cause problems. Serbia have nothing to lose. They can play without too much pressure. Knowing the Balkan mentality very well teams thrive often in those type of situations.
    Anyway, it will be a very interesting game.
    Regardless of the result I believe we'll see both teams in Qatar next year.

25. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    It will be a tough game but I feel you are overestimating Pepes importance. Jose Fonte and Ruben Dias is a strong CB partnership.

I also read that Bernardo Silva will be available. He is currently the best Portuguese player based on form. Him and Cancelo starting will make a big difference to our game.

Even if Portugal wins we will get stomped in the round of 16 in Qatar. Probably by Flicks Germany 7-1 or something.

I will be cheering for Serbia on Sunday. They deserve it more than we do and our team is just going to embarrass us in Qatar.