PBP: WCQ: Finland vs. Germany [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Projekt4, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Do you mean Pasanen is a bad player?
    If so you have no clue of football.

2. Sampe

Sampe New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Yeah, Pasanen is actually one of Finland's better players. There's nothing wrong with him playing CB, either, since it's been his preferred position for the vast majority of his career, even if he usually plays RB these days (and would have played there yesterday had Hannu Tihinen been healthy).

Oh, and he outplayed Hyypiä yesterday IMHO.

3. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    he might have been, but it wouldnt have been clear before the game to go as far as dropping fritz

4. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LOL...just watched a bit of Löw's interview on ZDF. Löw says it was a "great football match", Kerner (TV commentator) reminds him that if a match ends 3-3 coaches tend to say that's not a great match as it must have been full of mistakes.......point is, Kerner is outcoaching Löw these days.:rolleyes:

5. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? You keep making vague suggestions, but not backing anything up.

Hinkel is a past German international. He only got dropped because he made a bad move to Sevilla.

I'd f#cking bet money that he's better than Fritz.

6. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that last night. Before he responded, Löw looked like he wanted to hit Kerner. LOL!! :D

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree with this comment.

8. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    because they're made on vague observations...but i'll try here to

He is a past german international who hasnt been in the team for a good while so unlike dropping hitzlsperger and moving pig to the centre, Loew isn't as sure about what hinkel can contribute in place of fritz.

9. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, Hinkel was only dropped because he made a bad move to Sevilla. Hinkel didn't lose any of his talent, Hinkel was penalized for playing behind the man who many feel is the top right back in the world in Daniel Alves.

If Löw would do his f#cking job and go watch Hinkel play for Celtic, he'd know what Hinkel can do.

Then again, I'm sure Löw at least watched tapes of Hinkel playing and called him up.

But we saw in Löw's selection for the Euro 2008 Tournament, he doesn't have any courage in selecting his lineup.

Only afterwards did he see he made a mistake in not taking at least Jones and Helmes. I don't include Marin there because you can see from Trochowski's play now that he deserved to be there.

Löw just didn't have the f#cking balls to use him!

Unlike you, I will not be vague.

I'll tell you right now what disturbs me about Joachim Löw. He reminds me too much of Vogts and Ribbeck. He doesn't seem to have the courage to make changes and bring in necessary players because he's afraid of what the media will do to him if he loses a match while trying to integrate new players in. And like Vogts and Ribbeck, Löw seems to only give chances to the players the press calls for.

I think this is the case with Tasci. Why hasn't Löw tried Hummels or Hoewedes or even mentioned their names??

In my opinion, it's because the press called for Tasci. Yeah, I know I'm pissing off Stuttgart fans, but I don't f#cking care. From what I've seen of him so far, while he is a good player, Tasci is still mostly "potential" and not "finished product."

And it showed last night.

This is why I don't fully blame Westermann for last night. How much of it was Westermann's support not being where it needed to be??

I think that was the case on the second one and I blame Tasci more for the third.

But even with some of the press this morning, Tasci got a bit of a break because of his age.

I think that's f#cking bullshit. If you put the shirt on, you need to be able to perform to standard no matter how old you are.

But again, if Löw is doing his job and actually taking an unbiased look at these players instead of possibly being influenced by the press, he would have known that Tasci isn't quite ready and he would definitely f#cking know what Andreas Hinkel can do.

I think Löw has to know Hinkel is better than Fritz. Fritz is just one of "Löw's Guys" and I don't think Löw had any real intention of starting Hinkel last night.

I think he called up Hinkel because the German press called his name some weeks ago......

Don't get me wrong. I'm not calling for Löw's head. No way. However, Löw does need to grow some balls and do his own thing. It's like he's afraid of pissing off the German press.

One of the things I admired about Klinsmann was that he didn't care who he pissed off. He was going to do his thing and he was confident it was going to work.

And it did. Löw seems to be afraid of where he steps. And if he doesn't watch it, he's going to lose control. He won't even know it. Just like Vogts didn't and Ribbeck did, but tried to do the job anyhow.

Some of you will think I'm nuts. Fine. But that's how I feel. :)

10. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You should become coach :). My only doubt was that Hinkel after being out so long might not be able to contribute against Finland more than Fritz, but then again he has to start with one match and do better the next doesn't he. It's not the best thing to put him out there first time against Russia. Very good analysis and I have to say it all makes sense, even with my limited exposure to the scene in Germany and Europe these days.

11. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "You must spread reputation around before giving it to footyfan1 again."

I agree 100% on all points ff1. Very well said.

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    just did it for both of us!

13. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What part of NY are you in squid?

14. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    morrisville...1 hour east of syracuse

15. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The press wanted to see Klose benched. Most fans wanted, too.

Regarding the group of players which you perhaps are quite right to call "Löw's Guys", it'll be interesting to see what happens when more options become available again, with Ballack, Frings and Jones instead of Rolfes&Hitzlsperger mainly. Those two and Fritz I'd mainly consider Löw's Guys.

Re: Tasci, I think the point here was to take him out of the limbo between Turkey and Germany but then to give him a genuine chance right away (until he'd fail a test) rather than just cap him once and then only consider him a long-term prospect.

Anyway, IMO Westermann failed more evidently (and predictably), but with Friedrich&Mertesacker unavailable and Metzelder on the bench, what can you do.

16. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In this particular instance I think it was easier to keep him in than drop him despite what the press said, because he is after all Miroslav Klose. Loew has insurance either way - if he fails he can just point to his past record. It's not a "risk" like many moves Klinsmann made or the other moves Loew could have made.

17. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thats cool, my family has a summer cottage in Wanakena(about 130miles north of morrisville).

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My wife and I have a summer place on Sandy Pond between Syracus and Watertown!!

19. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My best friend and I are going on a 2-week roadtrip up the east coast ending in Wanakena next summer. Never been to Sandy Pond, is it nice?

20. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it's a little bit surreal living in a tiny town, where if you travel out of you see other small towns and a lot of amazing countryside. I've been a city guy all my life. "Ironic" that I had to come to america to experience living in the countryside.

Wanakena must be on the border then?

which way do you have to go from syracuse to get to watertown?

21. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Its very near the border with Canada.

North on I-81.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Summers are beautiful. Off of Lake Ontario with white sandy beaches, warm water...great for boating, tubing and water skiing jet skiing or just hanging out and relaxing with a terrific view! It is so peaceful. My mother in law's place is right on the water, we are are across the street but have a great view of sunsets on the water from our deck.

I-81 North. When you landed in Syracuse, you would go in the opposit direction. The exit is in the town of Pulaski.

let's get this back on topic...Sabastian Kehl? Anyone??

23. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    of course...once he stays healthier for a little longer.

24. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What about Mats Hummels or Hoewedes? Either one of them would be an improvement over Tasci IMHO.

25. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Höwedes will probably mostly sit on the bench for yet another year.

Hummels will be irrelevant to the next World Cup if he goes back to Bayern (assuming Lucio and Demichelis stay around)...
    Should he be loaned out to Dortmund for another year (only wishful thinking...), I'd like to see him in the senior team some time in 2008.