WCQ: Deutschland v. Aserbaidschan 9/9/09 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by deleted, Sep 6, 2009.

1. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: WCQ: Deutschland v. Aserbaidschan 9/9/09

I meant anything but a clear win. I don't even want to think about a draw, or heaven forbid, losing the match. That would be a disgrace of epic proportions.

2. Völler's Mustache

Aug 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Love it...fourthed.

3. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think the only possibility of seeing Schweinsteiger play centrally would be during a tactical scenario mid-game, bringing on a more attacking player while dropping him deep to cover defensively.

4. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    15.000 tickets still left. Seems like not a whole lot of people are willing to spent 80Euros on a ticket against Aserbaidschan.

5. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't blame them.

I'd buy it though if I were there...just to see Mesut. :D

6. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Post of the day, I agree 100% with you

7. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    adler doesn't look neurotic enough :p

8. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    According to McBerti, the brave guests are going to play very offensively. That means that we'll hopefully enjoy a lot of goals...;)

Btw: DFB complains about the fact that only 29,000 tix have been sold so far. Well, when I remember the ticket prizes for the game "Germany vs San Marino" (qualifier for the EURO 2008) in Nuremberg ... I don't wonder that many people aren't that keen on attending a match against a minnow.

9. c3011

c3011 Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Ohio
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know if this game will be shown on TV in the USA?

10. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So Adler will start tomorrow, as Löw confirms. Another convincing performance and I think he'll be the new #1. He'll very likely start against Russia then, the biggest match of the year. Whoever starts in that match will be the new #1.

11. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    GOLTV will have it on delay at 4:45 PM EST

12. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  13. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow. Would be shocked to see Khedira start. Surprised to see Schweini is still starting but thats not a bad thing for me being a fanboy;):D

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Troch over Marin makes sense. Marin could be a great super sub coming in with 20 minutes to go...unless he picks Poldi to come in and Klose for Mario Gomez.

15. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nah i think marin should be integrated permanently, especially against aserbaidschan

16. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wouldn't start Schweini either, especially not on the wing. Marin started well against SA, but disappeared later on and didn't have a good match either. Schweini was heavily criticised by the press in the past few days, guess Löw wants to show him support and give him a chance to redeem himself.

But it's just what BILD thinks the starting lineup will look like, things could look different tomorrow.

17. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    um but schweini shouldnt get this preferential treatment, he's not a german legend (yet;)) I think unless he plays alongside ballack i'd rather see podolski or marin in the advanced position

18. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Crap formation, Trochowski is just average and the other should be played in the middle or in the bench. Even though it's bad, it's still better than Loew's previous formations.

19. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wouldn't call it crap, seriously. Marin would have needed a really good match against SA to start tomorrow, and he didn't, far from it. I think it's only fair for Trochowski to get a chance now. As Cris said, Marin can be a sub later in the game, run rings around the Azerbaijan defence when they are tired (usually after 60').

But let's wait and see how the starting lineup will actually look like tomorrow.

20. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    If Trochowski and Schweinsteiger are the two players on the flanks, i'd rather not to play in a 4-3-3

Trochowski is not average at all. I think he is at least decent with great long shots n set-pieces, but i think he is more of a AM (Ozil's position) since he doesn't cant take on defenders and make spaces.

With only one real center forward up front, it is important that the supporting forwards/wingers can use their pace/technique to create spaces like Messi, C.Ronaldo, Arshavin and Robben do.

Schweini and Trochowski as the RW and LW in a 4-3-3 is very wrong. Both are rigid, especially Schweini. Too slow n not mobile enough
    Either two of Podolski, Marin and Oezil can be the 2 supporting forwards as they all possess pace n technique. Holtby, Nsereko,Thomas Mueller and Terrazzino are players of these positions for the future

One reminder for Loew: Schwein is a CM and Trochowski is an AM.

21. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Trochowski and Schweinsteiger are both not real wingers, that's of course true. But with both playing on the flanks, the system is more of a 4-2-3-1 than a 'classical' 4-3-3 anyway, with a lot of positional changes between the attacking midfield trio (hopefully). It's more compact, probably not necessary against the Azerbaijans of this world, but definitely an option against stronger teams. Holland played a similar system at last year's Euros, with Sneijder, VDV and RVP behind Van Nistelrooy, and neither of those players is a winger either. A 4-2-3-1 system can be especially effective if you need a result and follow a counter attacking strategy.

With Marin and Poldi on the wings, there is more genuine width, the system is considerably more attacking, too. This has advantages and disadvantages, depending on the team we are facing.

So we should actually be glad about this flexibility in our squad. Schweini and Trochowski, just like Poldi and Marin, give us different options, different tools. And that's always a positive thing.

22. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Podolski should at least be starting over Trochowski, it's embarrassing watching bad players try so hard and fail.. especially when they play for Germany. Podolski is much better player but like we all know he is an emo, he needs to start to get confidence from the coach and let him get used to the formation.

23. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Its a different thing. RVP and Sneijder are mobile, and both have high work-rate, unlike Schwein. And both can take on defenders if needed. They are the type of players that can create space for Ruud Van Nistelrooy or Huntelaar.

With only one center forward, u'll need to create space for them. Being mobile and making runs and movements quickly is going to be important. Or else the one striker formation can even be a set back as Gomez may have to fight on his own.

And for 4-3-3, i think Thomas Mueller is the perfect candidate at the Right Wing/Right supporting forward position. Marin, Oezil, Podolski, Holtby and Nsereko are way more effective on the left side, especially Marin, Poldi and Holtby

Trochowski is not bad. A solid BL player imo, good set-pieces, long shots and high work-rate. Can be used as a midfield powerhouse. At the right position, he can be useful. I am not his fan or advocate, but i think he, along with Hitzlsperger, are hated by the fans. I dunno where this hatred comes from.

Did he kick your dog or something?

24. Völler's Mustache

Aug 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really like the formation and the starters, except for Trochowski. I love Piotr, as I'm an HSV fsupporter, however, I believe we are better suited with Poldi on the left flank.

25. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sneijder can beat his man? :D Schweini is mobile, he is just not the fastest player around. And he does have a good work rate usually, especially defensively.

Schweinsteiger can be excellent in a 4-2-3-1, as he proved repeatedly last year (Euro 2008). Did you miss the knock-out stages or something? His major problem is his inconsistency and his attitude, he basically always needs a kick in the arse to perform.
    Trochowski is a similar player, not the most consistent either. Both believe themselves to be 'great players' already and totally lack some critical self-reflection, basically the opposite of Klose.

But with all their faults, they can still help the national team, still be an option, as explained already.