WCQ 2022 - Uruguay vs Colombia (October 7th)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by HomietheClown, Sep 29, 2021.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It always feels like going into a dark, dreary dungeon of horrors when we go to Uruguay.
    Lot's of bad vibes and bad memories and goals against us.

I hope we steal a point. I would be very happy with that actually.
    A win would surprise me but stranger things have happened.

This match will tell us a lot about Rueda, his mentality and tactics.

ColombianKilla and Furnaccio repped this.
  2. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Did we beat them in Montevideo with El Tigre Castillo's goal or was that in Bogota? That's the last time I remember winning there except maybe Rada dunked on them in his prime?

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That was Bogota.

4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm getting old... I totally thought that was Montevideo.

Oh Jairo. You were so good until you ruined your life in that car accident...

kromekote and HomietheClown repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am trying to think of a new lineup that Rueda may try out in this one. Here is one I think might be interesting:

-------------------Ospina---------------

Medina----Mina----Davinson------Tesillo

------------------Barrios------Uribe---------------

----Cuadrado-------------------------Diaz----------
    ------------------Roger-----Duvan----------------

6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That's a very sensible line up. I'd imagine Falcao or Borré starting beside one of those two IF Borja is rested for the home games.

I could also easily see Borja starting as he has the least travel to Montevideo and is the incumbent.

HomietheClown repped this.
  7. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Doubt Rueda would do it but wouldn't mind something like this:

Cuadrado----Mina----Davinson------Tesillo

---------Munoz---------Barrios------Uribe---------------

----Sinisterra-------------------------Diaz----------
    -----------------------Duvan----------------

Munoz and Uribe get to roam in midfield and Munoz and Cuadrado can take turns switching, if Cuadrado gets forward Munoz can easily slide into RB and Cuadrado can slide into midfield, having those two gives us good flexibility. Can also switch out Sinisterra for Quintero or Roger. Think this gives us a better chance to be compact and hold some possession taking out one forward for Munoz, but also giving Cuadrado a lot of freedom if needed.

Furnaccio and HomietheClown repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Would love to see Sinisterra and Diaz out there and making Uruguay suffer with their speed on counters. Could be something Rueda is pondering.

9. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

That line-up would make sense to me. Although I can see Lerma for Uribe so you have a more physical defensive MF and Borre for Roger, so you put lots of pressure upfront.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I would like to see the Lerma with Barrios combo contrary to popular opinion around here.

Santos Borre played well for the most part against Uruguay in the Copa but seemed to look a bit drained early in the second half. I think I rather just start him against Ecuador if I had to start him in one of the three matches.

11. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  12. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I'm just hoping Suarez plays as he did in Copa. He seems to be in solid form.

Besides the obvious points, both this match and the Ecuador match have a particular dog fight to be won because of the WCQ humiliating results from last year. This was last year's set up vs Uruguay. Glad Murillo isn't even on the call up. Total liability although Mina had a horrible game as well.

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 5.37.55 PM.png

13. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The thing is that we fielded a strong team. It's absurd that unit played THAT poorly.

That Nandez is dangerous. The idea of putting Mojica there against him again is scary to me. For the first time I can remember I think we should start Tesillo at LB.

kromekote repped this.
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They played poorly cause they kept on missing opportunities with weak shots. James even made some dumb decisions and lost the ball way too easily at times.

And Uruguay just did not forgive on their chances when our back line made mistakes.
    Certainly Mina's worst game but more of an outlier performance. Jeison and Mojica usually are that bad unfortunately and Cuadrado should not have played RB that day as an experiment by Queiroz.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes and even though Cavani seems to be getting back his form at ManU he always seems to play well against us. And that Darwin Nunez guy who scored against us plays very well at Benfica.

Defensively though Godin is looking his age. At least from the match I saw recently against Napoli. Just looked really slow to react and even caused a penalty.
    I hope he plays like that against us and our forwards can keep him on his toes with direct attacks.

kromekote repped this.
  16. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I'd actually like us to use Cuesta in this game over Davinson, Uruguay don't want to dominate possession and want to really win possession high up the field and press our guys into mistakes, Cuesta is better on the ball so I think its a good spot to use him makes sense to use Cuellar too maybe beside Barrios. Don't want to see Lerma in this game, I think Rueda had the right idea going with a lot of attackers, but guys who will also work hard to match Uruguay's work rate. Maybe not as attacking in Uruguay and I would be really careful how I use Cuadrado, he loves to hold the ball and Uruguay are like hungry Piranhha's to players like Cuadrado who try to dribble in risky areas. I think ideally we don't need a ton of possession in this game, let Uruguay try to break us down with their midfield, as long as we stifle Cavani and Suarez I think we'll be ok.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I alluded to this in other threads but I am not sure Cuesta can play Left CB. If he can then I would not mind seeing it happen but against Uruguay or Brasil it may be a bit risky this soon in his career.
    Davinson has played it for us for many years now and has built a chemistry with Tesillo the majority of this cycle.
    Sure, they will try to high press him into mistakes but he was able to handle it in the Copa America. I am hoping he can do it once again.

18. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah he might not, would like to see him try Lucemi if that's the case. I think Sanchez is probably fine and he'll likely use him which isn't a catastrophe but he really is poor with the ball at his feet and he should definitely play against Brazil. Uruguay killed us with their organization and winning the ball from our mistakes, two really confident on the ball CB's will help in that game.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe Mina can drift towards the left as he sometimes does for Everton. (At least what I saw early on in his career there.) so that Cuesta can play.
    I just have a feeling we will just go with the guys who have started most of the official matches this cycle: Medina--Mina-Davinson-Tesillo.
    Or as you say the 4 CB back line.

20. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah I think the most likely is the usual 4, maybe Munoz instead of Medina but with so many games in a short period its so much easier to rotate and prioritize tactics for each game. But rotating your back 4 is usually the least likely rotation and for good reasons but would be nice to see Cuesta rewarded and keep us as fresh as possible without being too aggressive with changes.

21. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    First lineup I heard

Medina---Mina---Sanchéz---Tesillo
    ------------------Barrios------------
    JGC----Uribe----Balanta----Diaz
    ------------------DuZa

Furnaccio and HomietheClown repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Way too defensive but interesting.

23. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Interesting lineup.

I would think we’ll get Borre instead of balanta.

The subs is what worries me.

I guess Yerson Cándelo will get some minutes in the first game bc that seems to be Rueda’s MO - play a guy from Nacional over Roger and Sinister LOL

What’s the story with Cándelo? 29 year old winger…

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Candelo is just a mediocre winger and mediocre RB option.
    Not sure he would get any playing time in a crucial match like this but Rueda has surprised me before.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Here is a lineup that supposedly was tried out in the last training:

Medina----Mina----Davinson------Tesillo
    ------------------Barrios------Uribe---------------
    ----Cuadrado------JuanFer--------Diaz----------
    ---------------------Falcao----------------