WCQ 2022 - Peru vs Colombia (June 3rd 2021)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by HomietheClown, Jun 2, 2021.

1. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Cuellar was really good, really nice surprise because we need his profile and Rueda is sharp, Cuellar's long range passing and distribution was really good and with this lineup you need that. We got lucky on the red and the first goal but the biggest difference was how we were pressing from the front, CQ set us up terribly for that and the midfield and forwards are all really good pressing. Diaz and Cuadrado with Muriel and Zapata are all really good at defending high up the field and harassing teams, without James falling into that is our best bet and Rueda will need time to organize more but you could see that he wanted us pressing from the get go and playing like that really fits our squad and is necessary to reach our true potential.

I think we're really lucky CQ blew up and we got Rueda, he's a good manager and he will give us a much better chance at being a very good team, looking forward to seeing if he can do it over the next couple years.

2. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Great result, odd game! We had several starters look off in the first half but a couple of them scored goals to compensate and we got a comfortable win.

Ospina - 7 - Never really challenged. I thought he played with authority. Only made one mistake all game coming out of his box.

Tesillo - 4 - So afraid to pass forward. Even to centre midfield! Always passing back. Drove me crazy.

Mina - 8 - Shut down everything and when we needed the goal to chill everyone out and cover the jitters there he was. For me, the real emotional leader of this team.

Davinson - 7 - No brain farts today. Fouled the crap out of Guerrero and didn't let him establish a rhythm.

Medina - 5 - Fine but got in C4s way a bunch in the first half, they seemed to space better in the second.

Uribe - 6 - Give him two extra points for the goal, but he was a total passenger otherwise.

Cuellar - 7 - Clean, one touch football and I liked his heat checks to the strikers. Got very tired at end of game and humorously struggled to foul his guy on a breakaway.

Diaz - 6 - Didn't look himself and his first touch was poor resulting in defenders able to close him down and inability to use his pace. Great goal to compensate.

C4 - 9 - MOTM. He was his Juve version, beating guys when he wanted, huge volume of play and once Medina got the message, got forward and created havoc.

Muriel - 7 - Played with urgency. Clearly a step of quality above the competition and they didn't know what to do when he ran at them. I want to see that kind of personality against Argentina.

Duvan - 7 - Won on the flank several times to create danger and is just such a beast with his back to a defender. Say this all the time, but he's improved so much as a player. He and Muriel need to be sharp to beat Martinez on Tuesday.

Subs:

"Yairo" - 6 - Came on well and took advantage of the space with fewer men in the field. Thought he was more effective than Diaz on the night.

Borja - 6 - Solid. I didn't remember him being so athletic.

Borre - 5 - Played very deep and looked nervous. Hope he gets more minutes to get comfortable.

Wilmar - 5 - Unusually sloppy on a couple of touches, which I never see from him. He has to get himself ready for war on Tuesday.

Munoz - 10 - What a legend. Never seen a player tossed for a play where they got the ball first and struck a cross cleanly before getting run into by a defender...but first time for everything.

dapip, Furnaccio and crzdcolombian repped this.
  3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Barrios was invisible....

I find it tough to rate Borre. He was playing the Falcao under Bolillo role. Hey run to mf steal the ball then try to do something.

At that point we didn't have a mf and made too many subs like it was a friendly.

I was impressed with Borja's hold up play. Think if he was in there with Muriel or Zapata he would get a nice assist or goal.

I actually liked tesillo he was good going forward just that side of the team was too green. He would be wide open from a run and no one would pass him the ball.

Other than that I agree with your ratings but Perus coach gets a F- for today. I don't get his game plan.

Ref gets a -9,000

4. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    To be fair, Messi was red carded 1-2 minutes into his NT debut too. So Muñoz has that going for him, which is nice

Froboy69 repped this.
  6. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Imagine lol.

7. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Furnaccio repped this.
  8. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Guarin was as well

Furnaccio repped this.
  9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Guys, keep your cool. Peru is probably the weakest Conmebol team at this point, and the timing of the red card helped us. Not to say that I didn't see a way better team than under Queiroz, but I think that Rueda got an easy first test.

While Cuadrado had a great second half, I was starting to get frustrated with him until the first goal, because he was holding too much on to the ball and going for the foul, which under a referee like Sampaio was not always a given (terrible, terrible officiating BTW). Once the space opened, he could direct the ship and set up the rhythm for the whole team.

Ospina had a tranquil game, with only a couple of interventions. The defense was solid, but you can tell that our LB and RB are not natural, although Medina is more used to that role and had a great assist.

Cuellar was brilliant, and I liked how he kept the ball moving right after winning it back. Uribe was meh, except for the goal. Diaz struggled with his control, but his pace change and twisting are fun to watch and he creates havoc.

Zapata really makes defenders work and they pay a price. Muriel needs a bit more of pace and space to be as successful as with Atalanta, and I think he overlaps a bit too much with Diaz, so I would like to see him as super sub, with either Borre or Borja starting against Argentina.

I'm not going to comment much on the subs, except that Borja has always looked to me as if he could be world class if he had better finishing. He's strong, fast, good with and without the ball and has power and speed, but his shots are not accurate enough.

10. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  11. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    where the hell did that yairo guy come from. Goes to show how limited are options are for full backs that we keep bringing this yairo dude everywhere.

how much longer until Arias is healed?

12. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Like Peru performance was shocking….

like playing fifa on the easiest level with all the computers performance functions turned to 0

like they didn’t attack, defend… or even attempt to win.

the red didn’t hurt them

like they came out very well the 2nd half and then got countered and it was game over.

borre got kicked in the fking face and not even a yellow!!! I am still mind blown by The red card

the Argentina PK was equally bad. It looked like a Lautaro foul that almost broke the Chileans leg…

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #138 HomietheClown, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    That was fun last night.
    Rueda had us playing like Colombia again but still with some European style variants.

My biggest take aways:

1) Duvan drifting towards the right most of the night was surprising to me yet VERY effective. I have seen him go out to the wings a lot for Atalanta so it was nice to see him do it for the Seleccion and be successful. Peru really had no answer.

2) Cuadrado played one of his best games since Poland in the WC 2018. He played all 90 minutes like he was not tired at all.
    Finally happy to see him translate his game from Juve to the yellow shirt.

3) I smiled when I saw Cuellar over Barrios. Ryu called it a few days ago that he may start. It turned out to be a great decision and as has been pointed out he was the main man for Rueda at Flamengo so he knew what to do tactically.

4)Muriel was hustling and hustling and hustling. He was filled with sweat on his face most of the game. Shame he did not score but he was really active out there.

5)I have said it a million times but I think Medina should start at RB even if Arias is healthy. He is one of the best crossers I have ever seen play for Colombia. And we have guys who can head the ball in the area and take advantage of this atribute.

6) Tesillo was not bad but he was not good either. He is obviously the weak link on the team. Yairo did not do much better but it was only his first game at the position at this level.

7)Diaz to me was okay. The goal was really nice though and he brought a bit more speed than James on the wing. One of the good things Queiroz did for this squad was bringing this kid in.
    Another thing Queiroz did was have us play many games without James so it was not that traumatizing to not see him on the field.

A has been mentioned by Dapip Peru was horrible. They probably are the worst team in South America.
    But hey, it was still 3 points on the road and it got some of the bad taste of the last couple of losses out of our mouths.

On to Argentina.

dapip, krass and Furnaccio repped this.
  14. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I have to say that I wasn't impressed with cuadrado... His second half was better but his decision making is lacking.. he gave all the effort yesterday but made some poor decisions on the way. I think he had an improved game of course, but it wasn't MOTM for me.

Cuellar played very well and was almost perfect on his role as a recovery player. Tesillo was the weakest link yesterday. Uribe was invisible, but I guess he was because of his role.... I want to see him in a more attacking position.

I know Peru wasn't the best of tests but I did see a better game from Colombia. With Queiroz we would have a worse game. If we have a tie with Argentina I would be pleased with Rueda so far. A Win would result in masturbation :p

Furnaccio, dapip and krass repped this.
  15. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I’m not going to nitpick too much here, but I’m very happy we got 3 points, a clean sheet and 3 goals to help recover our goal difference in Rueda’s first game

Didn’t this same peru team beat Chile and Uruguay to make it to the 219 CA final??

Happy with the starting lineup and how we scrapped out that first goal.

Tesillo seemed off and I was nervous peru was going to take advantage of him after he got skinned early in the game. He had some decent chip passes into the box from time to time.

Medina, who I typically give a hard time, had a beautiful cross for that uribe goal.

GC was solid. I felt he did the right stuff to help him cement a recurring role for this 2022 cycle.

Felt bad for Muñoz - but I guess the refs were paid off by CRZD so we would be forced to play with 3 defenders ;)

Argentina is beatable! Let’s goooo!!!

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #141 HomietheClown, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    He kept the ball and got under their skin with his technique. They kept on chopping his legs and fouling him because he knew how to keep possession and cool the tempo from getting too high which is conversely what Peru wanted to do.
    To the point they got their red card due to his play and their frustration.

Sure, he could have had better passes and decisions but he played a lot better than I was expecting him to play.

RafaLarios repped this.
  17. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Forgot to add this...

IMG_8829.jpg

dapip, RafaLarios and sidspaceman repped this.
  18. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    It's the same team but that was 2 years ago and our squad was already aging. Guerrero came off a 10 month injury at 38 and got rushed back. A lot of the players haven't been the same since. Advincula is a pretty bad RB now, Cueva moved to a Saudi club that isn't Al-Hilal, Ramos and Corzo are beyond finished and in the Peruvian league at the moment, and Yotun is a sub at Cruz Azul today.

Of the ones that started yesterday, the only players I'd keep without a debate are Tapia, Trauco, Abram, and Carrillo because they are still doing well and are evolving further at club level. The rest either has a case of needs a recambio.

I'd agree with a certain someone in here who said we're probably the weakest CONMEBOL team, and personally I'm most annoyed at how we have the potential to not be that. Gareca just wants to try the formula that used to work and doesn't anymore.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Enjoy the victory hermanos.

19. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Thanks for the detailed feedback. Hope you guys can turn things around....just not at our expense ;)

sidspaceman repped this.
  20. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not to sound like CRZD, but there is so much parity in SA these days ANYONE is beatable.

On paper, we should actually be one of the stronger sides, we just been played like complete morons in the second set of fixtures.

Will say this - watching Ecuador and Brasil - this game is being played at twice the pace of what we did last night and the press is so much more aggressive. We are fully capable of beating that kind of press but need to be much sharper against Argentina and when we go to extract revenge on Ecuador too.

Lastly, how does Richarlison start for Brasil after the way he finished the season at Everton? On relative terms I'd take our strikers over there's...and that's a wild realization given where we are in the table.

crzdcolombian and Furnaccio repped this.
  21. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Brazil is loyal to their players to a fault. When I used to watch all their games under Dunga during the 2010 run, they would regularly go with players like Robinho, Felipe Melo and Elano no matter what their club form was like. They had a core lineup and stuck to it. It’s also why they struggled in 2014 World Cup. If someone does well in a copa America or confed cup, Brazil will reward him with more starting appearances no matter the club form

22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It's interesting if that tendency would last across DTs. I personally think Tite has done a solid job getting their performances so consistent since taking the job.

Furnaccio repped this.
  23. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I didn't get to see the game live, and pretty much everything I thought has been mentioned, but I just want to reiterate how great Cuellar was.

He had some very timely interventions and immediately kept the ball moving everytime he got it. While he snuck in some beautiful forward passes, he never abused it and played simple when the play demanded it.

I love Barrios with all of my heart, but Cuellar gives us a different look. I'm not 100% confident they can play together--Cuellar will have to adjust a bit--but it's great to have 3 defensive midfielders with totally different characteristics (Lerma being the 3rd.)

dapip, RafaLarios and Furnaccio repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #149 HomietheClown, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    Played very well for someone who none of us really expected to be called up this stage of the cycle mostly due to the Club he plays for.

Glad Rueda does not care about where a player plays.

Azucarero repped this.
  25. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I love Barrios but Cueller distribution in a system where you are counter attacking and not really playing with the type of players to build a ton from midfield like James I can see why we'd use Cuellar. Barrios is very tidy and defensively I think he's better but his long range passing doesn't seem to be his strong point. I would like to see them both used against Argentina, if we are playing a 4-4-2 style system you can have both of them sitting deep and allow Diaz/Cuadrado/muriel/Duvan to take turns filling in ahead of the 2 and breaking from midfield.

ryu79 and Azucarero repped this.