WCQ 2022 - Paraguay vs Colombia (September 5th)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by HomietheClown, Sep 3, 2021.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #1 HomietheClown, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    I want to see Borja and Sinisterra.

But not sure what Rueda might do.

In some ways I am glad that Paraguay played at high altitude so they are a bit tired like we are and with a roster of less depth.
    But them losing to Ecuador only makes them need 3 points more so they will fight tooth and nail even more now.

ryu79 and Furnaccio repped this.
  2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Definitley want to see Sinister and Borja get some real minutes next game.

With Uruguay playing at home against Bolivia, they are likely to get 3 points so we can’t afford to dig ourselves any further from here on out…

3. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Perfect debut for Sinister was yesterday's Bolivia's game. Him over Quintero, and Quintero could of came the last 30 minutes.

4. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I'm happy for Roger though, although he's been stuck in Mexico for a while and can run hot and cold he's a talented and versatile player and has played well for us overall, and that was a hell of a goal.

5. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm still not 100% convinced, Although I admit he put 100% of his will into trying. So at least there's effort.

But I think we need to change tactic

lineup.png

lineup (1).png

Furnaccio repped this.
  6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #6 ryu79, Sep 3, 2021
    Roger is the MOST hot/cold player I've ever seen. He was ridiculous yesterday and I can only imagine what Rueda saw in training - he must be steamrolling people.

The issue is that historically he can equally turn off or worse draw a red.

So depends how he looks in training for me. I'd play him or Borja uptop with the Luis Fernandos on the wings and swapping constantly. If Roger is on a hot streak you need to ride it while it lasts...

Sinisterra buries the chance Andrade blew yesterday. Still fuming.

Furnaccio repped this.
  7. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    id start Roger again with guajaro and Sinisterra, I already know this guy is going to put his Nacional buddies in again though. Likely to see a Murillo brother and Mejia

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have always had confidence in Roger. A lot more confidence in him than say Morelos or Santos Borre but I will not beat those dead horses.

Munoz to me is good but he does not know how to cross. I may want to see Medina or even what Roman can do.

Cuellar scored last time we played Paraguay so I would maybe play him with Barrios but know that Rueda loves Uribe so it may not happen.

9. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Im still not a fan of Uribe but he's ex nacional so he'll be playing for sure over Cuellar. I'm a big fan of Alfredo Morelos and I still want to see him again soon. Borre is a top player and I think he should be starting but know that he probably won't. Roger to me has always been a top player but terribly inconsistent. Same goes for most of colombian players. Munoz is a top player and should always be starting.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #10 HomietheClown, Sep 3, 2021
    I may be a little harsh on those two but Roger can play wing and play 9.
    Santos Borre does not seem to know how to put shots near goal unless he is being coached by Gallardo.
    Morelos is just not as dynamic enough to play wing or supporting striker and is too small to play 9 for us in my opinion.

11. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    considering Morelos plays with us a bunch of lumbering awkward brutes who barely know what to do with a ball in Scotland and scores endless goals every season, I don't think he'll have a problem with size. Best ever colombian 9 (Falcao) is only like 5'9 or something. Borre is a top player and has a higher ceiling than both guys. Second he starts scoring in Germany everyone will say he's the next coming (again).

12. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If Roger could sustain his form he wouldn't be in Mexico. He has special potential - you see it every few months when he scores a goal for AdM out of a comic book or yesterday where he was waltzing around Bolivians like they were infants...

Its tough on Borja, but if Roger looks like he can sustain it another game - I'd start but be careful to yank him if he starts to lose his head.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I will be more patient with Morelos and Santos Borre but as of right now I won't expect much from them this cycle.
    Maybe the next cycle.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I could see both Borja and Roger starting in some sort of 4-4-2 though.

15. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he was sort of unlucky too but also possibly took lame choices. He lasted all of like 5 seconds at Villarreal. I can't remember if he scored much at all but I think they sold him to Mexico after 6 months which I always thought was weird. Once you're in Mexico you're not going anywhere unless its the MLS, its always been like that.

16. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Borre's been at Frankfurt for like 5 minutes and I know no one here bothers watching Morelos in Scotland even though he's been scoring consistently for years. Same with the crew in Belgium (Munoz etc).

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As Crzd would say, I do not care much for what they do at clubs.
    I only care about what they do in yellow. And so far I just do not see either of them making much of an impact at 9.
    Santos Borre has looked good to me though as supporting striker and even at the Cuadrado position but with Sinisterra waiting in the wings I think he may be the better option at that too eventually.

18. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yeah he was great further back but for a team who's terrible at scoring goals like Colombia putting a proven goalscorer in midfield is a waste. I'd like to see these guys get a real shot. People who have proven consistent results at their clubs. Honestly, no Colombian forwards ever convince me. Only one who ever did was Falcao. Everyone else is horribly inconsistent, in that case everyone is equal. I would give every forward a chance. Roger for now, once he forgets how to score goals i'd bench and put someone else. Once they forget how to score, put the next guy.

19. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah I agree he's been pretty hot and cold, but he does have a level that when he's at it is as high as a lot of our guys who have done really well at big clubs and in tough competitions. I'm fine with Borja or him starting, just would rather not see Falcao.

20. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I like the second formation, could also play JFQ/Cuadrado on the right over Roger, but probably better to use JFQ off the bench to limit his minutes past 30 due to his fitness. It's really poor planning that we only have Uribe as a real box to box guy, Alzate even if you're not gonna start him his versatility gives you a lot of options if Uribe gets hurt/suspended.

I still have a lot of faith in Morelos, he does a lot for his team and he scores goals, his hold up play and ability to draw fouls and get the team up the pitch is really useful and without Duvan clearly he would have been a good option to have for some of these games but we go forward with Borja and Roger and maybe Falcao.

Doogs repped this.
  21. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Based on our performances and the way that Rueda has set up the team his reluctance to call Alzate and Aguedelo may be down to us not really wanting possession. He seems to want to sit and counter and doesn't want to hold possession that much, which doesn't seem ideal overall. I think there's definitely times where that's great but we need to find a way to do a better job of controlling games and really taking it to another level, because up to this point under Rueda we look like a team that doesn't have a gear to dominate games and control the midfield at all.

22. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think he's focusing more on defensive stability and as a result is compromising posession. So yes we're not controlling the midfield. Up until the goal yesterday we looked great defensively. Also, I'm sure he thinks Baldomero is pretty much the same thing as Alzate.

23. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    well, I hope that is true, as of right now we lead in most goals scored on. Paraguay and Chile match is going to be the deal breaker.

24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think our defense under Rueda has been pretty good and yeah he is focusing on that area, but we are dancing through the rain drops if we keep that up long term. If we didn't have Luiz scoring some crazy goals in the COPA things look a lot different. We have enough talent to be balanced, and we're gonna have to play games where we defend a lot but I'm worried about the games where we need more of the ball and having both types of players and both types of games in our locker is important.

Doogs and Furnaccio repped this.
  25. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yah. There is too much iso ball being played. We don't want to be the Knicks.

In fairness, we did have a gorgeous German style counter that took them apart yesterday, only that the Rifle had no aim when it mattered. (Still fuming)

I like the idea of going 442 for these next two (or as long as Roger is playing with the Mario star power up equipped). Could do:

--------------------- Ospina --------------------
    Medina - Davinson - Murillo - Tesillo
    C4 -------- Uribe ------ Barrios ---- Diaz
    -------------- Roger ---- Borja --------------

I expect Diaz to return to form and lucidity at sea level.

Sinisterra would be first sub for me. Also, comfortable with Quintero coming on if we need more spark from midfield (would swap for Uribe and rely on the 4 CBs we are playing with to back up Barrios). I think Quintero is fine on fitness but just can't deal with altitude - happened to a lot of the team yesterday (Yairo looked lost the minute he came on and while Diaz had lungs, he couldn't concentrate and struggled with decisions. la Paz is tough).

Doogs repped this.