WCQ 2022: Matchday 6 - Brasil vs. Argentina (September 5, 2021)

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Christina99, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You deserve credit for at least trying to see the Brazilian side, however much confusion there was at least at first. It's unfortunate that a substantial number of your compatriots display a lack of inquisitiveness and have impulsively and reflexively reacted by attacking Brazil.

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So, you actually believe that the Argentine players were trying to hide de fact that they play in the EPL? Are those your facts? Because that is absurd.

Another question? Do you genuinely believe that the Argentine players were a serious health danger to Brazil by playing the game? Is that your understanding of COVID-19?

Chesco United and Christina99 repped this.
  3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It’s easy to blame the president in these cases, but my understanding is that the agency responsible for the fiasco is independent, it does not answer to him.

Chesco United repped this.
  4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    #329 Century's Best, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    What I believe carries no weight. What does matter are the facts and you have repeatedly ignored them, and you've used nothing but speculation ("everyone knows they play in the Premiership;" "fooling the nation of Brazil") as well as a starting misunderstanding of what's happening.

I tried to be diplomatic and took time to provide a lengthy explanation of what's happening, including the mention of a June 23 law that few Argentines, apparently, are even aware of.

You replied with a surprisingly vapid and frankly, foolish, statement. You misquoted and selectively edited my post. You have provided zero evidence that Anvisa went after the four players because:

1) they lied about playing in the Premiership
    2) they lied about having been in England

Do you have that evidence?

Because this is NOT why Anvisa went after them. They provided FALSE INFORMATION about having been in the UK in the 14 days preceding their arrival in Brazil.

Again, my beliefs are irrelevant.

I have stated on BigSoccer (including over the past 24-36 ours) that I personally question the mainstream narrative. However, what I, the real-life person who uses the BigSoccer user ID "Century's Best" believe has no consequence.

What does have consequence, what does carry weight, what does matter is the fact that the Federative Republic of Brazil has a law on the books, promulgated on and effective from, June 23, 2021 that any foreigner entering Brazil and who has been in the United Kingdom, or in South Africa, or in India in the preceding 14 days needs to undergo a 14-day quarantine.

5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    #330 Century's Best, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    To everyone here who is Argentine - I know some supporters of Argentina on BigSoccer are not actually people born in Argentina, so if you don't speak Spanish, I regret that you will struggle to understand this video.... but this is a video from Argentine television news which looks at the situation.

The first video is shown in the YouTube channel of Gustavo Segré. He is an Argentine citizen who lives in Brazil; he speaks Portuguese fluently, knows Brazil very well, and is an economic expert.

He was also on a panel on LN+ in which Alex Campos, a high-ranking official of Anvisa, explains what happened.

I submit both videos below.

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    For clarification, please: who is the "they" in your sentence "they're already caught lying?" And what is the lie?

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, obviously. My beliefs are irrelevant too. This will be up to FIFA now.

But since you came here to engage us, I'm trying to talk some sense into you, or at least to give you a chance at having an interchange of ideas from outside of your own Brazilian bubble. Rather than trying to come here to "educate us", try to listen.

So, if we begin with the obvious fact of how ludicrous and ridiculous it would be for well known EPL players to try to pretend that they were not in England, then it becomes obvious to anybody who is not dense that there would be no point or reason for them to try to do something as stupid as that. I mean, they are public figures, and where they've been for the past whatever days is already publicly known. There are even videos of their EPL games. And, because of the EPL's shenanigans about trying to keep players from joining their national team, there was even much more than the usual publicity about the fact that these players came from England.

So, you can't possibly seriously believe that the players would purposely choose to "lie" about having been to England. That's the same as believing that president Bolsonaro would come to visit the US and would try to lie about having been to Brazil. It's idiocy to think that.

Therefore, even if we give the Brazilian agency the benefit of the doubt on this, and accept that they are not making any stuff up, then the common sense answer is that it was probably a dumb mistake by some administrative minion who handled the paperwork. There is then obviously no reason for the Brazilian agency (or for you or for anyone else) to brandish loaded words like "lies" or "falsification of documents", unless you are trying to stir something up. But why?

As far as the actual danger of transmitting COVID-19, unless the agency genuinely believed that there was a clear and present danger to the other players and the refs and alll those on the field, then there was no reason whatsoever to stop the game. If their purpose was to deport some players over a clerical error, then once the game was already started it could and should have been done right after the game, without interfering with the spectacle.

therefore, I conclude that clearly their real intention was in fact to stop the game. I'm not going to speculate about their reasons for them wanting to do this.

On the other hand, lets say that we give the agency the benefit of the doubt again, and lets say that maybe they genuinely believe that the players in question were dangerously exposing the other players, refs etc. to COVID-19, and so they had no choice but to stop the game.

It sounds absurd to me, but if that was the case, then what they would have to do now is make sure that all those other players who played in the game, and who were in contact with the Argentines who were the source of what they believe was the COVID-19 danger, should now go into quarantine. That would of course be the Brazilian players who were in the game, since the Argentines have already left the country. In fact, the a-hole who charged the field with a gun and his minions should be quarantined too, because they also came into the field of play, where presumably the danger of COVID-19 was,

Is that what you think should happen now?

Christina99, ganapordiego, Burr and 2 others repped this.
  8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is basically a journalist reporting right after the suspension of the match, while the players were still in the stadium, speculating about the facts based on what he is being told in Brazil. It's all speculation. This was before more facts came out. He even said that all the players were going to be deported, which obviously didn't happen. They were also speculating that the Argentines were going to be forced to stay and do a quarantine. Obviously that didn't happen either.

This same journalist was saying at the time that Argentina would possibly lose the points because they abandoned the game. Of course, this was before the ref put in his declaration that it was in fact he who ordered the Argentine players to leave. Obviously the journalist and the other people involved in the video were talking at the time with very limited information. And based on that limited information, they eventually conclude that Brazil will be the one who'll have a problem with FIFA.

Now we have much more information, and yet we can also only speculate. I just hope that the game can be played, and that there is some kind of punishment, to ensure that we will never see another day like this one, when a football game is stopped by government agents.

9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    #334 Century's Best, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    You're not paying attention. It's not about "Brazilian bubble" or whatever other line which will earn likes. It's about the facts.

You insist on the line about "it's stupid to think they weren't in England" when I have already made it clear that the issue is the fact that the four players (or if not the players themselves, a member of the Argentine delegation who filled out the forms) stated they had not been in the UK in the previous 14 days before their arrival.

If you can't or won't understand what the issue is - not that they lied about playing for English clubs or about ever being in England, but about being there in a recent time period which according to a law from June 23, 2021 mandates quarantines for 14 days for those who'd been present in the UK in the 14 days preceding their arrival in Brazil.... then I can't help you.

As for who knew or what didn't know, they are public figures..... that is all irrelevant. Anvisa has no obligation to know anything. You think "everyone" knows? That's YOUR opinion.

Re: dumb mistake by some administrative minion.... speculation, that's all you wrote.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Actually, he makes the point that I make: there's a law and the information provided by your team's delegation violated that law and those four players should not have even been in Brazil to begin with.

They weren't "speculating" - they were operating on the facts according the June 23, 2021 law, but since your team was scheduled to leave Brazil after the match anyway, they did so.

I see that you don't like what he said, but in his own subtitle, he points out AFA erred. This doesn't mean there were no errors by CBF or Anvisa or CONMEBOL or any other entity. But since you mention more facts came out, CBF issued a statement saying CBF notified AFA of the requirements re: sanitary laws on the books as far back as July 5, and then again, on August 11 and on September 2.

If this statement is factually correct, then it is AFA which will have to explain why somehow the four players stated they had not been in the UK within 14 days immediately preceding their arrival in Brazil when they had been there.

I see you ignored the LN+ interview with a high-ranking Anvisa official. Oh well.

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right. That one is not even worth a response.

ganapordiego repped this.
  13. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only "evidence" that AFA erred is Anvisa pointing the finger at someone who wasn't even physically there to err, so until they produce some real evidence that is also baseless speculation. They also lied about where they were. I don't believe a single thing that organization says at the moment. They can't get their facts straight.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My impression is that Anvisa is an inept agency with too much power and fascist tendencies that is used to infringing on the rights of the Brazilian people.

So far their words and actions have been full of lies, exaggerations and contradictions. They used a bogus charge of lies and falsification over what's probably at worst a minor administrative mistake, as well as a bogus claim of a serious health danger that is not backed by science, to ignore the protocols that normally allow sporting events to be played without interference.

Their excuses over their unauthorized entry into the stadium and their charging the field with weapons in an attempt to detain players are irrelevant at this point. They showed who they are in the eyes of the whole world. I hate to see Brazilian football punished for the actions of such an agency, but a clear message has to be sent, because as bad as these people are, there is much worse in other parts of the world, and this is a precedent that cannot be allowed to stand.

Burr, Loco, Rattlehead and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No it does not. AFA, CONMEBOL and the CBF all got together on Saturday with Anvisa at the hotel where the Argentina team stayed. AFA, CONMEBOL and CBF had assurances that the game would go on.

On Sunday, for some unexplained reason, the Anvisa bureaucrats decided against the game taking place (no pointing fingers, but someone high up in the gov't did not like what was decided on Saturday)

And in all this, let's not forget why Brazil has a quarantine rule against the UK, its because the UK identifies Brazil as a not safe zone. Basically, the Bolsonaro doesn't like that his country is being called out for their bad handling of the pandemic, so he sets a BS quarantine rule.

PLEASE EVERYONE NOTE, THAT THE QUARANTINE RULE BY ANVISA DOES NOT APPLY TO BRAZILIAN NATIONALS!! this rule has NOTHING to do with safety, its a dopey rule created by a very little man currently serving as president of the biggest economy in South America. Yikes.

Yes, the travel rule does not apply to Brazilians. Anvisa and everyone in Brazil were aware of the four players (who had been kept in the same bubble restriction as during Copa America), but the game was called off by Anvisa.

I dont think that the Brazilian players were in on it, I don't think Tite was in on it, but clearly the fault here lies on the Brazilians. They gave assurances prior to Argentina entering the country, prior to the game, this is on them. It sucks for the Brazilian players, but this game cannot and should not be played in another time,

Burr and Christina99 repped this.
  16. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Also, Messi was going to break Pele's record. In Brazil. We just beat them twice in a row. Someone in the Brazilian gov't didn't want to lose face . . . geeze. I wonder who that could be

17. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Plus, it is on the CBF to guarantee the game gets played per FIFA rules. If it was authorized and agreed on beforehand and IF the 4 players that came from england were breaking any rule just entering Sao Paolo, it was ON THE CBF to find another venue so the match gets played.

Instead, that ANVISA mamarracho happened. It was on the CBF to guarantee the match gets played so, as much as i hate desk points, its only fair they get penalized for it.

18. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The argentinian players also got screwed by FIFA and CONMEBOL. They assured them that the PL players could come, that the match was gonna get played despite ANVISA cause the 10 CONMEBOL teams had an agreement for the Copa and the WCQualys, and then that DIDNT happen.

Chesco United repped this.
  19. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The fact that Brazilians (and here were have to include all, CBF, Anvisa and the Brazilian government) were initially all giving different stories is very telling. It illustrates what a sh#t show it is to rely on Brazil and how incompetent they were here.

The Brazilians in the last 48 hours are trying to coalesce under a consistent narrative, in order to make it seem like they had a clear protocol that was not followed.

This cannot be allowed to happen without people taking notice. One of the things that is require for Compliance is clear and consistent controls. That's not what happened here. It was inconsistent guidance and assurances that were not met. 100% this has to be blamed on the hosting nation.

Chesco United and Christina99 repped this.
  20. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Since Brazil forfeit the game so 3-0 win for Arg and 3 goals to Messi. Nice:sneaky:.

Loco repped this.
  21. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ha ha, it will never be called a forfeit b/c officially the game was suspended by the game officials due to outside interference. So, even if Argentina is given 3pts it won't count as a real loss by Brazil. . . see, they get their wish, they don't have to suffer the humiliation of being beaten 3 times in a row by Argentina and Messi doesn't break Pele's record in Brazil. . . well done Bolsonaro

SupaMario, Chesco United and Rattlehead repped this.
  22. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Quickly....

- President Bolsonaro had nothing to do with this. Anvisa is part of the government, but Anvisa is an autonomous agency. Gustavo Segré, your compatriot who lives and works in Brazil, who speaks Portuguese fluently, and who is very familiar with Brazil stated in the first of the two videos I linked that Anvisa does not take orders from President Bolsonaro; in fact, Segré mentioned your country's agency ANMAC to make the point.
    - Anvisa has no power to stop a sporting event, and in the second video which I linked, a senior official of Anvisa is interviewed by LN+, one of your country's television news shows/networks. He explained directly that Anvisa neither sought nor had the authority to stop the match.
    - President Bolsonaro is the chief executive, but he does not sign laws. Much like the U.S., Brazil is a federal constitutional republic with executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government.
    - CBF stated in an official note yesterday it notified AFA of updated rules and laws re: Covid-19 on July 5, on August 11, and on September 2. AFA is likely going to claim CBF did not do this, and if that's the case, rather than it becoming a "he says she says" situation, either/both sides will be burdened with the onus of proof. Time will tell.

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Haha, soccer banter. What would rivalries be like without it. I guess that's what Brazilians get from their biggest rival after this summer's continental tournament - which followed a long succession of Brazilian triumphs over Argentina.

You guys say "habrá revancha." We say "a gente joga de novo um dia."

As it is.

24. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Well, if you understood despite your stubborn position that Anvisa went after them NOT because they lied about ever being in England or for playing in the Premiership....

Ah, never mind.

The worst blindness is that which makes a blind person not want to see.

Bye.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The words you're looking for is thank you Bolsonaro. Because apparently if it wasn't for him your last title would still be in the early 90s ... :whistling: