WCQ 2022: Matchday 6 - Brasil vs. Argentina (September 5, 2021)

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Christina99, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How do you guys think we'll do against Brasil today?

Cant wait

2. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Even though we, right now, are slight favourites, I'd be happy with a draw. Have Brazil ever lost a qualifier at home?

3. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'll be happy with a draw too but damn, la Scaloneta makes it hard not to get my hopes up i hope we destroy them

4. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Without the Premier League players, Marquinhos suspended and the Arg. NT in full strength, I would be shocked if the Arg. NT lose today. Hope we get the win today.

Christina99 repped this.
  5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Not sure, but they lost at World cup 3 times at home to (Uruguay , Germany, Netherlands). They never lost at home at Copa America....till last month.

Any kind of record is bound to be broken.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know if the players lost make much of a difference. Brazil is deep, plus their key players today - Casemiro, Neymar - are expected to play.

They do lose their top two goalkeepers, but they have a good number three in Weverton. Marquinhos (out over yellow cards, not over EPL shenanigans) arguably is their biggest loss. Other than that, I don't see a difference maker in the guys lost relative to their replacements. The changes may work in their favor, as they can afford to experiment with a bit of recambio which in some cases - ie Militao over Thiago Silva, or adjustment to the forward line - seems to be overdue.

Brazil at home should still be favored. I'm cautiously optimistic, mostly because of the progress I've seen in our team, but I'd feel the same way if Brazil had all their players from the EPL.

locoxriver repped this.
  7. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm also cautiously optimistic and I do agree that there won't be much of a difference in attack and midfield. It's the absence of Marquinhos and their top 2 GKs (plus with the form that we are in) that I expect at least a draw in this match.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, Marquinhos is a huge loss. Anyway, he is lost because of the rules, not because of European club interference, so the Brazilians can't complain about that one.

The other big negative factor for Brazil may be Neymar's physical condition. He showed against Chile that he can still be dangerous, but he didn't look to be at his best.

soul24rage repped this.
  9. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the ******** is this bullshit

soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  10. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Loool hours before the game. Cheeky buggers. I’m sure they’ll be fine to play. Even if they don’t shows you how afraid brasil is of this Argentina team.

soul24rage and Burr repped this.
  11. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Every single time an argentinian team travels to Brazil some weird unexpected shit happens with their authorities. It's incredible and...pathetic.

And we treat them like kings every time they come... they never have any problems. We should be blasting fireworks all day in front of their hotel. And that's the mildest thing we should be doing.

ShortyMac, SupaMario, soul24rage and 2 others repped this.
  12. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Per Ole, CONMEBOL stepped up for once and made Brazil desist:

“El dia previo al partido circuló una versión de que la Agencia Nacional de Vigilancia Sanitaria de Brasil (Anvisa) estaba presionando para deportar a cuatro jugadores de la Selección, luego Conmebol informó que existe un pacto firmado entre los diez países sudamericanos para respetar burbujas y demás.

Y horas antes del duelo, llegó la notificación oficial de Anvisa para deportar a Emiliano Martínez, Giovani Lo Celso, Cristian Romero y Emiliano Buendía. La Policía Federal fue al hotel donde concentran Lionel Messi y compañía.

Finalmente, la Confederación Sudamericana presionó a Confederación Brasileña y el plantel argentino se trasladó completo al estadio. Los cuatro pueden jugar”​

Still petty on Brazil’s part though.. even if nothing happened in the end, the police presence for hours at the hotel and the uncertainty of the situation inevitably affects the players’ psyche.

Even more reason to go out there and win today, as if the nature of the clasico itself wasn’t already enough motivation

Burr, SupaMario and soul24rage repped this.
  14. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Explanation in English as well

15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Normally I would pretty nervous about this match. But since walking into Brasil for the the Copa, eating their food, sleeping in their beds, stealing their women and embarrassing them in front of their home crowd, I don’t feel nervous at all. Whatever happens today, they’ll never live down that loss. I’d like another victory, but that Copa victory was quite satisfying. I’m still relishing in it.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL!

But, no, I don't think that's what happening here. I'm sure the players and the Brazilian federation have nothing to do with this. Most likely it's Brazilian public bureaucrats being pelotudos, as public bureaucrats everywhere usually are.

17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’m with you... I almost feel like this is just one of those friendlies we get vs Brazil every now and then. I’m not really concerned with a loss.

At the same time beating them twice in their home within a 2 month span could throw them off right before Qatar. They’d go from being seen as the “unbeatable” SA superpower they were in June, to a flawed and questioned team on the eve of the WC. And we, on the other hand, would be fortified mentally by reinforcing that the Maracanzo was no mishap.

I know you weren’t saying that you don’t care if we win, but I’m just highlighting the importance this match could potentially have. A win would be very valuable, although a loss won’t really have much of an effect.

18. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol, what a bunch of cheaters those brasileros and their shenanigans

ShortyMac and argentine soccer fan repped this.
  19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe, but CONMEBOL had to pressure CBF with football-related penalties in order for them to drop the charges they were pushing for:

Ahí tomó cartas en el asunto la Conmebol. Le exigió a la CBF que deben respetar los acuerdos de eximición de cuarentenas, firmados por los diez países sudamericanos para poder llevar a cabo diferentes competiciones, como la Copa América que ganó Argentina, Copa Libertadores, Sudamericana y también Eliminatorias.

El aviso fue claro: se juega con esos cuatro jugadores argentinos o Brasil pierde los puntos. Es más, si no se respetaba esa eximición de cuarentena, pactada desde hace meses, el jueves Brasil debería cambiar de sede (recibe a Perú en Recife) y hacer de local en otro país. Hubo tensión.
    So whether or not this all originated from CBF we’ll never know, but they certainly were supporting the initiative and trying to get the 4 players to be ineligible.

argentine soccer fan and soul24rage repped this.
  20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No doubt. Another win in Brasil would be the cherry on top. I do hope our players do not go into this match with my lackadaisical attitude. . Beating Brasil in Brasil’s would be great and to be the first side to do it in the qualifiers would be even better. Before these three games, I said 7 points is what we should be looking at(At the minimum) and that’s what I’ll stand by.

soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ultimately, it's best if everyone gets to play, but since the articles I've seen aren't clear enough, I'm going to throw this out here:

Does any Argentinian source have a clear indication of what the immigration forms ask for and what the AFA filled out (or didn't fill out)?

My assumption is that if they had declared England as a place they had been, everything would have been dealt with at the entry point.

Since they didn't, someone decided to be a hero whistleblower and get this mess started.

Maybe the forms aren't clear and it was a genuine mistake by AFA, maybe the forms clearly state "England" and they wanted to avoid a hassle so they didn't check the box.

At any rate, with the match 1 hour away and the players confirmed, it's a non-issue, but without the details, the press was just assuming AFA lied on immigration forms, whether intentionally or not.

22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

We just played in Venezuela. If there was an issue, something would’ve been brought up there. People know where our players play, so, I don’t see why they would fib on such a matter.

23. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, no, because Brazilian immigration had no role in this until you enter Brazilian territory.

They don't have to fib, they could make a mistake. Similarly, our immigration forms could be unclear and therefore partially responsible for the issue. I'm asking for more sources for a complete picture so I can stop speculating, which I did plenty of above.

24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Copa America champs looking at Dybala like "who the ******** are you??"

[​IMG]

:D

25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe we’ll find out more information later on. Enjoy the game but I can’t wish you good luck :D.

Ombak repped this.