Pre-match: WCQ 2022 - Colombia vs Venezuela (March 29-Tuesday)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Furnaccio, Mar 24, 2022.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    His contract is up in June I do believe. No way he lasts that long I needs to resign by at least Friday, Monday at the latest.

2. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    You serious?
    This.

And what if the miracle somehow did occur? We go into elimination matches of the World Cup against weaker teams only to field a double 5 with Tesillo at LB?

The lack of any sort of ambition is sickening.

dapip, Furnaccio, lvbeto and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    He should've resigned after the Peru match.

I do think he's gone--even though the Fed has done dumber things in the past.

Whether he's gone or not, I guarantee the Fed takes months, perhaps more than a year to name an official new coach. They do this all the time, probably to save money, F'ing us over in the long run.

dapip and sidspaceman repped this.
  4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I agree with all that.

Azucarero repped this.
  5. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Man

I wonder if the Veliztas still hate Pekerman

ryu79, dapip and Azucarero repped this.
  6. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Rueda should do the honorable thing and resign and apologize. This was such bad soccer that its difficult to produce this many bad results. Good riddance, how do you not call up more wide attackers? Why would you bring in all these CF's if you're gonna play a 4-3-3? Is he honestly an alcoholic or something that is in a life crisis or something because its difficult to be this bad.

dapip, Froboy69, Azucarero and 2 others repped this.
  7. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Rueda should do the honorable thing and commit seppuku

sidspaceman, dapip and villus repped this.
  8. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Look I am not happy either but jesus man...

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Just bring Will Smith…

[​IMG]

Froboy69, sidspaceman and Furnaccio repped this.
  10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  11. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    So Muriel wasn't even on the bench, neither Cantillo. This guy had zero wide forwards on the bench and the guys who have performed best with the ball at their feet beside a 6 were either not called up (Alzate) or didn't even make the bench. Luis Suarez and Harold Preciado over Muriel, winning the game 1-0 and you want to stretch the team on the counter and he takes off a wide attacker to go back to the 4-4-2 with guys who need service. WHAT IS HE DOING. Tesillo was getting torched on his side defensively 1v1 and offered absolutely nothing going forward. Mojica was the starter for a bunch of games recently and then isn't even making the bench. Just complete chaos.

dapip, Azucarero and Furnaccio repped this.
  12. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Rueda = creatively bankrupt.

I never seen a team like ours struggle so much to get a clean shot on goal. At least when we had cardona play, we would get a nice shot on goal here and there.

Venezuela had a couple of good chances the few times they were near the box fortunately they aren’t a good team. A good team would have put them in against us.

Someone pointed out how sinister struggled today and I hate to say it too, but he was trying too hard and it showed. I think he had one moment of brilliance. But I think we need to find a better suiting role - maybe as an LAM and play Lucho as a false 9 - teams are going to quickly figure out how to maintain him if we continue to play iso ball with Lucho.

I don’t know what to say about James. I just don’t see him changing the flow of the game like he used to under pekerman after an absence.

Sad to see our team deteriorate to its current state. Just goes to show how valuable Zuniga-Armero-macnelly-aldo-Edwin were to what was the best series of games the past 10 years.

13. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hope he goes there and build up alot of players for the Future but stays the FK away from our NT. If he goes to Brazil/Spain/Mexico/Argentina and does well at a club that would be great too

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

15. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Bye Felicia.

16. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well fellas. This one was the Chronicle of a Death Foretold.

Hurts so much when we all felt foolishness abound in how Rueda handled the Copa America call ups... And we saw this slowly happening for such a long time...

These past two games while painful have felt so empty knowing that we blew it with the goal let up against Peru and the bevy of games where we were impotent in Barranquilla and let points slip away (the late goal we gave up in La Paz stings terribly too as we had outplayed them at altitude and had the lead, the silly goal Davinson gifted in Asuncion).

I really don't buy into the idea that this team isn't good enough or would have put on a poor show in Qatar - that just feels like a cop out. This team is historically talented by our standards and collectively blew it between horrendous coaching, bad luck with injuries and a lack of on field leadership/maturity from our veterans.

It sucks. I know from here qualifying will become easier but we may not always have this kind of talent available either.

Azucarero, lvbeto, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  17. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Commiserations lads. Hopefully my sympathy isn't brushed off.

It's clear that your squad is superior to ours and I thought we looked outclassed in both games against Colombia, but as it's been said we knew how to play to our strengths more and I think that was the difference. I was at the ground yesterday and was really happy we got the job done, but did feel bad for you all at the same time. A team with that forward line + the newly rejuvenated Luis Diaz really did not deserve such a limited manager. Good luck in 2026.

Tio Nicci, ryu79, Azucarero and 4 others repped this.
  18. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Peru has been a great team that has played above the sum of their parts for two cycles now and they deserve a lot of credit, we have a lot of talent but have been a complete mess. Good luck to Peru and I hope they make it to the World Cup, Colombia's problems shouldn't take away from their success, tactically they've done everything to be an effective team.

dapip and SiempreCrema repped this.
  19. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I do actually believe we have an underrated squad. Sometimes we're made out to be worse than we actually are on paper, but that still doesn't match up to Colombia or Ecuador.

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I agree with Villus here. On paper, as I said on the NT thread, Colombia has probably the 3rd or 4th most talented squad in Conmebol, and I'd place Peru at 5th/6th, but they had good games against rivals that were considered more talented, and even tough we dominated the last game, they managed to beat us, so yes, Peru is playing above their rank, while we are playing below ours. You might say Peru is slightly underrated based on their performance/expectation ratio.

SiempreCrema repped this.
  21. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    We have a ton of talent and Rueda couldn't do anything with it. This was a great example of the process leading to results, our process was really bad, starting from the Copa and basically every game there was no progress, no real adjustments, he just tried to rely on our skill to win games and it went horribly wrong. We have so much talent that minimal preparation of your players and minimal adjustments and setting the team up probably would have been enough, idk if the players really gave up to get rid of CQ and if that's the case they deserve a lot of blame and the "leaders" of the team have not done enough on their end either.

22. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Who are the Future prospects aside from Lucho, Cucho, Sinis, and (Villa, Suarez, Cuesta)

Colombia does not have upcoming #10...,

left back has always been an issue since Pablo Armero

Can Ospina lead goalkeep for the next 4 years?

23. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yaser Asprilla has potential.

Ospina plays part time at the club so we should easily have him around for the 26 cycle. Crazy how he’s still the best option by a long shot.

dapip repped this.
  24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Montero and Chunga could be options for 2024/26. Not crazy about them, but not so terrible.

Davinson, Yerry, Lucumi and Cuesta are still fairly young. Same with Muñoz, but we don't have options at LB.

Upfront we have Asprilla, Sinisterra, Diaz, Borre, Suarez, Cucho.

The middle is where we are aging the most, with Barrios, Lerma, Cuellar and Cantillo nearing 30.

25. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think Alzate is a good option still but needs to probably leave Brighton to play more, I like Agudelo but he's not really solidifying his playing time, Atuesta seems like a really good option. Again unfortunately Rueda has not given these guys much of a shot at all so we have all the older players without even getting the younger guys on the path within the team. Forwards and defenders we seem to be pretty well off but the midfield is something we really need to find younger guys to take the torch asap.

dapip repped this.