WCQ 2022 - Colombia vs Uruguay (Nov 11 2020)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Oct 30, 2020.

1. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The worst in history at home in official game. Not only james. Was a disaster class

sidspaceman repped this.
  2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We lost two friendlies: South Korea and Algeria In 2019

Copa america against Chile

And today

sidspaceman repped this.
  3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    haha so wondering if those old radio host will get the coaches dick out of their mouths. They talk about him like we won us 3 WCs in a row

pepinointer repped this.
  4. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    W2w22www22²w

5. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Right so this is the first, right? Chile was penalities, no?

What a way to break the run...

Froboy69 repped this.
  6. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    All I want for Christmas is Quieroz fired .

Azucarero, crzdcolombian and pepinointer repped this.
  7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    J-Mezzy, jay luis and crzdcolombian repped this.
  8. Daninho777

Daninho777 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Not the same team. Uruguay was a shadow of itself in that game. And Cavani and Giménez didn’t play then either.

9. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yup.

10. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    The is the first game where, from the moment we lined up to the very last minute of the game, I didn't, for a second, think we could win.

I don't like knee-jerk reactions, but in the couple hours since the match ended my mind hasn't changed at all: if we get no points in Ecuador, Quieroz must go.

pepinointer repped this.
  11. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I doubt queiroz goes

Federacion is not making as much money and firing him means you have to pay him and the guy your bring jn

12. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    You're probably right.

Frankly, I don't see us making the World Cup right now. If we only have 4 points after 4 matches, that's an insanely uphill battle.

Unfortunately the Fed doesn't ever think ahead and won't realize that making the World Cup is going to be their biggest source of revenue in the foreseeable future.

Froboy69, J-Mezzy and pepinointer repped this.
  13. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Remember when your parents would say, “I’m not mad at you....just disappointed”

ThAts how I feel today.

I thought we had a chance to make a comeback, but I was flat out wrong

I kinda thought the Díaz/Barrios sub was right at the time, but our defensive discipline fell apart big time in the 2nd half.

I do wish we can go a full first half with our starting 11 but taking out Barrios was not the right move in hindsight.

I still don’t get what Morelos offers off the bench especially when he plays out of position.

I would rather have seen cardona go in for Muriel, especially since Cardona played that Left Wing / LAM role last cycle.

Jeison lacked discipline today - foolish penalty and tried dribbling upfield like a maniac. Wtf was that. Also had a bad pass that could have made it 3-0 before the 3rd goal actually happened

Mina was awful with that opening goal and I will blame James for the 2nd goal. He had plenty of time to distribute the ball. Don’t know what he was thinking. James did have some nice passes at times

After the third goal, Lerma and CArdona showed a lot of immaturity with those yellow cards

And Mina with the 2nd yellow....now we really test our CB depth.

Cuadrado was back to his old antics of trying to flop and do too much with the ball.

Uribe was alright; Barrios was probably the best player before being the first to be subbed out.

Duvan tried hard but couldn’t really get any clear shots on goal.

Muriel was absent.
    Díaz had a couple of potential moments but nothing happened.

Mojica had the best shot on goal I think, but did a lot of desperate crosses to nobody.

Ospina had some nice stops but he should have stopped that 3rd goal.

Overall we were flat/lazy and showed no discipline

Leadership was poor today.

Rant over. See you on Tuesday [emoji52][emoji58][emoji55]

Azucarero and Froboy69 repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I had a bad feeling when I saw that back line. Murillo and Cuadrado just should not start for us back there.

But honestly, Uruguay played like a team that needed the three points. We played like a team that was going through the motions and just did not look ready to play.
    Uruguay knows how to take advantage of dumb mistakes like sharks in water and the team just kept on bleeding without anything to stop the bleeding.

Azucarero repped this.
  16. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #216 Baal88, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    There were a lot of individual errors in this game. One of the things that should not happen again is Cuadrado as RB. Colombia isn't Juventus and he just isn't physically fit to run up and down the whole game.

Muñoz needs to be played in any position, this team also needs new blood and more creativity, he provides both.

J-Mezzy, ryu79, Furnaccio and 1 other person repped this.
  17. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No matter the names...with the rigid style and method pf queiroz we wont have more creativity......only the same use of the bands

18. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    His biggest glaring weakness is he apparently thinks playing Lerma in front of the defense is better than Barrios. Clearly a manager who only values athletes over intelligent players, Barrios and James are our two best midfielders and Barrios should be anchoring our team. Lerma had a good couple games and scored a goal the game before but Barrios makes the midfield tic, shields the back line and breaks up play and is much better at keeping the ball and finding James.

It's also maddening that Alzate who handled the press amazingly well and is really good operating on the ball deep was dropped for this call up, I don't think CQ really has the ability to tactically adjust much and if we don't have guys who can absorb pressure and find James or play out when they cut him off we are going to struggle like crazy. Uruguay showed a blue print on how to shut us down, he needs to adapt and avoid the same problems we had in the last cycle of not having enough intelligent midfielders outside of James (it got a lot better when we integrated Barrios).

ryu79, Azucarero, J-Mezzy and 2 others repped this.
  19. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Alzate is where it gets truly bizarre. All coaches make decisions I don't agree with. I'm used to that.

I can't understand how a coach abandons their own decisions when they were actually working. He brought Alzate in, when most other coaches likely wouldn't have. He brought him in for every single call up. He did fantastically against Chile's pressing. And now you drop him? When we're about to play Uruguay??

Cuadrado has done remarkably well in central midfield--and Quieroz deserves the credit for putting him there. Now, after that awful performance in Santiago, he puts Cuadrado at RB again? Abandoning the physicality in midfield to redo something he knows won't work.

He's an idiot.

He started Medina the entire cycle, and then puts Arias in out of nowhere for our first qualifier. He had Tesillo as a starter the entire cycle, and then he wasn't even called up for the first matches. And now he's back??

The guy has no clue what he's doing.

20. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah there are a lot of signs that he doesn't have clear ideas or a well organized plan. With Cuadrado there is a reasoning why to put him at RB, I can see that thought process but then why do you drop Alzate who you need more in that situation? It's always the sign of a manager that isn't great when they just change things without clear thought processes, and I think with CQ when he's not sure he just try's to get athletes in and bypasses more technical players. I like Uribe and I like Lerma but for a game like Chile and Uruguay with very good pressing teams you need players with Alzate's profile.

Azucarero repped this.
  21. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    That seems to be the MO, and Homie was warning us about that well before he ever coached us.

But even that is inconsistent. Medina does not get by on athleticism. Tesillo is a pretty big dude, but he's not very athletic either, definitely not as an LB. Granted, I guess that both were dropped right when qualifiers started might support your idea.

But his choice to continually use Morelos as an offensive sub in the 2nd half, particularly on the wings, shows it isn't just athleticism that he looks at.

Honestly, I think the only thing Quieroz looks at is the club and the minutes the player gets at the club. That'd explain why Medina got the jump over Arias, why Alzate was dropped, why Cardona was absent until now, and why there are only 5 players stationed in America on the roster.

And 3 of those guys weren't on the roster last time around.

This guy hasn't figured out how to watch players on the interwebs. All he uses are stat sheets.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That doesn't explain Barrios. I have no way of explaining dropping Barrios when you are playing a fresh set of CBs... Or frankly any opposition with serious midfield.

23. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Honestly, that change did not damage us that much. Uruguay's 2nd gol is purely a result of a James' blunder. We actually took control of the game for a while with Diaz on the pitch, and we didn't give away control until we subbed in Cardona for Uribe. That's when everything went to pure crap.

In that situation, just one central or defensive midfielder on the pitch, Barrios should most certainly be the guy.

But a change had to be made to get Diaz on the pitch, and it had to be one of the midfield 3. If you look at the replay, you'll see Cavani shading Barrios (or whoever took up the central position) every time Colombia has the ball. This is what caused Mina to be on the ball too much, and ultimately force that stupid pass that wound up being the first gol.

Barrios plays best centrally, and Colombia plays best when we have him centrally. Uruguay nullified that before they even stepped on the pitch. As much as I hate Quieroz, I give him credit for recognizing this eventually.

Of course, that Barrios-marking SHOULD have opened up space for Uribe. But dummy Uribe, once again, spent the whole time wandering up field when the CBs needed somebody to drop down to help make a bridge to our attacking players.

Instead, Cuadrado decided to be that guy instead of playing like an ACTUALT RB and sticking to the sideline. DISASTER.

Furnaccio and J-Mezzy repped this.
  24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    They man marked Barrios like crazy because they know that he's the only one of the midfield 3 who wants to get on the ball in those positions building from the back, which is not a problem with the formation its a problem with the personnel because you have Lerma and Uribe who are not good deep on the ball and why they don't sit in front of the CB's because they are risky in possession there. The worst answer is to take off Barrios because now you have no one who is good receiving the balls from the CB's and progressing it to our attackers. The first two goals are directly related to this. Play Cuadrado in midfield or play James in the midfield 3 or have Alzate or Cantillo in the squad to play there against an organized high pressing side that are trying to get you to pass to Uribe and Lerma in areas they don't want the ball.

Goal 1 - Mina is at fault for a not great pass, but Lerma is not ready to receive the ball and then when it gets to him he panic's and coughs it up, again Mina's ball wasn't great but you should be prepared to receive there and imo a guy like Barrios or Alzate handle that better.

Goal 2 - James gets caught on the ball being the deepest midfielder because Lerma and Uribe vacate that area where they should be to create space for James because he's now the only player you want of our midfield on the ball constantly, he loses it and there's no cover and then Jeison makes a terrible mistake.

Diaz for Lerma or Uribe was an easy sub, play James deeper and two wide attackers, but instead he makes the problem worse forcing James to have to go deeper and deeper to get on the ball because we are lacking other ball Progressor's which was largely our biggest problem last cycle unless James played with Cardona and when we used Carlos Sanchez all the time.

25. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    IMO the Uruguay penalty wasn't legit, the player obviously flopped but the var can't be used for that? I don't get the point of having instant replay if it isn't going to be used properly.

With that being said, I've been a Queiroz detractor from day one but I never thought he'd have us playing this bad, it really is back to the Pinto days with this clown. I can see the federation firing him in the near future and appointing their hijo bobo Reyes as new DT, going from bad to worse gentlemen.

pepinointer and Azucarero repped this.