WCQ 2022 - Chile vs Colombia (Oct 13 2020)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #1 Froboy69, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Starts 8:30 PM eastern time.

Happy I am able to watch these games since I just literally started a graveyard shift and always have a nice period between when I wake up and work.

Now in your opinions based on their match against Uruguay, do you think that we can play patiently and with mental stability?

The last time we faced them (Copa America) left a very bad taste in my mouth. Especially due to how we acted with so little confidence. I feel like us able to handle Venezuela will keep us solid enough to snatch a good result.

I am hoping for a win as:

Bolivia is hosting Argentina and Ecuador is hosting Uruguay and we know that their locations at home often cause upsets in regards to the breathing matter.

While Peru is hosting Brazil, I don't know how well they will play as Peru was questionable against Paraguay despite being the away team; if anything they would have gotten a win realistically.

Venezuela and Paraguay is a toss-up but it matters little for us.

Overall since these matches aren't influenced by fans and literally just fields without the home advantage atmosphere, this can be neutral ground for us ideally.

Furnaccio repped this.
  2. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think you nailed it. This is a mental test. As frenetic and aggressive as they play (and they do), we have the athleticism and fundamentals to play at our pace and win.

With our back four and Lerma and Barrios there is no reason we can't cope if we keep our heads. Vital that C4 use his team and avoid them getting in his head and luring him into foul trouble. If we can absorb their pressure and release C4 and Muriel's speed we can do this.

3. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    have to say im enjoying the 4-3-3

4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    are we replacing Arias?

5. Jace

Jace Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Chile deserved at least the tie against Uruguay. Especially with how they played in the 2nd half. Chile started 3 young and inexperienced defenders and they did pretty well against Uruguay.

The copa america game was terrible. Did better in the 0-0 friendly last October, but without James we struggled to create good chances.

Hope we see the same front 6. Love Falcao, but gotta keep going with Duvan.

6. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Where the ******** have you been?

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is a comfort to know that Colombia can go in trying to get a win but a point can be valuable too.

Chile has to press for three points or else they will be in some trouble.

No fans works to our advantage too.
    But Chile still plays at a pretty good pace and might give us some problems on the wings.

Expecting a 0-0 but hoping for some sort of smash and grab three points we steal.

8. minus

minus Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Portugal
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    4-3-3 works when you have a creative player like James not 3 forwards. I like how team attacks in unison and all return to form a double line of 4 to defend.

Doogs and Azucarero repped this.
  9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think what he means is - are we going to have an emergency roster addition I.e Muñoz or someone from domestic league.

I doubt it only bc of the covid logistcis.

10. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Chile is going to come out guns blazing from the opening - which is something they tend to do with us historically. We need to be the ones controlling the tempo.

Medina has the momentum and this will be a huge weight off his shoulders if he can have a good game here. Make me a believer Frodo!!

Lerma will make sure Chile doesn’t play dirty - I liked his physical, brute force he showed at times - with Chile both him and Barrios will need to be ready to get more physical but maintain composure

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he would just add Fuentes again to the mix.
    That would be the easiest thing to do in a situation like this.

12. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Chile is the big game

I liked James as the captain. He is the big game player on the team. The one who takes it on his back and pulls shit out of his ass. And he is the only clear starter. Only player you can’t debate should start

also liked how Cuadrado played. For the first goal I was like this asshole going to dive !!

balls on the coach for starting Muriel over Falcao! Also like someone said this is the player we all wanted to see when he was 19 and in that season with Lecce where they were comparing him to fat Ronaldo.

I have also always really liked and rated Lerma pretty highly. He had a great game. Alzate I like a lot especially on the NT. He seems way more defensive at club level but he does play RB at times so he can be Medinas Backup as well.

I hope you guys are right about team just saving energy but we have always been a team that is gased the last 20 minutes or asleep for the first 15. To be a top team we need to be alert the whole game

Furnaccio repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The great thing about letting them set the pace though is that they will be susceptible to our counters the more they move forward and focus on attack. Muriel had such a great game against them last cycle in Qualifiers. They could not keep up with his pace from what I remember. Hopefully he plays even better now that he is playing with confidence and knows how to score goals more efficiently.

14. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I for one would rather we play at our pace and snap the counters when they present themselves. If we play at their rhythm we get vertigo and play under our abilities. With the talent on our core we should be able to control that pace in an empty stadium. I hope...

Furnaccio repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It could be one of those type of games where we pick and choose when to play at our pace. As long as we play smart and keep the game close the more pressure goes on their shoulders and not ours.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And keep in mind Queiroz has us very organized defensively so I think we can withstand most of their attacks as long as we pass it quickly to the guys out on the wings when they fully commit.

17. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #17 Doogs, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    i'm really liking Alzate's way of playing, not just with Colombia but at Brighton too. I was worried he would just be a standard english midfielder but he's got good technique, dribbling, speed, agility and work rate.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  18. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #18 ryu79, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    He looked like a different guy yesterday - I think he wanted to show that he can play our style. Self aware.

pepinointer, Furnaccio and Doogs repped this.
  19. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Got a buddy in NYC who supports his team and is Colombian/Ecuadorian; I mma inquire more details on that player from him.

20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I like more how he plays for for Colombia then Brighton. He seems more offensive for us and more defensive for them their #8 is super interesting

21. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He does play a deep lying playmaker but is still able to get involve in attacks.

Furnaccio repped this.
  22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    These guys need to play and aside from James there aren't a lot of 10s playing in the epl.

I remember watching Nol Solano playing at RB for Newcastle in his prime (when he was like 80% of Peru's office at the time).

Looks like he got to mix it up more at Swindon, but agree with CRZD I'd of thought him a more defensive player after watching him play with Brighton against Everton (and they are a pretty adventurous side).

23. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No Alzate's a versatile player, he plays deep but it is common to see him burst forward with speed and agility, I've only seen him a handful of times but I was able to see what kind of player he is quick.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  24. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Venezuela did to us the same mistake we have done to other teams in the past - they gave us space and respect and we capitalized via 3 goals in the first half.

Chile will be aggressive from the opening whistle so our boys need to prepared for some rough play and play smart with composure

With everyone, except for Arias, healthy and rested, I think we are in a good position to get 3 points. An “away” game in an empty stadium is just a regular game to me, so getting 3 points will be a great way to set the stage for a strong WCQ run.

Against Venezuela - we probably played better than any WCQ game last cycle (smart passing, finding space, everyone dropping back, organization, chemistry, less long ball, etc), so I feel we are positioning ourselves to be in the driver’s seat.

See you on Tuesday!!!

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Chile will have better shots on target than Venezuela becase they simply have better shooters and play better offensively.

I hope Vargas comes up huge again. We may need him a lot more in this game than the previous one.