WCQ 2022 - Brasil vs Colombia (November 11th)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by HomietheClown, Nov 3, 2021.

1. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    #126 kromekote, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    Biggest mistake started with giving Tesillo the responsibility to handle the ball in the box. Neither Davidson nor Tesillo are good with the ball on feet so why start now? Just have Ospina clear and give our defense some breathing space. There had already been SEVERAL warnings that at times clearing the ball DEEP was our best tool when Brazil was placing so much pressure up top.

Tesillo's clearances (To no one ever!) were barely passing our DFM line and that's exactly how their goal was won as Tesillo left a huge hole right in the middle of DF. Poor strategy by Rueda.

dapip repped this.
  2. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah Tesillo and Davinson are just terrible at playing out and Brazil was pressing more and more and we didn't adjust at all and we had 35% possession for the game. We really missed Cuesta and Mina.

3. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

1st half we played VERY WELL. Rueda's subs and formation broke it all apart. Didn't help that Cuellar had his worst game. So many complain about Uribe but he was missed last night.

HomietheClown repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Overall the match / result went pretty much the way I thought it would. For weeks I knew that we would be fortunate to get a 0-0 and probably lose by a goal.

The way it played out though was a bit different. We actually did not look too badly in the first half.
    Second half though Tite made the right tactical adijustments and Rueda did not.

5. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Brazil adjusted and got more assertive, we got tired. We had no midfield to control much of the game, we did well for a while and we won the ball higher up the pitch to generate chances but we were pushed further and further back and didn't counteract it. Lerma actually had a really good first half, drew fouls, won the ball and combined fine, I actually think he was better for that game then Uribe since he's a bit better defensively and Uribe doesn't offer enough in possession anyways. I don't think he should have taken off Diaz but Tite made a mistake starting with Casemiro and Fred and when he switched Fred for Vincinius at half time Brazil dominated us much more and pushed us further and further back and the CB's came higher to cut off our long balls out, Rueda didn't tactically adjust at all and it was wave after wave.

6. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wonder what Rueda doesn’t see in Cantillo to not play him at all.

1. Midfielder who knows how to pass - check
    2. Plays in this pitch pretty much every week - check
    3. Rueda doesn’t use any tactics, except for “blast the ball forward to Cuadrado or Lucho and hope something happens” so it’s not like our “system” is complicated
    4. Playing in Barranquilla will be more of an away game than Arena Corinthians LOL

7. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Even if Rueda didn't want to use James early based on the CB's and the way the game changed he should have absolutely used Cantillo. Cantillo and James are the only guys who fit the profile of what we needed, rather then 2 striker for 2 strikers he probably should have brought in Cantillo and James and played more of a 4-2-3-1 but the guy is so completely stubborn in his formation and dead set on emptying the midfield that he wouldn't do it. Even if we tied or won that game it was a mistake not to adjust to what Tite did and how the game was going, this is happening almost every game and its a big disadvantage for us.

ryu79 repped this.
  8. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We have a tendency to give opposing players space and breathing room and I always say that better/smarter teams will capitalize on that.

Paqueta made a good run and all he needed was just enough breathing room for a first touch / shot on goal and boom.

Colombia on the other hand - we give opposing teams time to set up their defense and re group bc of our inability to make a run and because we play with our backs to the goal and require 2-3 touches before we try our usual desperate shot on goal or desperate cross across the pitch to no one LOL

Our two best sequences were in the first half when Mojica passed into space to Lucho and I think he made a cross to the other side which led to a shot by Barrios. And then we did a corner kick that was a give and go I think which led to a cross that also resulted in a nice shot.

9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Really hard to play when a team just doesn’t stop fouling you and ref doesn’t call fouls or give yellows….

their goal was a foul on one of our players

this shit happens all the time. Our guys need to stop dropping and hoping for a foul. Or not waiting for the ref to stop the game. Brazil and Argentina have scored so many on us in the past because we think the refs will call things they don’t have the balls to against these teams

again how the hell did Neymar not get a yellow or red for what he did to the ref fking twice!!!

kromekote and Furnaccio repped this.
  10. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I recall Yairo stopping mid play hoping for a call - you gotta play until you hear a whistle buddy.

Given Neymar’s flopping reputation, I don’t know how he got away with bumping the ref. That was absurd. In any sport, you’re gone.

dapip and crzdcolombian repped this.
  11. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The change of diaz by roger ...actyually was horrible....diaz was keeping the brasilian defense always busy....

dapip, Furnaccio, ryu79 and 2 others repped this.
  12. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    IF we played with that same formation and intensity vs the rest of Conmebol, I think we would be 2-3 goals by 1st Half. But Our halves are terribly inconsistent for many matches. Either a great 1st half and horrid 2nd or vise versa. I'd prefer to see this trend at least get corrected vs Paraguya.

pepinointer repped this.
  13. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    To add to this:

1. Play with urgency
    2. Less long balls
    3. More help from defensive midfielders to support the LB/RB when they get the ball from Ospina
    4. Help from attacking mids when DM’s get the ball
    5. Pass into space
    6. Make runs into space
    7. Attackers should stop playing with backs to the goal
    8. Stop giving opposing defense time to reset and organize
    9. Less reliance on big plays - use your teammates - if Cuadrado/Lucho draw a double team, then that means someone is open…
    10. Don’t sub out the players who are actually playing well (Mojica/Lucho)

14. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cuellar killed the game. Not his fault but we went to keep the tie and taking out Diaz + Zapata made their defense work less then go on all out attack

15. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Let’s go Argentina!! Need a blowout to help weaken Uruguay’s goal difference

16. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'll take the 1-0

dapip and Furnaccio repped this.
  17. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Chile va ecuador will be a indicator where we stand

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hoping for a draw in that one or Chile barely winning.

And of course hope we score a bunch of goals against Paraguay.

dapip repped this.
  19. lvbeto

lvbeto Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was thinking about this. Wouldn't it be better for Ecuador to win? This would make sure Chile's goal differential worsens, which would help us, assuming we win the games we need to win. It doesn't matter if we finish 3rd or 4th at this point. Heck even 5th.

I do agree though, a tie in that game wouldn't be a bad result for us.

ryu79 repped this.
  20. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Same. At this point I think Ecuador is in. We are playing to atleast get into the playoff.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ecuador can still falter.