WCQ 2022 - Argentina vs Colombia (February 1st)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This match will arguably be the most stressful of our second to last round of qualifying matches. Argentina has already qualified but they're too prideful to take it easy on us and test new players. I honestly don't know how this match will go, whether we win, lose, or draw against Peru.

This will be a very stressful match especially when considering how the other matches can go about...

2. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think it seems likely Messi will be left at home for this round, if that's the case its great for us since he's obviously super important. Messi or not Argentina will likely be lose and may experiment, we need to be organized and clinical to try and get something from the game.

3. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    3-1 Argie win

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nice make the statement and get the W!!

6. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    No Messi but other than him it looks like pretty much their A squad. Messi is a big miss for them so it should make it a bit easier for us, but they still have a really good squad.

7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    they are. better team without him

8. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    and we are a better team without James

9. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I would believe that if we were consistent in the Copa America...

Like I wish we played like we did in the two qualifiers right before it and showcased that solid chemistry in the cup days later.

10. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    LMAO

11. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    That's just completely fiction. I'm not saying that James is such a good player that without him we are missing so much, but the fact of the matter is we've been completely shit for all of Rueda's tenure without James. So maybe the reason we have been shit is more about other factors and Rueda but there also isn't any evidence at all that we've been better without James, we simply don't have anyone else who can control the tempo of a game from midfield other then Quintero and he hasn't been playing enough at club to even be at his top form.

12. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    James wins games himself

Messi makes 10 of the best players in the world play hey give the ball to Messi like he is the only player who can do anything.

Also the quality of our team isn't what Argentina's is. Messi is the real coach and if he doesn't like X/Y/Z player they don't get called. if he doesn't like the coach they get fired. If he is having a bad day he is a complete bitch and says I am quitting the NT

13. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Are you saying that James is better then Messi lol? There is a reason all his teammates love him, there isn't a player that speaks poorly of him besides all the gossiping in the news. Messi dragged them almost single handily to the last World Cup, when their whole team and coaching situation was a mess, he brought them to a ton of Copa finals winning the last one and dragged them to a World Cup final playing out of position because it was best for the team. You're really off on this one.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  14. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    joke groups and refs helping.. Argentina without Messi would have done better. Colombia without James wouldn't have qualified to the last 2 World Cups def wouldn't have gotten as far.

15. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    When Messi didn't play they were getting whooped, this can't be serious. Argentina basically were about to not go to the World Cup and Messi scored a hat trick on the last game to get them there barely. He's arguably the best player of all time be serious.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    ----------Ospina/Vargas--

Medina--Mina-Davinson-Tesillo

---------Lerma---Barrios---Mojica--

---Cuadrado-----------------Muriel/Diaz-
    -------------------Falcao-----------------

Similar to what we did against Brazil.
    Hope for a draw but probably will lose 1-0.

17. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    ------Muriel
    Diaz------James----Cuadrado
    ------Barrios-----Alzate
    Mojica-Mina-Davinson-Munoz/Medina

I'd like to see something like this vs Argentina, not sure how much James can play but allow James and Muriel to play highest up. We need a side that can defend and also hold possession, and most importantly we need players who can create their own shot and generate chances with their passing and dribbling. Muriel, James and Diaz will create a lot of chances and Muriel and Diaz can create chances from nothing which allows us to defend with numbers when needed while also having outlets to hurt Argentina. Borre for James might be how Rueda goes, will give us more pressing and work rate but would be missing that midfield link.

ryu79 repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd like to see something like that too but Rueda does not seem to think Muriel is an option at 9. And like the Brasil match I think he will have us playing extra defensive.

19. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Playing Falcao alone up front is the worst defensive and offensive option in this kind of match.

You're probably right, though

villus repped this.
  20. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yup and Rueda will probably do it too, looks like Muriel is likely COVID positive, I'd probably play Morelos ideally for Muriel if he's not available or Borre but he's not ideal as a lone forward if we went that way (we probably won't)

21. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ur missing the point, it was a sarcastic reply to crzd.

lighten up

villus repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Park the bus, specially if we beat Peru. Not sure who would be the lone forward, but yeah, Morelos at least would punish their CBs.

23. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    maybe we'll only lose 1-0 if we're lucky

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Parking the bus seems likely.

As for the latest info:
    It seems like not only will they be missing Messi but they have 3 midfielders that can miss due to yellows and play at Chile which is always chippy/physical.
    Plus they have a good defender out due to Covid.

Factor in they really do not have much motivation to beat us other than maybe all the Copa/post Copa trash talk but that goes both ways for motivation.
    I think we have a really good chance for an ugly 0-0.

25. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ******** man I hope Bolivia and Chile draw while Ecuador beats Peru.

We are seriously ********ed even if this match ends 0-0.