WC Official Argentina vs Mexico thread (r)

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by smd9, Jun 21, 2006.

1. smd9

smd9 Guest

Are you guys ready? this should be a great game i know Mexico is going to play their asses off, and if they do win that will complete their world cup campaign they will conform with beating us. We should not underestimate them they will give their all on the field. Vamos Argentina!!!

2. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    Re: Official Argentina vs Mexico thread

All teams give their all in the knock-out phases.

It will be a hard fought game in the midfield, where Mexico usually plays with 5. The difference will be set up upfront. Hopefully the team comes out without injury problems to face Germany in 4ters.

Argentina 3-0 in 90'.

3. shaf-argentina

shaf-argentina New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Auckland, NZ

3-0 for me too, thanks.

Well, no match is easy starting now, well in our case, no match has been easy since the start. But Mexico havent dun anything spectacular in the tourney so far to concern me, although I am aware of them being a bit o bogey team for us.

4. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

I see this game going to penalty kicks.....

5. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

It's good to hear a humble Argie as they are rare! But I want to see Mexio play balss out we have to shut down Sorin and requelme and possibly Maxi Rodriquez I been keeping my eye on this guy his shots are dangerous so Mexico can't allow him to even make a shot!

6. cordobesenUS

cordobesenUS New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Austin-TX

My call is Argentina 2 Mexico 0. I think Tevez is going to score on this one, mexicos defense is not very good like Hollands, Rafa Marquez played bad, one of the worst performances I have seen by him to this day, he should have gotten a red card today for the hand ball. Hopefully he will repeat that on game day.

7. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006

Uno nunca sabe pero siempre hay que alentar su equipo. I hope we win.

If Argentina looses, my mexican friends would never let me live it down! :p

8. therealt1985

therealt1985 New Member

Jun 3, 2006

dont get ahead of urself to say argentina gonna beat mexico 3:0 iam not saying it cant happen but u remember what they did to brazil in confed cup last year, they are always strong against great team like argentina and brazil. i hope argentina win though. even i dont like argentina i would not want them to get eliminated. this year i would like to a brazil argentina in the final. i think brazil would win as always but if they do beat us that would not a problem i dont want to see the cup going to europe at all, it's better off in argentina's hands.

9. _RusH_

_RusH_ I Think I'm Going Bald

Feb 14, 2006

Would Argentina have been better off losing the match with Holland?
    Beating Mexico now means a likey match with the home team:rolleyes:

I don`t like getting ahead of Mexico but...I can`t help thinking about how tough this is going to be.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/bracket.html

10. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006

Portugal followed by England then Brazil before the final would not be ideal either. This is a World Cup, you need to win all the games if you want to be champion. There are no easy games and no shortcuts. The only exception was Brazil in 2002 ;)

11. _RusH_

_RusH_ I Think I'm Going Bald

Feb 14, 2006

I hear you...but I have not been impressed with Brazil`s or England`s play.
    Germany is another story.

12. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

My only concern about Germany is that refs tend to "incline the field" in favor of the local team ...

Will the "invinsible hands in football" consider 4ters a good enuff stage for the local team? That is the puzzle to solve this time around. Last WC semis seemed to be the objective. :rolleyes:

Lets see how Germany and the refs handle Sweden first ...

13. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu

:cool:

14. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006

I have not seen any blatant bias from referees toward Germany. I expect nothing less than fair and balanced refereeing otherwise it would be a disgrace to football.

We do not have to worry about those external factors, we have to play our best to beat them. It is simple as that. We already kicked the host out in 1990.

Sweden does have a realistic chance of provoking an upset. To be honest Germany had a very weak group and has not faced any strong organised team like Sweden. With Ibrahimovic back they could create many chances.

15. cordobesenUS

cordobesenUS New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Austin-TX

Yeah to tell you the truth, I don't count the Swedes out yet, I thought they played very well and have a similar physical style of playing and they defende very well also, their head is always on the game.But if we do get through mexico and we germany, I'm worried about the refereeing like some of my fellow posters are saying.

16. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

Yep ... there hasn't been ANY NEED to help the hosts ... yet.

I imagine you understand the term "incline the field". It doesn't need to be blatant to happen. But it pushes you into your own box, something that suits the air game of Germany.

Then again, lets hope it won't happen.

17. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
  18. RED_HOT_CHILI_PEPPER

Feb 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I dont know whats wrong with Mexico. They play shi tty against weaker teams but show up and play tough against better teams. Good luck may the better team win.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I think Mexico will be fired up against Argentina, and I expect they will put their best effort. Can they beat us? Doubtful, but I can see a scenario like what happened at Copa America, where they get a goal on a set piece, and then hunker down and make it difficult for us to score. That would be the worst case scenario. If we score first, I think it's over.

20. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

The biggest pro that Mexico has is the 2 months pf preparation prior to the WC. Their physical response is excellent ... saw it against Iran at the end of the 2nd half, and saw it again with 10 against Portugal.

Argentina has the football to defeat Mexico ... should take them on from the go, as the longer the game is not decided, the greater Mexico's chances ... if few.

21. hoss23

hoss23 Member

Mar 3, 2003

Hate to say it, but I can see that (Mexico goal on set piece) as well... hopefully the team will come out with the same energy that it had in the first half against IC and the game against SM.

22. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF

Franz Beckenbauer is honorable enough to make this a fair worldcup. Ref double knockout FTW.

23. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

If you guys score first then it's over for us..

24. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006

I would say it would be scandalous if Germany receives any type of favors from the referees. This is not Italia 90 anymore, half of the globe is watching. We managed to beat the host back then even if we had to pay the price.

Germany will have the support of the crowd, something that we are accustomed to anyway.

This is how I rate the current European teams in this world cup:

1_Holland
    2_Italy
    3_England
    4_Portugal
    5_Germany
    5_Sweden

There is nothing special about this German team. Your usual mechanical players with Ballack in the middle of the park and Klose in front. I would even argue that it is worse than the 2002 team! Obviously it will be a very hard game as Germany has always been tough to beat but certainly a winnable one.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Ballack is world class. Klose is hot right now, he looks like he cannot play but he always gets the ball in the net. They also have solid goalkeeping.

Aside from that, they have the usual German characteristics, strong phisical, fight for every ball, and never give up. I wouldn't underestimate them.

And as far as them getting help from the refs, I hope you're right, but based on historical precedence I am skeptical. If there is a questionable call, I bet it will go their way.