WC Goal Keepers

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by kickinthehead, Sep 13, 2007.

1. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I've translated it.

Many Goalkeeping Errors in the Word Cup

"Years of Neglect"
    The FIFA has not credited the two goals to Vanina Correa. The 1:0 and 11:0 against Germany, which were the beginning and the end of a nightmarish game for the 23-year old, will officially not be counted as goals of the Argentine keeper. Melanie Behringer and Renate Lingor are the names of the two goal scorers. Maybe the FIFA simply felt sorry for Correa who happened to have a black day in the opening game of the Word Cup against the DFB-Team.
    This doesn't change the fact that some goal keepers in the World Cup didn't exactly earn any laurels. The American Hope Solo let the ball slide through her hand just as her colleague Jon Myong Hui from North Korea. England's Rachel Brown also didn't look very good at times.
    "It is really difficult to handle the new balls and to catch them safely, especially when it's raining and the gloves are soft", says the DFB goal keeper coach Michael Fuchs. Furthermore, the 37-year old points to the fact that the tradition of a goal keeper coach is still very young in Women's Soccer. The DFB itself has had this luxury of a goal keeping coach for Nadine Angerer & Co as permanent staff only since March 2007. Previously, they only had several temporary goal keeping coaches off and on.
    "I thought that some of the performances weren't very good, but this is also due to the fact that this position has been neglected for years in Women's Soccer ", says Fuchs. His own contract already runs out in November 2007. The previous coach of VfB-Kepper Raphael Schäfer is, however, more than ready to stay on. "But I don't have a standing reservation for the job", declares the future PE and English College Teacher. Should Germany qualify for the Olympics 2008 in Peking then the extension of his contract should only be a formality.
    Many players are aware of the weaknesses of the diverse goal keepers in this World Cup. Precise long distance shots are frequent these days – and too many of them end up in the back of the net. Hopefully the German Nr. 1. Nadine Angerer won't be prone to this.

2. caesarbear

caesarbear New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    Angerer is the replacement nr. 1 keeper for Germany. I'd say she's going to be tested from range.