WC 2022 - Off Season Fun Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bunge, Nov 20, 2022.

1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Penalties.

I can't stand penalties deciding an important match, but here we go.

I will always root against Brazil. Considering I almost always root for Croatia, this is an easy one.

bunge repped this.
  2. PALO!!! Croatia avanzar!!!!

xtomx repped this.
  3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Man, I love penalties deciding something important! [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]
    (Nah, still don't like it)

bunge repped this.
  4. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    That was incredible.

xtomx repped this.
  5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Blatant handball by Messi. Gets away without a yellow card, because "he's Messi."

NotHelmut and bunge repped this.
  6. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    And that’s why I’m rooting for the Netherlands. That and I tend to root for a team that has never won over a team that has.

xtomx repped this.
  7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is not just handbags, but is a pretty serious issue.
    That was a bad foul and the kick into the bench was awful, that should have been two yellows.
    10 minutes of extra time.

8. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    The Dutch should handle it on the field and put Argentina down to 10 men.

xtomx repped this.
  9. Lots of very tall Dutchmen in the box, but they score on the ground.

Maybe Weghorst is the guy we're gonna sign.

10. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

xtomx repped this.
  11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goldclover and bunge repped this.
  12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The vet just called.
    I had to take the dog to the doggie ER between the games.
    She is ready to be picked up.
    Do I leave the extra time and pick her up or do I wait for 45 minutes or so before I head to the ER?
    Decisions, decisions.

Ah, DVR is my friend.

bunge repped this.
  13. Van Dyke with the biggest save of his career.

14. PALO Argentina!!! Vamos a penales.

bunge repped this.
  15. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    In case any of you haven’t heard, RIP Grant Wahl. Passed away while covering the Argentina/Netherlands game.

Mac97, goldclover and xtomx repped this.
  16. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I initially came at this immediately giving in to speculation and conspiracies, but after a bit more information has been made clearer and some of my own extra research, it is entirely possible that Grant died from "karoshi." Karoshi is just the catch-all Japanese term for "dying from overwork" that hasn't really made it to the west in terms of its impact on workers. Back on Monday Grant had mentioned that he'd been to the medical clinic a couple of times for chest pains and said that it was probably due to stress and a lack of sleep. Those are both the symptoms and causes of karoshi. And one of the outcomes is, unfortunately, sudden cardiac arrest, even among those who would otherwise be considered "healthy."

We still need to wait for a full independent autopsy, suspicion is completely natural given the situation. But whether or not foul play was involved, I think that this is still a moment to at least spread around that you should listen to your body. If you need rest, you will know. If you need to step away, you will know. Your body will tell you. Take care of yourself and put your health as a priority. And don't let anyone or anything force you to not take your own well-being into account.

17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Very curious.
    His brother suspects foul play, but that doesn't make sense.
    Jiggs' explanation makes sense. Add that he reported an upper respiratory infection (why he sought medical attention on Monday) and it appears to be an unfortunate situation.
    As stated, we will hear more in the next few days

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  18. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. In addition to having been ill for a week (or two?), he'd apparently been getting nowhere near enough sleep during the WC. Oddly, he mentioned he was feeling better the day before he died, but overwork and lack of sleep when combined with illness (he thought it was bronchitis) can put incredible strain on the body.

I'll admit my first thought when told about Wahl's death was that it had to be viewed as suspicious, considering his reporting on the appalling issues with this Qatari WC. I don't blame his brother one bit for his initial statement that was made while I assume he was in shock.

It's hard to believe how hard this news hit me, as I've never met or interacted with Wahl in any way, but I felt like I was on the verge of a panic attack last night when I heard of his death.

xtomx, Jiggly_333 and bunge repped this.
  19. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Portugal/Morocco. I’ll be elated if Morocco win but the schadenfreude if Ronaldo wins the World Cup would be hilarious.

goldclover and xtomx repped this.
  20. Senor Velasco

Senor Velasco Member

Jul 30, 2002
    The schadenfreude of him crying after he loses today will be much more satisfying

goldclover, bunge and xtomx repped this.
  21. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Oh, I understand. I feel similarly about Messi.

xtomx repped this.
  22. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I heard about Grant Wahl as well today. Like many I felt he never went very hard against FIFA and U.S. Soccer's bullsh*t and corruption because he was not wanting to lose access to the powers that be but those are very minor issues in the grand scheme of things and wish he would have payed better attention to his health. He clearly ignored every red flag his body was throwing at him it sounds like and I'm with Jiggs, you just gotta pay attention and Grant Wahl could have benefitted greatly from a good dose of Wu Wei but when covering footy is your gig it's pretty hard to do during the friggin' World Cup. I feel bad for his family. That really sucks.

xtomx, Alberto and bunge repped this.
  23. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  24. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That was AWESOME! I noted during the Spain v. Morocco match that the Spanish fans were getting more nervous and frustrated as the match went along being "scared to lose" while the Moroccan fans were partying their asses off laughing, chanting, cheering, smiling,etc and the players themselves from both prospective national teams were very similar to a lesser extent even while it was still 0-0. One was just happy to be there while the other was afraid to lose and in disbelief they hadn't beaten these upstart Moroccans. Today the Portugal match seemed a bit similar but maybe devolved more into frustration and anger while Morocco again was just happy to be there. I'm so happy for them and they are fun to watch going on this Cinderella run. I just hope midnight doesn't come for a LONG while as their determination and work effort seems boundless and bottomless.

EDIT: I also must shamefully admit I enjoyed watching Ronaldo cry.
    [​IMG]

Jiggly_333, goldclover and xtomx repped this.
  25. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I enjoyed Neymar’s tears…

Morocco played a 5-4-1. It’s not fun to watch but it has been effective.

Pennsylvania Dave and xtomx repped this.