WC 2018 Qualifier vs. Spain

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by sempreITALIA, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm not the biggest Montolivo fan these days, but it's still shitty to read that,

The midfielder was stretched off during the draw with Spain last night, coming off worse in a challenge with Sergio Ramos. "AC Milan announces that, during last night’s match with the Italian National team, Riccardo Montolivo suffered an injury to his left knee anterior cruciate ligament,” a statement from the Rossoneri reads.

That others will now need to be used for both Milan and Italy is not such a negative, however.

I did not. Ventura has had, like almost all national team coaches, limited amount of time to get to know and implement his ideas so naturally he was going to try and replicate a system that worked very well this summer. This is especially so in a game vs Spain who would be looking for some revenge for being knocked out of the Euro's. Ventura obviously doesn't know how to use the formation properly, but it's not his formation. He'll change it up and try new ideas during the international break between Nov - March.

2. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Yes, playing at home in front of a sell out crowd, I would have expected more than 29% of the possession in the first half. We didn't press Spain at all. As soon as we did so, they looked shaky. Clearly shows we should have been more aggressive early on.

Rosay repped this.
  3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It reminds me of the Juventus 2-2 Bayern Munich first leg of the UCL last season. Very similar type of game, except Spain didn't take advantage of us sitting back.

4. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its always interesting reading the Italy threads.

Rosay repped this.
  5. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Don't leave us hanging like that, Phat! :)

phat repped this.
  6. thorus

thorus Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    This.

Never understood why teams play so passively against Spain. The moment you start applying pressure, their whole tiki taka (or however it's spelled) scheme falls apart and the defense starts making mistakes right and left.

Rosay, Parcae and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  7. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    not sure what game you were watching. I actually thought Ciro was half decent out there. The game changed with his introduction (and later with Belotti).

for me Pelle and De Sciglio had the two worst performances out there.

I'm still so so on Florenzi. There is some moments where he looks like he has the potential to be world class.. then other moments where you wonder if he could crack a Serie B squad.

Rosay repped this.
  8. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Immobile was more effective than Eder and Pelle combined. Anyone who says otherwise, isn't watching with an honest pair of eyes. Belotti looked even better. Rumors floating around are that Ventura will start both against Macedonia. Obviously Pelle is gone, but I hope that Eder finally sits as well. I'm not sure if I like the idea of Immobile starting. I think he's better off the bench against tired legs, but unless Ventura abandons 3 5 2, they will probably be the starting duo up top.

De Sciglio wasn't great, but Parolo was much worse overall. He was actually the weakest player on the pitch for both teams. And in terms of Florenzi...I don't think he's that great to be honest. Definitely not starting material IMO.

9. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Hi Balotelli

10. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I know right!

11. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Parolo was dust last night. And I liked him in the Euro. Maybe he should be shown the door as well

12. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The problem is bringing on a club coach and that coach having a club mentality. The same was true for Conte. Prandelli tried to change the team from game to game. Lippi pretty much let them play. So the NT coach has little time with his players. Yet with today's technology, the coach cannot communicate his ideas effectively to his players. The biggest problem is Ventura decided to continue Conte's Serie B tactics.

13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Only a problem because he didn't know to train the movements into them. He clearly just thought formation + similar cast + defend would = success and it didn't. Obviously Conte left no memo on how to carry out properly. And spare me the Conte bashing, I already know you don't like his parrucca :)

phat, Parcae and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  14. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If by effective, you mean his work rate, then yes. By that token, Jakerini is also very effective, but you don't like him much. Immobile has a finishers responsibility, and yet his finishing is worse than Jak's.

The approach/tactics also changed by the time he went in. It was more direct than over the top to Pelle.

I don't want a striker in there just because he runs a lot at a shitty defense, just one that finishes.

We have Jak, Candreva, Florenzi and Marchisio when he returns to carry out work!

phat repped this.
  15. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Ventura could use one.

Conte and his training of movements, as if they players were robots. Sad.

phat repped this.
  16. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Just lol from me, Signore :)

17. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Conte is the type of coach I could not stand. I played for a guy like him once, always yelling on the touchline. The idiot did not know half of the stuff he was yelling about (kick the ball to Chris). I use to tell my boys that if I was sitting on the bench and just watching them play, then I was satisfied with what they were doing. I would instruct from time to time but constant coaching (yelling) from the bench was not me.

18. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Aha, a past trauma... Into my office and on the couch Signore...tell me what ails you. I'm a good listener. If that doesn't work then take 3 shots of this

[​IMG]

and call me in the morning

phat and Rosay repped this.
  19. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Just 3 shots? You think that would do anything?

phat and Parcae repped this.
  20. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Just trying to practice the do-no-harm hippocratic oath, but I agree with you, so I'll join you and we'll down the whole bottle.

phat and Falc repped this.
  21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I would not have to call you first thing in the morning then. I just would need to wake you up.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  22. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I really hope we see Jorginho with Verratti in mid. Potential for some very beautiful football.

Rosay repped this.
  23. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #248 totti fan, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Wow at all the Eder hate on here. Apart from the defensive work he was the only guy keeping them in the game in the 1st half.

Anyway quick summary from me:
    Looks like sides are wising up to the way Italy (Conte's sytem) play. Press them high don't allow them time on the ball to play it out of the back. Spain were very aggressive with the press allowing the back three (5 at times) very little time on the ball.

I thought the selections were odd. ie Monty, DDR and Parolo. I'd include a maximum of 2 of those three with a player who is likely to give your more run and movement (eg Bonaventura).

I could understand why he went with Florenzi instead of Candreva. Florenzi gives you better defensive coverage. But thats why you play Parolo next to Candreva so he can stay tucked in to allow Candreva more licence to push forward. Florenzi runs a lot but most of his passes wouldn't hit the side of a barn. He's only really effective going forward when he has lots of space. Parolo was mediocre going forward but you can't expect the Florenzi Parolo combination to pass their way through the Spanish midfield & defence.

The long balls weren't working to Pelle, b/c of a very capable Spanish back 2. But Eder was terrific with the few opportunities he had with zero support.

Back 3 were mostly strong. Some of Romagnoli's passes were a little nervous but good effort nonetheless.

Immobile another player who is only good when he is running into space with the ball in front of him. Surprised how much space Spain gave him in the 2nd half. Thank Eder who often was able to beat players on the dribble and drew the extra defender to himself.

Belotti looked confident. I expect he'll get more playing time v Macedonia esp. given Pelle may have unofficially retired.

Oh and DDR played well and is an integral part of this team.

Rosay repped this.
  24. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Totally agree on Eder, the hate he always gets is unwarranted. He is a tricky player and the only one that seems to dribble besides Candreva and sometimes Florenzi

gumbacicc and totti fan repped this.
  25. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It's reverse. Conte's 352 was a high pressing system. Ventura's had them sit back and that allowed Spain to set up as they prefer, right at the middle of the pitch. Ventura's instructions were failing until we were down 1-0 and then forced to attack. There was no more high-press by Spain because there was no more sit back by us.

Montolivo's selection is always odd.

They didn't. It was taken.