WC 2018 Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea' started by Jtsmith1, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Germany may not win the World Cup, but they aren't going to finish behind Mexico. Germany's B (if not C) team beat Mexico like a drum at the Confederations Cup last year. The A team will make mincemeat of them.

2. Noahgghhujjjnbb

Chelsea
    Jan 14, 2018
    Probably not maybe you are right however i just i have feeling one of Brazil or Germany is going out in the round of 16.I do feel that they are destined to face each other again.Maybe this is the world cup where Mexico wins the group and does better than expected.

3. Noahgghhujjjnbb

Chelsea
    Jan 14, 2018
    Brazil beat mexico 2-0 in confederations cup in 2013 but in 2014 they drew 0-0.Germany also usually does not good in their second game this time it is against Sweden.Germany beat mexico 4-1 in confed cup in 2017 but in 2018 it could be a draw i sense a pattern.

4. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    True, but they usually play great in their first game. That will be against Mexico. :eek:

Kamtedrejt and Californian81 repped this.
  5. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    ehh what? no my danish friend,,

6. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany always plays crap in friendlies. So making an assumption about how Germany will perform in a tourney is laughable. In 2014 they drew Poland 0-0 and Cameroon 2-2 who got thrashed in Brazil.

Those players have 70-80 games per season including the world cup so why would they go and try to overrun Spain now in a game thats totally unimportant? All they are trying to do is not getting injured and put in a performance good enough not to lose as a team or to lose their starting spots.

If you want to find a weakness then thats longterm founded and it is the internationally inexperienced fullbacks with Hector and Kimmich. Lahm just isnt there anymore who was insurmountable on whichever side he played

Kamtedrejt and elviejomen repped this.
  7. Kung

Kung Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Zlatan really shouldn't play for us. You do know that even during his prime we won more matches without him? That include games against Spain and the Netherlands.

Trust me Sweden will be hard to beat during the world cup.

8. Kung

Kung Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Btw for the neutral fan I do hope Sweden vs Germany will be as nice when we met the last time during WC 2014 qualification.

When Sweden went away and were 4-0 behind and the end result was 4-4 the last goal by Sweden scored in extra time.

Or when Sweden went from a 2-1 lead at home to a 3-5 loss.

9. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If we go by what happens in history and talk about patterns like the world champ going out in the first round ,or the confed cup winner never winning the world cup the next year , then yes Germany should not win this World Cup . But these patterns are always there to be broken , like Germany being the first World Cup winner in winning the World Cup in 2014 in South America .
    So that’s all bull ....

This year will be a very tough and close competition , it will take some luck and the small differences that will win this tourney .

There are about 4/5 teams that can win it .
    Spain , Brasil , France and Germany . Maybe Argentina , England and Belgium with some out side chances .

Germany has more depth in their team then any other team and maybe that will
    Make the difference as the tourney progresses.

Spain is still in a transition between the old and the new guys ... but look very solid .

France have some amazing players but it does look like they are missing a leader on the field .

Brasil look very exciting this year but also might lack a little depth in their team . If one or two players might get suspended or injured it might be vital to their success.

Well England on paper and recent success I always say don’t write them off , but some how they never really perform .

Argentina don’t think they have it to go all the way ....

Looking at these teams there will be a few big clashes as from the quarterfinals and winning three big games in a row to win the World Cup will take a monstrous effort.

Germany much will depend on their goal scoring form . 2014 they scored 18 goals in 2016 they just couldn’t score enough goals. I think defensive they are pretty good , but it will depend on the form of muller , werner , Sane and Reus able to score in difficult situations .

So it will be a very close tourney and all we can hope for that who ever wins tht it will be a fair and tht the best team of that month will take it.

Discipline , and depth over 7 games will definitely have an advantage .

10. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    I think Portugal, Colombia and Uruguay too.

11. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Apart from our front men , kimmich , Kroos khedira , Gundogan, oezil Boateng and Hummels are always good for a goal as well . If muller can score like previous World Cups 4 or 5 goals Germany will be difficult to stop

12. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don’t think so ...the euros always had a surprise team win - Greece Dänemark and Portugal . But World Cup normally the best team pulls it off .
    Portugal Uruguay and Colombia are just to weak to pull it off .

13. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Ok, dont agree.
    But if you mention England, i say Colombia Uruguay Portugal.

Kamtedrejt, TheHitman47 and BorisG repped this.
  14. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fair enough [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

HansWorldCup repped this.
  15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Germany would not overrun Spain, a more talented side which has defined international football the past dozen years, even if every single player gave a 110% effort.

16. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No one ever said they will over run them . Point is it was a friendly and both teams will up their concentration , fitness ,and give it their 100% in the World Cup . Spain might have more talent but that does not guarantee them
    A win against Germany in the world
    Cup .

Spain had lots of luck when they win the World Cup in 2010 . I agree that they were the best team either way , but they where not totally unbeatable. Winning must if their games by 1-0 .

This time around Spain are not as well played in as 2010, so for them to go all the way will be tough. Even with luck.

If things go Spain’s way they will have to beat Portugal and possibly meet and beat Argentina , Germany and France or Brasil .

17. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually the post I quoted says exactly that, why would Germany want to overrun Spain in a friendly, as though it's just a matter of turning it on. Spain dominated all their matches in WC10 but lack of firepower kept the scorelines narrow, the matches themselves they outclassed everyone, including Germany.

It's difficult as it's for everyone, but Spain are main contenders for a reason.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  18. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I would say Spain are part of the main contenders but not THE main contender !

19. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that the big reason I don't expect Germany to crash out in the group stage like 3 of the 4 previous defending champs (btw: how counterintuitive is it that this has become a trend now in the 32-team World Cups, and not back when WC finals were smaller and the groups logically more competitive?) is that Joachim Löw has understood the need to renovate even in the midst of success, making full use of the Confederations Cup to that end (and winning it anyways :D ). The cardinal sin of France '02, Italy '10 and Spain '14 was the retention of too many players who were long in the tooth and past it.

Kamtedrejt, BorisG and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  20. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed .... also don’t think Germany will Crash out first round . They can beat any team out there at this stage . They have the quality to make it all the way . As said it will come down to the finer details in the end . Discipline , fitness and concentration . Germany have always come prepared to tournaments , and they will certainly do so again .
    In 2014 they had a few injuries and improved as the tourney went on. I wouldn’t write them off so soon yet.
    Germany’s one advantage was always their attitude and fighting spirit. They often went far into the tournament not being a very quality filled team., and Germany can be as good as the 2014 team this years around. They certainly have the players to match the 2014 team, so no reason for them not to make the semis yet again .

21. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wondering about England though .... Every tourney I say don’t write them off , and yet every time they crash out. But I do believe they have the players to make it to the semis and then anything is possible . But yes I do think so every time and every time I am wrong [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].
    There could
    Be a match up between England and one this groups teams in the QF .

22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I read a long time ago that keeping the same defense virtually unchanged four years later is what has done many a defending champion. I believe it's a rule of thumb that still holds.

WC98 Brazil: Taffarel - Cafu - Aldair - Baiano - Roberto Carlos
    WC02 France: Barthez - Thuram - Desailly - Lebouf - Lizarazou
    WC06 Brazil: Dida - Cafu - Lucio - Juan - Roberto Carlos
    WC10 Italy: Buffon - Zambrotta - Chiellini - Cannavaro - Criscito
    WC14 Spain: Casillas - Arbeloa - Ramos - Puyol - Alba

The names in bold were important to the WC-winning campaign. Brazil in WC98 performed best as they renovated their defensive line.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  23. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    How many were start players for Mexico against Iceland ? (start players for world cup ofc)

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    With Osorio as manager you never ever know.
    He may even do something like start a different lineup every match of the World Cup.

Philip J. Fry and Paul Calixte repped this.
  25. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Haha ok!