WC 2018 Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea' started by Jtsmith1, Dec 1, 2017.

1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @HansWorldCup

Just wanted to make clear: Great performance by your lads! Pushed ours to the limits as always. Tough little nation and team you can be proud of!

Skandal!!! repped this.
  2. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Thanks for the kind words!
    After all you deserved it.

Skandal!!! repped this.
  3. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Good performance from Sweden today. However, their biggest flaw was their midfield. Germany could easily go from the midfield to Sweden's box within 3-5 passes. Also, they were lacking a fast striker. When you have 1 man advantage and the other team is almost attacking with all their players, you need a fast striker... I think Mexico will beat Sweden and Germany will qualify in second. My doubt is if Brazil goes 1st or 2nd (we might draw against Serbia).

LGRod and JJV1994 repped this.
  4. Californian81

Californian81 Member

Chivas
    Mexico
    Oct 26, 2017
    Besides this back and forth, I was rooting hard for Sweden. What a heart breaking loss. I was gutted after the game, and I'm not even Swedish. Yes, Mexico had benefits for a tie, but I still have no ill feelings towards Swedish team. Just happens to be in our group.

Mexico handled Germany and South Korea brilliantly so far, let's see how Mexico closes out its final game.

So far, Mexico seem to be a class ahead of Sweden, but Sweden are a very capable side and I'm worried we might lose.

5. Neymadres

Neymadres Member+

Jan 29, 2013
    So CaL
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Vamos Mexico! 3-1 over Sweden

6. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It would just be Mexico's luck if even the year that they slay a giant in the group stages to advance in 1st, they end up losing to Brazil in the knockouts before getting to that 5th game

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Or if they even failed to qualify out of the group after losing to Sweden.

poorvi, HansWorldCup and Rosebud repped this.
  8. I was looking but couldn find it.
    How many teams with 6 points failed to make it out of their group in WC history?

9. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol I wanna agree, but they usually have enough to luck to consistently get to that 4th game, so still losing to a giant in that 4th game feels even more like their destiny to me.

If this was russia, then we'd be talking. My Father's NT are masters of buying into their own hype only to shit the bed before the job is done; like they did in 2012 & 2014 lol

10. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm guessing very, very few if any. That said, there has also been many changes in points and how many teams go through. The current system has only been implemented since 1998. Until 1994 you still had 4 teams that could make the 2nd round as a third placed team in their group and the first time the match winner got 3 points rather than two.

Fun Fact: In 1982 Italy became the first team to advance from the first round without winning a game, drawing all three. They also won the tourney that year.

poorvi repped this.
  11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't remember where I heard it, but the only time it's happened is when Algeria got shanked in '82.

Chile repeated that feat in '98.

Cris 09 repped this.
  12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #562 Cris 09, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    I think the reason we haven't seen it happen more often is only because a three-way tie is simply extremely rare.

In 1994 had two three-way ties and a four-way tie.

We had a three way tie in Group D with Nigeria, Bulgaria and Argentina - all had 6 points. Argentina advanced as one of the best third placed teams. If it had been in today's format, the Argies would not have qualified.

Group F had Belgium, Saudi Arabia and Belgium all ended with 6 points and again, all teams went to the next round.

In Group E, all four teams in the group finished with 4 points. Rep of Ireland, Mexico, Italy and Norway. Mexico, Ireland and Italy all made it to the next round. Italy as a third best placed team.

poorvi repped this.
  13. In '94 Mexico, Italy, Ireland and Norway were on a 4-way tie with 4 points each. Norway didn't make it.

Cris 09 repped this.
  14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, I edited my post above after I found all those "ties" in 1994. The issue there is that 3rd placed teams usually made it to the next round if they did well enough. That is no longer an option after the expansion.

poorvi repped this.
  15. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Awful to think not only can we not rest some players for the final game, we have to play to win it. What awful luck. That being said, we all thought this was going to be the do or die game for Mexico and it still is.

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mexico advances with a tie.

poorvi repped this.
  17. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am not a 100% sure about this: but up till the 1994 WC, a win was worth 2 pts. FIFA later increased it to 3 to incentivize teams to attack. And the average goals per game also increased as a result of this.

The fun thing about this group is that if Korea beat Germany and Mexico beat Sweden, there can still be a 3 way tie between Germany, Sweden and Korea. All of them will be on 3 points. Its an extremely unlikely scenario.

PS: Great to see your post Cris. :)

Cris 09 repped this.
  18. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    “Mexico has to play to win” just means they can’t sit back and hold off the draw for 90 minutes.

Cris 09 repped this.
  19. IFKgötet1

IFKgötet1 Member

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    Kom igen Sverige!!!! Ge aldrig upp!!!! Vi kan vinna!!!

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Quick question:

Who advances if the scores are

Germany 1-0 South Korea

Sweden 1-0 Mexico

putting three teams on 6 points with the same number of goals scored (3) and allowed (2)?

Thanks in advance!

21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

fairplay standings then coin toss

TGO repped this.
  22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany and Sweden as I believe they will have the better goals scored ration in games played between each other 2-2 as opposed to Mexico who just have 1. It would be yellow cards to determine who wins the group between the two.

TimB4Last repped this.
  23. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    No, pretty sure yellow cards would only come into play if the two teams had drawn. Germany won head to head vs. Sweden, so they would win the group.

TimB4Last, Paul Calixte and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  24. ACooper

ACooper Member

May 20, 2009
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That group was so tight that one goal more or less in any particular game could have brought the last placed team to the top and the winners to the bottom. Imagine it was decided by drawing of lots? Would that even be televised?

25. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    congrats to south korea but not a special performance by them. germany were crap. they missed all their chances and gave south korea all the space in the world late in the game. if germany was playing a good team this should have ended 3 or 4 nil.