WC 2018 Group B: Spain Portugal Iran Morocco

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco' started by +PL+, Dec 1, 2017.

1. pogoss

pogoss Member

Wydad Casablanca
    Morocco
    Jan 15, 2017
    Japan
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    nothing surprising, they have always been making strong players especially in the midfield.

2. Salas033

Salas033 Member

Juventus
    Dec 15, 2017
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    #2052 Salas033, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    I don't feel as safe with him as I do with Hakimi and he did make a few bad passes against Serbia but I think that he is good enough to be a sub. We REALLY need our full strength defense (Hakimi, Benatia, Saiss, Dirar) in the WC though especially against Spain and Portugal because small mistakes can cost a lot at that level.

Renard wants Left and Right Backs that never get tired and that can go up and down non stop for 95 minutes, and it seems that the only two that fulfill his criteria on the left are Hakimi and Mendyl. I really don't think that we will see a change in that area. He didn't even like Lazaar when Lazaar was at his best in Serie A.

3. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Yeah, i just saw it. Good work, and very interesting post too.

It kind of just goes over peoples heads though.

I find it weird how one set of fans can look at their result, and take nothing from it because 'starters were out' yet.. look at another team, who won.. and claim they are essentially shit and can be taken out.

Whatever, we will what happens at the WC.

Truth be told, i am not worried about Portugal. They are a team who reserves their best for tournaments/when it matters. Portugal has never truly been an elite 'friendlies' team.

NewLaw83 and Nani_17 repped this.
  4. Salas033

Salas033 Member

Juventus
    Dec 15, 2017
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    Man I feel bad for Egypt. What a cruel way to lose. They played a perfect 92 minutes.

On the other hand, without being particularly impressive yesterday, Portugal showed why they are European champions. Part of being a great team is having the ability to come back at the last minute and win even in a bad day. Ronaldo's performances these last few weeks are kind of scary..

5. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal with out 4 starters yesterday, and 4 very important starters

6. UnitsE3

UnitsE3 Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Spain will sing like a bird lonely on the roof at this group.
    As the other three teams having an equal chance of making it, all these games between these teams it will be end in a very close affairs, it needs a bit of luck too also depends on who's causing Spain's more trouble.

7. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah far from impressive by Portugal, but they are showing a penchant for late game goals over the last few years. Also the statistics do indicate that the end score is more a reflection of the game, rather than if Egypt had won.

I won't have a chance to watch Morocco until tomorrow night, but I'm looking forward to it. Though in truth these friendlies never really change my outlook much.

8. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Which side would you guys say is more physical, Morocco or Tunisia?

9. MarocFAN

MarocFAN Member

May 18, 2006
    Morocco/Germany
    #2059 MarocFAN, Mar 24, 2018
    Tunesia. IMO Tunisia is the Italy of North Africa. At least when it comes to matches against their neighbors they play Catenacio because Morocco and Algeria are technicaly stronger.

Morocco's June friendlies:
    4th vs Slovakia in Switzerland
    9th vs Estonia in Talinn

10. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #2060 Mani, Mar 24, 2018
    Yeah, they were a very rough side. This was the first time since the Sweden match in 2015 that I saw an opponent matching the physicality of our players. I’m just glad that none of our players picked up an injury. One of their players though, who plays in Saudi Arabia, was injured and Saudis, being typical Saudis , are spamming and cursing at our players on social media pages. :laugh:

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  11. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the Italy of Africa is Egypt. Strong tournament team. Tunisia are more like the Greece of Africa, but yeah, they are definitely more physical than Morocco.

goku repped this.
  12. MarocFAN

MarocFAN Member

May 18, 2006
    Morocco/Germany
    Egypt would never play with their whole team in defence.

13. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Mendyl is very generous on the pitch but there's a little problem with him :
    1- He can't defend
    2- He can't attack

Defensively he is very often late against his opponent and he sprints to compensate, but it's hit or miss, I don't feel safe with his defensive interventions.
    Offensively, he is always going upfront but he doesn't have the technical quality to give a good cross, a good pass, make a good dribble...It's all about speed, pushing the ball forward and trying to get it back.
    Overall he lacks technical abilities and game intelligence, he is not even good enough for Lille and that's not a surprise.

Hakimi is decent but I would not be surprised if Renard uses Amrabat as left back. Against Spain and Portugal he might go for a defence with three man + Dirar and Amrabat on the flanks.

Salas033 and MarocFAN repped this.
  14. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Historically Tunisia, but Morocco does have some solid physical players now.

Benatia, Dirar ( underated beast), Amrabat, El Ahmadi and Belhanda are all good and strong athletes.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  15. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Neither does Italy.

16. Fataliste

Fataliste Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Fez
    Egypt under cuper maybe, but historically it was Tunisia.

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't know if it was the rainy pitch, or the fact that Iran was also missing some of its stronger, physical players, such Ezatolahi, Dejagah and Taremi, alongside PAG and Hosseini, or if it was just how strong Tunisia are physically, but this was indeed the first time since Ibra and company outmatched Iran physically that I saw a side that seemed to pose problems for Iran physically as well.

As for the Shojaie incident, I hope the Tunisian player is alright. That was a bad tackle and while unintentional, it was the one blemish on an otherwise fine performance by Shojaie against Tunisia.

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I had seen Tunisia before, including in a friendly against Iran in 2012, and I knew they were strong physically. But they outmatched Iran in that department and seemed to out-muscle an Iranian team which usually doesn't get out-muscled by anyone. Now, we were missing some of our stronger, physical, players but Tunisia just looked physically stronger than I expected.

19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Once Mskani returns to Tunisia's squad, I expect them to do well in Russia. They are capable of getting results against the likes of England and Belgium. And they are better than Panama. Indeed, as much as CAF fans generally underestimate Tunisia, they are still one of the best hopes for CAF to have a side in the R-16.

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    This is pretty much the full match video for Morocco's friendly against Tunisia at home.

This is the highlights from Tunisia's match against Algeria in the last AFCON.

21. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    fwiw...
    Spain have struggled in their opening matches of recent major tournaments:
    Euro 2016: 1-0 v Czech Republic (gol scored in 87')
    World Cup 2014: 1-5 v Netherlands
    Euro 2012: 1-1 v Italy
    World Cup 2010: 0-1 v Switzerland

22. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Not only that, but, all i hear is how Spain is going to run over Portugal.. this is a baseless statement.

Spain is not what they were during their 3 straight championships 08-12

Portugal has gotten better, and now knows what it takes to win a title.

Euro 2004: Portugal 1-0 Spain
    WC 2010: Portugal 0 -1 Spain (David Villa offside goal.. no VAR in '10)
    Friendly 2010: Portugal 4-0 Spain
    Euro 2012: Portugal 0-0 Spain (Spain won in PK's)

Where everyone is getting this idea that Spain is some superior team in comparison to Portugal is beyond my understanding.

Sure, Spain may very well win the game, but, it isnt going to be easy.

Nani_17 and unclesox repped this.
  23. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    to keep it some what relevant, taking into consideration the most recent match up in Euro 2012, where Portugal lost in PK's

Line ups are are follows:
    Portugal
    Rui Patricio
    Bruno Alves
    Pepe
    Coentrao
    Veloso
    Moutinho
    Joao Pereira
    Nani
    Meireles
    Ronaldo
    Hugo Almeida

Spain
    Casillas
    Alvaro Arbeloa
    Pique
    Ramos
    Alba
    Busquets
    D.Silva
    Iniesta
    Xabi Alonoso
    Xavi
    Negredo

Subs:
    Nelson Oliveira on for Almeida
    Custodio on for Veloso
    Varela on for Meireles

Fabregas on for Negredo
    Navas on for Silva
    Pedro on for Xavi

Returnees:
    Portugal - likely 5
    Spain - likely 8

24. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have always found that most opinions are grounded in wishful thinking rather than a rational view of things. The truth is, everyone and their grandparents and family dog hate Portugal(Ronaldo), so you never really get a completely objective opinion.

25. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal has started slow too. So I think this will be a wash between both of them if you ask me.

WC 2010: 0-0 vs. Ivory Coast
    Euro 2012: 0-1 vs. Germany
    WC 2014: 0-4 vs. Germany
    Euro 2016: 1-1 vs. Iceland