Pre-match: WC 2014 (quartas): Brasil x Colômbia, 4 de Julho de 2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Friday, July 4, 2014. 4pm Eastern time, 1pm Pacific time.
    Sábado, 4 de Julho de 2014. 12pm horário de Brasília.

[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

Match 57, Estádio Governador Plácido Castelo (Estádio Castelão), Fortaleza.

[​IMG]

With the drama and tension of the 3-2 PK shootout victory after a 1-1 scoreline against Chile now history, Brazil continues its participation in the 2014 World Cup's knockout round as it faces Colombia - in its first-ever World Cup quarterfinal appearance - who defeated Uruguay 2-0 on June 28 at Maracanã.

This quarterfinal confrontation is the first World Cup encounter between these two South American teams.

Last match:
    Brazil 0, Colombia 0 (10/15/2008, 2010 World Cup qualifying).

Brazil and Colombia have had 3 straight 0-0 draws; all were World Cup qualifying matches. The last time these two teams had a winner/loser was on 09/07/2003, when Brazil, as the visiting team, defeated Colombia 1-2 with goals by Ronaldo and Kaká.

The two teams have otherwise managed to avoid each other in every Copa América from 1999 to 2011, and it was precisely in a Copa América match that Colombia last defeated Brazil (0-2 in the 1991 edition; it may be noted that in that tournament, the two teams played twice and Brazil won the other match by the same score).

2. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    We have to score first IMO. Colombia has scored 1st in all of there matches, it would be interesting to see how they react when down a goal.

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Ombak, you wrote this post in another thread, but I'm going to answer you here.

I'm not sure about these Colombian full-backs, but I do think that overall, Colombia will present us a tougher challenge than Chile for the following reasons:

1. Colombia has been more of a goalscorer so far - Chile scored 5 goals in the group stage; Colombia scored 9.
    2. Colombia has shown better defense - 2 goals allowed in the group stage vs. 3 goals allowed by Chile in the first 3 matches; and, in the round of 16, Colombia has a clean sheet, whereas Chile allowed 1 goal.
    3. Coaching: José Pékerman is one of the better South American managers in recent time. Under him, Argentina went through a mini-golden age in youth/junior tournaments, and with him, they played their best soccer in the World Cup stage arguably since 1986. They did not lose a single match in Germany 2006 and only through PKs did the Argentines ultimately fall. Jorge Sampaoli deserves respect for what he has done, but pound-for-pound, Pékerman is a superior coach with strong tactical acumen.
    4. Players: Vargas and Aranguiz are very good; but, Jaime Rodriguez, who is now leading the tournament with 5 goals, has shown he is a force to be reckoned with. At 22, he has the poise of a veteran.

Still, I have confidence in Brazil - but the Colombians are going to be the toughest opponent so far. I don't know how good their goalkeeper is, but the fact Ochoa isn't Colombian does give me some relief.
    ;)

4. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    #4 XaviandXabi, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    I asked this question in the other thread and didn't get an answer.

Does anyone think Felipao might move D.Luiz up to Gustavo's spot and add Dante? He did bring Henrique for a reason, too.

5. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I doubt it. I think we will see Fernandinho and Paulinho. Scolari might bring in Ramires though like he did versus Mexico.

6. arun10

arun10 Member

May 31, 2005
    I think we will see Henrique in that spot.

7. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    It's like every match so far has been grudge match. Anyway Colombia is a much better team then chile. They have a great defense and offense. Today's match does not give me confidence that we could win the world cup. Colombia is not joke and will press us hard. At this point I am not sure what to think. Scolari tactics has been poor and his subs. If we do lose to Colombia I will never hear the end of it from my Colombian girlfriend and her family. Lol

8. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    The Spanish word I have for this match is tengo miedo. Man we need 100% from everybody.

9. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The match today and the emotions after really hit me as too how much pressure is on this team. I know it would be bad but damn. JC was in tears even before we started the penalty shoot-out. Players are crying left and right after the PK shoot-out and we are only in the 2nd round.

10. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil will need to attack through the middle as Colombia's speed will nullify the flanks. This is where Colombia is vastly superior to Chile, or any other team Brazil have seen in this tournament so far. I don't think Brazil is really built to attack people in this manner with the issues at striker, and that the two playmakers (Neymar and Oscar) operate first in wide areas.

Felipao's designed this team to counter-attack into space, primarily down the flanks, and this plays right into Colombia's strengths. A world class striker would give this Colombian defense real problems, but Brazil don't have anyone like this. The center mids don't bomb through long shots either. Only Fernandinho or Hernanes would really even look for this.

This is going to be a very difficult match for Brazil to win.

11. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Sounds like it could be Hulk's redemption game. He needs one after this Chile game.

12. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    1 thing to keep in mind is the opponents they faced:
    Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan, and an imploded and Suarez-less Uruguai

13. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    disagree, I thought he played well

14. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    So did I but missing the PK and causing the equalizer was tough to watch. and I still am not convinced it was a clear cut hand ball. That angle doesn't prove much for me.

Redshift repped this.
  15. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ESPN broadcast had a great overhead angle that clearly showed the ball striking his bicep. It was the correct call.

I thought Hulk responded well to being jeered and was one of the few Brazilian players who didn't look like he was crapping his pants. He was making an honest effort.

16. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well its gonna be a very close game since 1970 all our quarterfinals have been by 1 goal encounters and this one will be the same!!

What we have to go after their 'golden boys' Yepes and Perea!! We may not have the strongest team, but we have young fresh legs to wear those 2 retirees down!!

17. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    dunno if he will but it sounds like a good idea to me. Could also bench Hulk and add Hernanes in the middle, why are we starting two wingers when we already have Marcelo and Daniel?

18. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    fyi - Perea did not make the roster of 23 ;) Zapata (AC Milan) is who plays next to Yepes.

19. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Damn I was busy thinking about players that should've been at the Cup...including Zapata's teammate Robinho(even though both of them did not have good seasons at Milan)

But I still say Colombia has not been tested and wonder when the chips are down and things dont go to plan can they bounce back(like many questioned Brazil)

20. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Scolari made the statement that he wished Chile didn't qualify cause they were so pesky to play against, but I'm very glad that Paraguay didn't qualify, cause besides Mexico they've been a pain in our ass for a while!!

21. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You can't really compare Colombia's scoring and defense capabilities to Chile's though. Chile had a much tougher group then Colombia.

Not discrediting anything from Colombia but it's a bit of a stretch to say they are vastly better then Chile.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  22. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Uruguay showed guts and toughness against England and which managed to defeat Italy. Whatever we say about the Italians being down to 10 men and Suarez, it's not easy to defeat Italy under any circumstances. And Colombia defeated Uruguay relatively easily.

It's true Chile faced tougher opponents, but I'll even go as far to say that Spain was deflated by the time it faced Chile thanks to the beating they took from Holland and a fractured locker room.

In any case, I'm not going to underestimate Colombia.

23. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #23 Redshift, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    Tactically, I'm not sure if Colombia is going to destroy the flow of the match as effectively as Chile did. Their game plan will probably revolve around playing their own game and letting their skill and technique make the difference. They are a balanced side and should be very tough.

On a bad day we could concede two goals (or more, in which case, it's almost certainly over). But on a better day, we can probably hold them to one. So we just have to figure out a way to score two. Colombia have a good defense, but Uruguay had opportunities. We need to take ours.

The key will be not allowing them a goal early or very late in the match if it's still tied at nill-nill (which is pretty unlikely). I'd like to take a one goal margin into half-time and put in a second on the other side of the break. Another important thing, which is more under our control, is that we can't bunker down on a one goal lead ala Mexico, which had the Netherlands on the ropes but lost the game with Herrera's cowardly defensive tactics. We need to try to get the second goal.

24. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We also need to be prepared to make full use of those water breaks as a tempo tecnico if they're going to be given.

25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Scolari is going to revert to his old Libertadores self.