Post-match: WC 2014 (oitavas): Brasil x Chile, 28 de Junho de 2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Big discussions going on right now on ESPN Brasil LIVE. Felipão called a handful of journalists that he trusts ( none from TV Globo, mind you), to get things off his chest. PVC and Juca Kfouri were 2 of those journalists, and they are reporting now on Linha de Passe that, though they can't convey every thing that was said due to loyalty to Felipão and to their brand of work, that:

- He knows that the team is playing like shit, that there are technical and tactical issues but most of all, that there is a BIG emotional crisis. The players can't handle the heat and Felipão felt that little to no support comes from our own media (unlike the Uruguayan media for example, PVC said it himself that they went to intevriews and stuff with uruguayan shirts and bought the idea that Suárez never bit anyone, fighting with anyone who dare say anything different), that the "Fred penalty" was discussed for a week while Robben's lasted for 10 minutes, that Brazil is not the only big NT struggling with supposedly "weaker" teams, etc etc.

In short: "We know that there are lots of things we have to work on, we only have 4 days to deal with them, and we would like your help to at least get a better atmosphere to work with".

Oh boy.

Redshift repped this.
  2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    While it's bad that this is what it's come to it's 1. Not entirely surprising considering the pressure and 2. Very important that it is being addressed. Hopefully it's addressed in the right way overall - not just with this meeting but with the players of course and hopefully it means we see a difference due to it.

3. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Felipao needs to a special guest speaker and do what the Eagles i think did in having a Navy Seals guy talk and help train the players. I know we can't get a Navy Seal but something like that.

4. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Indeed. The Brazillian staff has a psychologist, make good use of her... Though I can say from my own experience, that mental and emotional injuries heal waaay slower than physical ones. They have a lot to do in the next days, now we can see why Felipão allowed everyone to go to their homes and meet their families yesterday, they are trying to mend those wounds as fast as possible.

5. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This tends to confirm Michael Ballack's analysis.

6. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They can call this guy:

[​IMG]

" Tira essa camisa amarela porque você é muleque!!!"

7. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I understand Felipao's angle here. I don't understand how everything would be leaked including where they ate lunch and that there were 6 journalists there without Felipao wanting this info in the media..

8. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think he needs to draw on the players' own experience. Throughout that penalty shootout, they felt what it's like to be eliminated. I'm sure they played through every scenario and permutation in their head. They've also felt the tremendous joy of moving forward. They need to harness that experience. Both to see that the world won't end if they lose, and that it can be theirs if they win. I tend to think that they'll be strengthened by the new life the travaço has given them.

9. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Another thing that Felipão pointed out is that Neymar is the most fouled player in the competition (one more foul than Robben). I think it was 14 or something. While this is routine for Neymar, it's question-inducing that this stat wasn't discussed before on the media.

10. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's an indictment of the failure of Felipao's own PR strategy. He has a large microphone and audience, he should use it.

11. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Legend.

12. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    One more thing I just remembered that PVC said in the beginning: They asked Felipão what the heck Oscar was doing playing wide, Felipão said that his order was for him to play on the flanks WHEN WE ARE DEFENDING, to offer extra cover for our SBs, but when we are ATTACKING, he should assume a playmaking role.

This of course, is not what we are seeing.

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My bad redshift, I moved my post since it was in the wrong thread... but either way they're a little off-topic so it's not big deal. I probably should stop derailing the other thread.

14. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #239 Bakaman, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    Now I will wait, certainly ESPN will put a video about this Linha de passe, so w ecan analyse the finer details that eluded my attention/memory.

EDIT: BINGO

http://espn.uol.com.br/video/422357...ebate-questao-emocional-da-selecao-brasileira

http://espn.uol.com.br/video/422351_arnaldo-ribeiro-o-felipao-gosta-de-inimigos-imaginarios

http://espn.uol.com.br/video/422352...-parceria-entre-imprensa-e-selecao-brasileira

http://espn.uol.com.br/video/422355...a-de-luiz-gustavo-para-jogo-contra-a-colombia

^ Those are the ones about the "meeting" and what was discussed there. It's not everything though. One more interesting point: Felipão admitted that " if needed, I won't discard teh idea of playing without a centroavante (number 9)"

15. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Time for the media of Brasil to get behind the team as well as the fans. It has to louder than ever at Fortaleza!

16. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Fortaleza. Is it gonna be super hot on Friday?

17. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Alves scored that own goal, which ushered Maicon to replace him on defense since the reserves were winning 2 x 1

18. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Hey think about this though, our Media and our fans are being horrible to our own National Team, we're doing he usual OMG HE SUCKS GET HIM OUT, while all of the other teams do have a very supportive media and fan base.

You see the Germans writing articles of how they will win the Cup, you see the Uruguayan media saying Suarez didn't bite anybody, you see Portugal coming home and the crowd waiting for them, you see Chile getting home to a warm reception. All while Brazilians keep getting the shit treatment from our own people.

Hey even here we see it all the time, most flip flop between new tries, and lets do different things and we are bad etc instead of supporting the team we have. Our team is not a piece of shit, it's actually one of the better teams in the tournament, and still the favorite to win it all.

19. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm just going by what I read in Lance:

"Na segunda parte da atividade, o treinador fez nova mudança. Pela primeira vez, Maicon ganhou uma oportunidade e Daniel Alves foi para os reservas. Como mostrou o LANCE!Net, o setor gera enorme preocupação. O lateral reserva, entretanto, não teve uma boa atuação. Além de ter marcado um gol contra ao tentar tirar bola alçada para área, o jogador desperdiçou uma oportunidade dentro da área."

http://www.lancenet.com.br/selecao/Insatisfeito-Felipao-muda-titular-coletivo_0_1163883683.html

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Do you think when they say reserve fullback, they are referring to the one on the reserve team?

21. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #246 Redshift, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    No.

I noted that ambiguity too. But the "entretanto" suggests they are talking about Maicon. There would be no need for a "however" in the sencence unless they were trying to contrast Maicon's later performance with Alves' prior performance. Still, it's bad copy editing. It wouldn't have made it past me.

Globo Esporte has it slightly clearer:

"Felipão fez nova mudança no intervalo: Maicon no lugar de Daniel Alves. Antes de o treino recomeçar, Luiz Gustavo, Fred e principalmente Neymar, com suas novas chuteiras douradas, conversaram e gesticularam bastante com o técnico.

O lateral-direito não deu sorte e fez gol contra, mas Oscar empatou novamente em atividade movimentada. David Luiz, com dores nas costas, foi poupado e deu lugar a Dante."

http://m.globoesporte.globo.com/fut...e-titular-de-felipao-em-treino-na-granja.html

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes, I had my doubts because of "entretanto", but then again, it is Lance we are talking about....

23. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Globo.com had the coletivo ao vivo Alves scored the own goal, unless the Real time updater guy messed up royally.

24. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    First good news Alves benched.. Maicon starting

25. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Paulinho starting in place of Gustavo